2020 last model year for GT350?

nmp1

Established Member
wouldnt be surprised. the car has remained largely unchanged for 6 years and sales will likely decline with the introduction of the gt500. just yesterday i was speaking to my father about how every 2-3 years the GT gets more power and refinement yet the gt350 has only had some minor option changes since 2015. if 2020 is the last year and it doesnt come back with a manual or at all the 2020 models might hold their value very well. i was gonna wait to see what next year brought but i might have to pick one up now.

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
wouldnt be surprised. the car has remained largely unchanged for 6 years and sales will likely decline with the introduction of the gt500. just yesterday i was speaking to my father about how every 2-3 years the GT gets more power and refinement yet the gt350 has only had some minor option changes since 2015. if 2020 is the last year and it doesnt come back with a manual or at all the 2020 models might hold their value very well. i was gonna wait to see what next year brought but i might have to pick one up now.

Performance wise, a PPL2 GT is already knocking on the door of a 2015 GT350.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yes, it is Sid. One has to wonder why Ford hasn’t given the GT-350 more power over that 5 year period. Then again, we’re talking about Ford. I don’t expect them to make decisions that always make sense. Except for maybe this one.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

ANGREY

Established Member
Performance wise, a PPL2 GT is already knocking on the door of a 2015 GT350.

I disagree. It's apples/oranges. The PP2 uses upgraded rubber. It also has a shittier trans and it's a one lap wonder in any hot conditions where the diff will boil and limp.

With equal rubber, they're not comparable and tires aside, the PP2 doesn't have the requisite cooling components which prompted to the '15/'16 class action lawsuit.

The previous gen GT500's were known as one lap heroes until heat soak sets in.

So in a sense you're correct, but for anything other than a lap or two with a tire advantage, the GT350 is appreciably better.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
If the 2020 Bullitt was available with the PP2 package I prob would have seriously considered that over my new shelby, just because I like that color green so much

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I disagree. It's apples/oranges. The PP2 uses upgraded rubber. It also has a shittier trans and it's a one lap wonder in any hot conditions where the diff will boil and limp.

With equal rubber, they're not comparable and tires aside, the PP2 doesn't have the requisite cooling components which prompted to the '15/'16 class action lawsuit.

So in a sense you're correct, but for anything other than a lap or two with a tire advantage, the GT350 is appreciably better.

Should have been more clear. I was speaking to the experience the average buyer will have on the street.

ANGREY

Established Member
Should have been more clear. I was speaking to the experience the average buyer will have on the street.

Completely agree. Outside the novelty of the FPC and the other features (wider stance, upgraded trans, big brakes, wheels, etc) there's little "street" value for owning a GT350. If I wanted a street car, i'd start with a GT.

Marketing wise, now that the 500 is new boss, the GT350 is a tweener car for pure enthusiasts and track nuts. Which is a VERY limited market.

Probably doesn't help that they've had countless warranty claims on it.

ANGREY

Established Member
biggest question in my mind is, will this be the last manual transmission shelby ever made?

Most likely the last one made by Ford/License. You'll probably be able to get manuals from Shelby American for years to come until Ford totally phases out the MT (or future 6 speed makes).

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
biggest question in my mind is, will this be the last manual transmission shelby ever made?
Great question.

Regarding the ‘20 being the last year, I would believe it but the Romeo Niche line said they had a 2-year contract to build both 5.2s on the same line, which would mean a ‘21 GT350, but then again a week later that plant was scheduled to close. The Niche line is moving to another local plant after Romeo closes.
Either way, I’m really thinking of picking up a ‘20 GT350 to boost and drive now and wait another year for last year of the GT500.
It’s a memorable car, been a good run either way.
-J

pwrshft99

Established Member
Ford should have offered it for atleast a year or two with the DCT as an option.

If the trans is robust enough for the GT500, it should live behind the Voodoo as well.

nmp1

Established Member
Ford should have offered it for atleast a year or two with the DCT as an option.

If the trans is robust enough for the GT500, it should live behind the Voodoo as well.
i thought about that too but in the eyes of most people it would just seem like a lesser gt500. the trans is one of the main aspects that sets it apart.

nmp1

Established Member
so after reading the recently leaked 2021 mustang vin decoder it seem like not only is the gt350 gone, but the voodoo engine will be no more as well. the new mach 1 will likely get the current bullitt engine. with the loss of the gt350 it seems like a lot of unique mustang aspects will be no more. with all this said if things dont get any more crazy this year i might have to pick up a 2020 gt350r before the year is up.

fearthesnake

Established Member
so after reading the recently leaked 2021 mustang vin decoder it seem like not only is the gt350 gone, but the voodoo engine will be no more as well. the new mach 1 will likely get the current bullitt engine. with the loss of the gt350 it seems like a lot of unique mustang aspects will be no more. with all this said if things dont get any more crazy this year i might have to pick up a 2020 gt350r before the year is up.
All by design and part of Ford's continued cost cutting measures.

If I had to guess, Ford has taken a beating on all the Buyback/Lemon GT350s out there. I've noticed about 4-5 dealers in the U.S. that sell these specifically and there are constant supplies of them which is what makes me nervous about buying one.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

That's 1 aspect of "performance"... On track.

Just about everywhere else the PP2 car is very close .. 1/4 mile, stopping, other "street" car meaures.

Added bonus is the PP2 wont rattle your teeth out lol.. i kid!

nmp1

Established Member
All by design and part of Ford's continued cost cutting measures.

If I had to guess, Ford has taken a beating on all the Buyback/Lemon GT350s out there. I've noticed about 4-5 dealers in the U.S. that sell these specifically and there are constant supplies of them which is what makes me nervous about buying one.
the buyback cars were predominantly 15/16 cars correct? i havent heard to many issues with the later cars.

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
the buyback cars were predominantly 15/16 cars correct? i havent heard to many issues with the later cars.
If you're talking about buybacks after engine failures, the gentleman who sifted through tons of online social media and forum posts and built a web page around the data determined that 15's had no reported failures and the 16's had a few. The highest numbers were 17's and 18's. The jury's still out on 19's and newer. There's a thread on this forum about it.

nmp1

Established Member
can you post the link on here?

i also just took a look at the cost for a ford extended warranty, insane. 3x as much as a GT500. is that due to all the issues?

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
can you post the link on here?

i also just took a look at the cost for a ford extended warranty, insane. 3x as much as a GT500. is that due to all the issues?
Having bought an extended warranty for both an Explorer and a GT350, I have no idea what you're talking about. The costs weren't very different.

GT350 Engine Failure: By The Numbers - Overrun

Users who are viewing this thread