3 0f 5 Teaser

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
Obviously, there is talk of Ford's "turbocharged", "Ecoboost" and "forced induction" powertrains being "mainstream". Phrases like "track credible", "free revving", "low inertia" and "a lot of horsepower" are used.

What we can see from the video, which hopefully provides real clues is that the car(s?) shown does not look to have carbon ceramic brakes (which was rumored), but does appear to have a 2-piece rotor:
SGvcOO.jpg

Nor does it have carbon ceramic wheels (another rumor):
JGl9QQ.jpg

It also does not have a CF driveshaft, as was in the '13/'14 GT500:
XEcSJO.jpg

But there is use of carbon fiber, or CF composites. This appears to be similar to the CF composite header that Nissan uses on the GT-R:
cgqTpG.jpg

The upper intake appears to be a port-style, plastic composite piece (i.e. no top mount PD blower as in the GT500's):
Ad4yXE.jpg

IMO, this is going to be an Ecoboost version of the 5.2 liter V8. The composite intake has me think possibly otherwise, as IMO they'd use a cast aluminum piece if they were boosting it. But I think it's going to have turbos. This car is probably going to weigh 3800+ lbs.. Their target should be at least 650 hp unless they simply want to be on equal footing with the Camaro Z28, which is outgoing in a year or two.
And yes, I know that Tob went to great lengths and detail in combing through the Ford parts lists and found the 5.2 "NA" hipo nomenclature. ;-)
Also bear in mind, such an engine may be F150 bound. Ford worked out the kinks in the V6 Ecoboost in relatively limited production vehicles such as the SHO, MKS and Flex high performance variants and then moved it to the F150. Better to do a limited production rollout and work through the kinks in thousands of production cars rather than 10's of thousands of trucks, again IMO.

I could be completely wrong, but I guess we'll know on Monday. If this is a 600+hp car, I'll be replacing my GT500 with one. And I'll track the hell out of it just like I do with my '13. If not, the GT500 will be around for a few more years.
S.

HEMI LOL

Twin Screwed
Established Member
IMO, this is going to be an Ecoboost version of the 5.2 liter V8. The composite intake has me think possibly otherwise, as IMO they'd use a cast aluminum piece if they were boosting it. But I think it's going to have turbos. This car is probably going to weigh 3800+ lbs.. Their target should be at least 650 hp unless they simply want to be on equal footing with the Camaro Z28, which is outgoing in a year or two.
And yes, I know that Tob went to great lengths and detail in combing through the Ford parts lists and found the 5.2 "NA" hipo nomenclature. ;-)
Also bear in mind, such an engine may be F150 bound. Ford worked out the kinks in the V6 Ecoboost in relatively limited production vehicles such as the SHO, MKS and Flex high performance variants and then moved it to the F150. Better to do a limited production rollout and work through the kinks in thousands of production cars rather than 10's of thousands of trucks, again IMO.

I could be completely wrong, but I guess we'll know on Monday. If this is a 600+hp car, I'll be replacing my GT500 with one. And I'll track the hell out of it just like I do with my '13. If not, the GT500 will be around for a few more years.
S.

you're waaaaayyyyyyy of. this car is NA.

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
you're waaaaayyyyyyy of. this car is NA.
Perhaps. We will know on Monday.

People also thought it had CC brakes and S550 GT's were going to be a couple of hundred pounds lighter than the S197's. Both were false. This car doesn't even have a CF DS, so not sure where they will save any weight and would expect this to weigh at least as much as the '13/'14 GT500. At that weight, an NA 500-550 hp version will be about as quick as a Z28, or C7.
S.

HEMI LOL

Twin Screwed
Established Member
Perhaps. We will know on Monday.

People also thought it had CC brakes and S550 GT's were going to be a couple of hundred pounds lighter than the S197's. Both were false. This car doesn't even have a CF DS, so not sure where they will save any weight and would expect this to weigh at least as much as the '13/'14 GT500. At that weight, an NA 500-550 hp version will be about as quick as a Z28, or C7.
S.

there are two versions of the GT350. the one being teased and the R model. some option will be available a la cart.

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
there are two versions of the GT350. the one being teased and the R model. some option will be available a la cart.
I haven't found any credible info to support two versions (heck, Ford hasn't even confirmed it is a GT350). Do you have any links to this?
S.

Dizzyscure1

Established Member
The engine was spied to have made 600hp, supposedly they wanted to lower the power to 550, Idk. But that exhaust note isn't from a Turbo car, at least that ive heard in stock form. I think itll be 550-600 NA range and shooting for 3500-3600lbs and yes with an auto available.

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
The engine was spied to have made 600hp, supposedly they wanted to lower the power to 550, Idk. But that exhaust note isn't from a Turbo car, at least that ive heard in stock form. I think itll be 550-600 NA range and shooting for 3500-3600lbs and yes with an auto available.
If they can get the weight to 3500# and make 600 hp NA...well then, take my money. Please.
But the Premium GT just tested by MT weighed in at 3814#. Getting ~300# out of it will be very hard to accomplish.
S.

Dizzyscure1

Established Member
If they can get the weight to 3500# and make 600 hp NA...well then, take my money. Please.
But the Premium GT just tested by MT weighed in at 3814#. Getting ~300# out of it will be very hard to accomplish.
S.

Yeah i Agree, but sir ive got to dream!! Hahaha!!! Yeah when i say 3814#'s i was sick! Do you Mod your cars Snorman? I know this GT350 has to do work on GM, since the Z/28's arrival we cant take being dominated like that ;)

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I haven't found any credible info to support two versions (heck, Ford hasn't even confirmed it is a GT350). Do you have any links to this?
S.

This car doesn't look to employ the available technologies that we thought it would. Personally, I believe there will be an R model and that we will see the kitchen sink bolted to that one.

Users who are viewing this thread