20th Anniversary SVT Cobra in 2013

Fastlane Cobra

Established Member
Will there be one? It would be nice if there were a successor model produced for my 10th Anniversary Cobra. SVT does still exist but to which capacity? Well it is a bit confusing these days because things say "Powered By SVT" and "SVT Performance Package" these days and they do still have the passion but do they have the capability and legal rights to produce a SVT Cobra without the Shelby name. Nothing against Shelby but since that name re-emerged on the cobra the prices sky rocketed. No........seriously Shelbys also deserves their own anniversary model. And Shelby builds their own version of the GT500 called the "Super Snake" so it would be nice for a exclusive SVT Cobra as an anniversary model in 2013. They are half way there starting with the SVT Performance Package model. Increase the power output to 575-600 HP??? just for show because the car is plenty powerful. Add some lightweight seats, remove the rear seats, and add bracing like the BOSS for starters. That would attract me to spend over 50 large.

The big talk lately is regarding the changes to come in 2014. But there is no reason to not go out with a bang using the current GT 500 basic design with a bit more power, unique parts, and an even further reduction of excess pounds by using lightweight materials where possible. Just a demonstration of what they can do using Ford Racing parts and removing some of the excess STUFF for example.

Cobra "R" type anniversary model perhaps!!! SVT you have one year to provide the goods or to wake me from my dream.

Last edited:

FORD4U

Established Member
me too, i wont be able to afford it but i can still love it, plus if its made i might be able to get one ten yrs later lol

RAPTOR5V

Firing on all 8
Established Member
I don't see them ever dropping the Shelby name at this point

haskett

Established Member
I have no problem with all of the special editions. It keeps the variety high. It helps with upgrade parts. I remember the 80's and 90's (now im dating myself) when everyone was complaining about the lack of variety!

Anyway, I see it as unlikely they would produce one, but I'd love to see a 20th anniversary car in the same philosophy as ours.... Great bang for the buck. Unfortunately, the Shelbies don't provide that.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I could be wrong but I was under the impression that the Shelby connection was a fixed time period and that it is about to expire soon, without renewal.

IMHO our next high performance Ford product needs to be light and nimble.
The BOSS is an impressive product, but it's still too heavy, in my view.
Current available power levels combined with a significantly improved and smaller chassis with lighter weight will be an awesome new Mustang.

I really don't care what they call it. SVT would be nice for the top version, but if SVT is scattered all over Ford and no longer a real team and they are just going to be using the letters, then don't bother.

I just hope they keep aiming high with the performance expectations like they did with the BOSS program.
Then they can name it anything they want.
:pop:

SPEEDRACER88

I didn't pick your car
Established Member
I could be wrong but I was under the impression that the Shelby connection was a fixed time period and that it is about to expire soon, without renewal.
:banana:

Jimmysidecarr said:
IMHO our next high performance Ford product needs to be light and nimble.
The BOSS is an impressive product, but it's still too heavy, in my view.
Currrrent available power levels combined with a significantly improved and smaller chassis with lighter weight will be an awesome new Mustang.

There is no excuse for a 3900# (or what ever the pigs weigh now) Cobra... none!

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I am certain Ford will be using a much higher level of Boron steel in the new smaller/lighter chassis and it will still pass the crazy stupid crash tests the NTSA(or whoever is in charge of that stuff)throws at it with flying colors.
Just like the Fiesta did.

Except this car is going to ROCK. I expect everything to improve and I doubt I'll be disappointed.

It will accelerate faster, lap faster, brake better, crash test better, get better MPG and it will even look better. It will even have more and cooler electronics, which we already pretty much have the best of now.

What are they going to do go backwards?:shrug:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I totally agree with Jimmy and others that any special high performance Ford needs to be lighter. IMO no heavier than the 2003-2004 Cobra. I'd love to see a max of 3,500 lbs. :)

haskett

Established Member
Impossible, the Cobra stopped production in 2004.

While I agree that it's unlikely that Ford will produce a 20-year anniversary Cobra, the fact that production stopped doesn't prevent Ford from re-starting. There are countless examples of this.

MVD

Established Member
While I agree that it's unlikely that Ford will produce a 20-year anniversary Cobra, the fact that production stopped doesn't prevent Ford from re-starting. There are countless examples of this.

Correct, but if they do restart the Cobra they would only be on the 12th edition, not the 20th like was originally asked ;-)

Fastlane Cobra

Established Member
"One Ford" and fuel economy may prevent future SVT vehicles

Correct, but if they do restart the Cobra they would only be on the 12th edition, not the 20th like was originally asked ;-)

Well the anniversary model represented 10 years of SVT not 10 years of the SVT cobra. SVT built a Contour, Focus, Lightning, worked on the Ford GT, Raptor, GT500 powertrain, and the SVT Performance Package for the GT500. Shelby or not, the car says "Powered by SVT" on the motor. That means that this specialty team of engineers and developers will have been around for 20 years in 2013 as an entity or division within Ford. Let's see one last example of their passion and capabilities. After 2013 the "World Ford" engineers will be fully integrated into Dearborn and who knows what will be next.

I can see it now, the German, Austraillian, Brazilian, Asian, and British Ford Engineers will have a say so and influence in future high performance vehicles. I can hear them asking in their own respective accent......Who is SVT?? And then singing together: We Are ONE FORD.....We are Ford's Children. Laugh now, cry later. They will never be on the same sheet of music for developing high performance vehicles. I hope I am wrong. But each represent their own design philosophy in the high performance arena and this may cut against the grain when it comes to future SVT products. Aussies - 5.8L Falcon, Europe - Focus RS and Focus ST, Asians tend to turbocharge and China's market will influence heavily, Brazil is heavily into Flex Fuel. Research Research Research and see where this is all headed. One last hurrah for SVT before it is to late.

A good read: Ford: Epiphany in Dearborn | The Economist

Ford of Brazil: http://media.fordvehicles.com/article_print.cfm?article_id=23555

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread