2016 Shelby GT350 will start at $47,870 MSRP, GT350R will start at $61,370 MSRP

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
What do you speak of. The 4.5 FPC from Ferrari puts out 562 and 398 with a great mpg of 12 and 18. Much better than high single digits from the muscle car era!

That's irrelevant. No cars from that era were getting "great" gas mileage. Look at it comparatively. The 562HP/398TQ 4.5 FPC V8 in the Ferrari is rated at 12/18 while the 550HP/510TQ 5.4 S/C V8 in the '11/'12 GT500 was rated at 15/23. The LSx engines are rated in the high teens city and high twenties highway. So relative to other [larger] V8s on the market, the FPC isn't fuel efficient.

johnny-longtors

Haikeeba!
Established Member
Easily. Talking about $10,000+ wheels.
Really? You think that high even at Ford's cost? Actually - I remember seeing the CR9 wheels when CarbonRev first came up in the news being $15k/set.
Still waiting to see "FR3V-1007-NB" pop up on a parts list somewhere :)

$_57.JPG

Last edited:

Voltwings

Established Member
i tried calling the dealership and ordering Recaros for my 5.0. I figured since they were a $1500 option when pricing the car that they should cost about that much, but then the dude tells me $6k :eek: . I asked him why it cost so much more when it was only a $1500 option, and he said anything off the make line, expect to pay 3-4 times as much ... I would expect those wheels to be pricey.

03VertGT

GT350 Incoming
Established Member
i tried calling the dealership and ordering Recaros for my 5.0. I figured since they were a $1500 option when pricing the car that they should cost about that much, but then the dude tells me $6k :eek: . I asked him why it cost so much more when it was only a $1500 option, and he said anything off the make line, expect to pay 3-4 times as much ... I would expect those wheels to be pricey.

You'd be better off buying them directly from a recaro dealer and just getting them embroidered.

RaceRedSnake

Established Member
I am thrilled the Ford engineers did not put DI on the Flat Plane Crank engine in the GT350. I am thinking that by not having DI on the FPC engine, Ford was able to keep the price of the GT350 lower than we expected. As of right now , I don't think there is enough aftermarket support for DI to allow an enthusiast to greatly increase the performance of a DI engine without spending a large some of money. I think the Ford engineers know Mustang owners like to modify their Mustangs and made it easier for the Mustang owner by permitting the owners to modify their engines with time proven technology. I am sure that Ford will offer DI on the FPC in the future once DI is more commonplace on engines. There is no need to rush to DI with such good aftermarket support for regular fuel injection engines.

johnny-longtors

Haikeeba!
Established Member
I am thrilled the Ford engineers did not put DI on the Flat Plane Crank engine in the GT350. I am thinking that by not having DI on the FPC engine, Ford was able to keep the price of the GT350 lower than we expected. As of right now , I don't think there is enough aftermarket support for DI to allow an enthusiast to greatly increase the performance of a DI engine without spending a large some of money. I think the Ford engineers know Mustang owners like to modify their Mustangs and made it easier for the Mustang owner by permitting the owners to modify their engines with time proven technology. I am sure that Ford will offer DI on the FPC in the future once DI is more commonplace on engines. There is no need to rush to DI with such good aftermarket support for regular fuel injection engines.
DI just moves the injector away from the intake and closer to the combustion chamber - the parts involved remain essentially the same. If Ford saved any money it would purely have been in R&D. DI is generally more effective at getting power from a fuel charge, so IMO they didn't do us any favors by not working out a DI system. I would be astounded to think they put all this work into the FPC engine program and DIDN'T do DI, so my assumption is it is being reserved for the coming GT500.
As far as aftermarket and tuning - as stated, mechanicals are largely the same, and tuners like HP would simply have to work out any new programming.

I'm sure some of you will disagree with me, but I've not seen a lot of benevolence from Ford, it's all about the money. If these cars (and trucks) weren't still selling this well we'd not be having this conversation. I'm glad they're doing a GT350 - but they're making PLENTY of bank per unit on this car - aside from the engine there's zero "astounding new tech" on this car. If they want to do the enthusiasts a """favor""", unlock production on the "R".

jtfx6552

Established Member
I don't think not having DI is much of a savings. As mentioned above, make the "R" just another option.

Also bummed at the inability to get a tech pack and a track pack with a rear seat, or a nice stereo with Recaros.

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
Really? You think that high even at Ford's cost? Actually - I remember seeing the CR9 wheels when CarbonRev first came up in the news being $15k/set.
Still waiting to see "FR3V-1007-NB" pop up on a parts list somewhere :)

did you get that used wheel off ebay?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
There is no need to rush to DI with such good aftermarket support for regular fuel injection engines.

I doubt that the decision to hold off had anything to do with the aftermarket but rather one of cost and necessity. I have a sense that Ford is waiting on DI with respect to the 5.2/Coyote until Federal fuel economy mandates, EPA regs, and GG tax rates become so ridiculous that Ford has little choice.

johnny-longtors

Haikeeba!
Established Member
Also bummed at the inability to get a tech pack and a track pack with a rear seat, or a nice stereo with Recaros.
lol - Ford's history of "You can't take from Column A and Column B" and the bloat of some option packages have always baffled me, but it all started with "Ford 2000" in the late 90s - eliminating the massive number of build iterations for a single platform. I just assume it's a "line" thing in terms of assembly inefficiencies in not allowing a "loaded" car....

did you get that used wheel off ebay?
It went up to $360. I was a little compelled to try and land it - but it's pretty beat, and the odds of me getting an "R" look dimmer every day.... I passed.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Point made by RaceRedSnake was correct re: cost. Investment required to convert 5.2L to DI and certify is eye watering.

johnny-longtors

Haikeeba!
Established Member
Point made by RaceRedSnake was correct re: cost. Investment required to convert 5.2L to DI and certify is eye watering.
I guess this surprises me since they had to certify a new engine anyway. Clearly I don't understand enough about the certification to understand why direct injection would add that much more cost over non-DI when the entire thing is being certified anew.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
Imo these prices are all great news! I built out a lightly optioned base GT350 and it came to 55670 with gas guzzler and options..... Then I noticed it was only 63670 for the same optioned R.... You gotta do the R for that price difference. Carbon brakes and wheels with weight savings for 7k is a steal!!

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Imo these prices are all great news! I built out a lightly optioned base GT350 and it came to 55670 with gas guzzler and options..... Then I noticed it was only 63670 for the same optioned R.... You gotta do the R for that price difference. Carbon brakes and wheels with weight savings for 7k is a steal!!

No carbon brakes. But weight savings and coolers and wheels yes

03VertGT

GT350 Incoming
Established Member

You guys are acting like buying an R is as simple as walking to a dealer and placing the order.

Last edited:

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
No carbon brakes. But weight savings and coolers and wheels yes

Yep. Looks like Ford bailed on the CC brakes. I'm actually fine with that because the last thing that I had been seeing was that there would be CC rotors up front and steel in the back, which makes no sense to me. I guess they couldn't hit the profit margins by including CC brake rotors

You guys are acting like buying an R is as simple as walking to a dealer and placing the order.

Same could be said for the base GT350. Neither of these cars is just a phone call away from being had. My hopes of acquiring one are pretty much dashed. There are going to be too many boneheads willingly paying exorbitant markups which will make it basically impossible for more sensible buyers to get one.:whine:

Users who are viewing this thread