3.5L Ecoboost Retro-Fit

walt460

SN95 Judge
Established Member
As far as I know, Ford Racing has not released the 3.5L Ecoboost Controls Pak as yet. I have spent a lot of my free time working on wiring for 3.5L EB with 6R80. I have one vehicle running, performs well just like when it was in the 2011 F150, and I have done harnesses for 2 other swaps that are not yet complete. (These swaps always take more $$$ than people expect, and you need a lot of custom-made items besides just the wiring harnesses. P/S solution, custom intercooler, driveshaft, mounts, BIG radiator, trans cooler, air intake system, etc. etc.)

I am now working on wiring for 2 different 5.0L/6R80 projects. The first swap was into a 93 Fox body and it started and ran but not on the road yet as owner has decided to get the back-half done and it is in a shop for that. Second project has the engine and trans installed but he is having trouble finding all the factory harnesses I need. (TIP: buy a rolled or wreck 2011-2015 F150 that lot drives, then you will have everything you need to make the 3.5L or the 5.0L run with a 6R80, and in the long run it is way cheaper as you can sell a lot of the parts you do not need.)

walt460

SN95 Judge
Established Member
I have a fwd lincoln s 3.5 ecoboost 2012 motor i want to put this motor in my 1957 t-bird rwd AUTO what trans would u use ?

Sorry, but the FWD 3.5L Ecoboost use a completely unique bellhousing bolt pattern. I am not aware of any RWD Ford automatics that will bolt-up to that FWD engine.

s23218

3.5 Eco Boost ina 2010 Adrelin V8

Hi; just picked up a complete 3.5 twin turbo and will be installing in my 2010 Sport Trac. V8 is nice but need something different with more HP and reg gas. I have a 2011 F150 drop out which I was going to use but the v6 is something a little different. Have to finish some projects so this will be a future project. Pleas,e useless comments, I'm doing because I can, it's different, and don't need any V8 suggestions or a blower. if you know someone who has does a twin turo swap and havee factual suggestions I'll all ears. Opinions are like Ass Holes, every has one and we have in the WH now, don't need any more.
Thanks
Don

walt460

SN95 Judge
Established Member
Hi; just picked up a complete 3.5 twin turbo and will be installing in my 2010 Sport Trac. V8 is nice but need something different with more HP and reg gas. I have a 2011 F150 drop out which I was going to use but the v6 is something a little different. Have to finish some projects so this will be a future project. Pleas,e useless comments, I'm doing because I can, it's different, and don't need any V8 suggestions or a blower. if you know someone who has does a twin turo swap and havee factual suggestions I'll all ears. Opinions are like Ass Holes, every has one and we have in the WH now, don't need any more.
Thanks
Don

Don,
A 3.5L Ecoboost in a Sport Trac would make a fun ride. But since the V6 Ecoboost requires a lot of other parts to make it run correctly, please list what items you got with the engine, and what vehicle the V6 is from. For example, you need 6 wiring harnesses as well as the PCM and BCM modules and the engine must be from a RWD application. Did you get the 6R80 trans? Getting all the required parts together before committing to the project will really help you understand the extent of work required.

Walt

s23218

3.5 Eco Boost in a 2010 Adrenalin V8

Hi Walt; I bought the engine, trans, wiring harness, computer, gas pedal and all the inter-cooler parts. I have also ordered a complete air cleaner (don't know if it will fit but wanted to start with a complete engine as Ford delivered it. It "appears' that all the plumbing is there, trans harness, oil and fuel lines so I "think" I have a complete "drop out". I've checked with Ford Motors Sports and they have a 3.5 EB harness available but it's for a six speed STANDARD. I want a completely stock looking ST when done and my Mustangs area all standard, the ST will remain an auto. Any help will be greatly apprciated as I'm in the planning/parts gathering stage right now.
Thanks
Don
Hobe Sound Fl. 33455
[email protected]

walt460

SN95 Judge
Established Member
Don,

I will glad to help any way I can, sounds like a great project.
Do you want to keep posting on here and share progress with others or do you want me to contact you directly via your email?
Walt

s23218

Hi Walt;
Just started to accumulating parts and data. I know this will be a long road and have a 66 "Shelby replica" convertible to finish 1st. I will be doing a lot of "research and when I do the actual installation I'll keep a COMPLETE photo file which I'll post. I plan to make it look like the factory did it using as many original parts as I can. Anything you can think of will be a big help, I'm sure. I know this will be a long drawn out process so any way you'd like communicate is OK with me. I just can't stand all these people who must "comment" but never have anything to contribute.

Thanks

Don
[email protected]
(772) 486-7763

walt460

SN95 Judge
Established Member
OK Don, I will email you my contact info. Sounds like you have all the critical items, so whenever you are ready to start, let's talk about the best way to integrate the 2011's electronics into your 2010 Sport Trac.

Vmaximus

Established Member
Walt, I am about to start on a Ranger 3.5 twin turbo swap. I have built many 5.0 swaps and had some in the magazines. But now I want to build a really nice hotrod Ranger. I could use any info you could give me on installing this engine and also any tips for this motor. My plan is to get the motor, trans, computer and harness's out of a wrecked F150 so I will have the whole package. Then install a chip and few bolt ons and get about 450 hp out of it. If you would like to discuss it I would like to talk to you about this if your interested in helping. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to talk on phone about my project let me know and I'll give you my number. Thanks.

walt460

SN95 Judge
Established Member
Walt, I am about to start on a Ranger 3.5 twin turbo swap. I have built many 5.0 swaps and had some in the magazines. But now I want to build a really nice hotrod Ranger. I could use any info you could give me on installing this engine and also any tips for this motor. My plan is to get the motor, trans, computer and harness's out of a wrecked F150 so I will have the whole package. Then install a chip and few bolt ons and get about 450 hp out of it. If you would like to discuss it I would like to talk to you about this if your interested in helping. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to talk on phone about my project let me know and I'll give you my number. Thanks.

Vmaximus,
Would be glad to help any way I can, 3.5 EB Ranger should be awesome ride for sure.

When you get the engine and trans from wrecked F150, get the gas pedal, the shifter (column or floor), the fuel pump and sender along with the fuel supply line from the tank going forward with the in-line pressure sender attached. Get the Fuel Pump driver module that is mounted on a frame crossmember just above the rear axle. You need the PCM of course and a lot of wiring harnesses. Get the intercooler and all that plastic tubing it you can, all the way to the throttle body (MAFS is in tube by air cleaner, just make sure you get that tube with MAFS and ACT).

Wiring; make sure the engine harness is on the engine and also to auto trans harness.

1. Engine harness is a 12C508. If your engine has a harness, great we can use it as it is with no modifications required.

2. Trans harness is 15526. Again, this is a separate harness from the trans to the PCM. It will not require any modifications.

3. We then need the PCM harness which is that big harness the runs from the BCM (Body Control Module in passenger side kick panel)to the PCM (on the passenger side firewall) and then completely around the engine compartment and into the kick panel on driver's side and connects to gas and brake pedal. This is a 12A581 harness. It is BIG and long and has a large rectangular fuse box included in the harness. it will need a lot of modifications.

4. We need the dash harness which is 14401, which has the PATS as well as ignition. We need this for either a column shift or a floor shift, which ever he wants as they are different, but they are not engine specific so any such harness from a F150 with the desired shifter location will work. It does need to be modified.

5. Shifter harness, either 14B079 for console or 14C685 for column shift (these are not engine specific) but they do need to be modified.

6. Fuel pump control harness 14405. Any 2011-2014 F150 harness will work. I can buy new from Ford for about $200. Either way, it needs modifications.

Make sure you get the current sensors that are on both the positive and negative cables at the battery.

The reason a lot of people do not do this swap is that it is really involved with both the plumbing on the engine and the wiring.

Once you have all the above wiring, you can decide if you want to tackle the wiring job or send the wiring harnesses to Hotwire Auto in Arkansas to do for you. They charge about $1000 but what you get is a really nice harness all labeled and made-to-length for your truck. (Hotwire can not get all the connectors from Ford or suppliers, so they will reuse some of yours.)

I will message you with my phone number, just give me a call to discuss anytime.

Walt

Vmaximus

Established Member
I'm very seriously thinking about doing this swap in a flare side ranger. I have built many 302 V8 swaps, both carburated and fuel injected. Buying a wrecked F150 truck and getting everything I need out of truck then try to get it to work in a Ranger. 365hp stock then put chip in computer for 425hp. Should make a really nice "parts getter". Could use your expertise though. Could you respond to an email from me so I'll have your info then we can talk. huge thanks in advance. [email protected] Oops, just now saw post from you on this subject. Thank you so much.

Last edited:

Vmaximus

Established Member
Contact

Vmaximus,
Would be glad to help any way I can, 3.5 EB Ranger should be awesome ride for sure.

When you get the engine and trans from wrecked F150, get the gas pedal, the shifter (column or floor), the fuel pump and sender along with the fuel supply line from the tank going forward with the in-line pressure sender attached. Get the Fuel Pump driver module that is mounted on a frame crossmember just above the rear axle. You need the PCM of course and a lot of wiring harnesses. Get the intercooler and all that plastic tubing it you can, all the way to the throttle body (MAFS is in tube by air cleaner, just make sure you get that tube with MAFS and ACT).

Wiring; make sure the engine harness is on the engine and also to auto trans harness.

1. Engine harness is a 12C508. If your engine has a harness, great we can use it as it is with no modifications required.

2. Trans harness is 15526. Again, this is a separate harness from the trans to the PCM. It will not require any modifications.

3. We then need the PCM harness which is that big harness the runs from the BCM (Body Control Module in passenger side kick panel)to the PCM (on the passenger side firewall) and then completely around the engine compartment and into the kick panel on driver's side and connects to gas and brake pedal. This is a 12A581 harness. It is BIG and long and has a large rectangular fuse box included in the harness. it will need a lot of modifications.

4. We need the dash harness which is 14401, which has the PATS as well as ignition. We need this for either a column shift or a floor shift, which ever he wants as they are different, but they are not engine specific so any such harness from a F150 with the desired shifter location will work. It does need to be modified.

5. Shifter harness, either 14B079 for console or 14C685 for column shift (these are not engine specific) but they do need to be modified.

6. Fuel pump control harness 14405. Any 2011-2014 F150 harness will work. I can buy new from Ford for about $200. Either way, it needs modifications.

Make sure you get the current sensors that are on both the positive and negative cables at the battery.

The reason a lot of people do not do this swap is that it is really involved with both the plumbing on the engine and the wiring.

Once you have all the above wiring, you can decide if you want to tackle the wiring job or send the wiring harnesses to Hotwire Auto in Arkansas to do for you. They charge about $1000 but what you get is a really nice harness all labeled and made-to-length for your truck. (Hotwire can not get all the connectors from Ford or suppliers, so they will reuse some of yours.)

I will message you with my phone number, just give me a call to discuss anytime.

Walt

Walt if you would like to talk about the swap my number is 615-500-1447

pjb03

Established Member
I'm thinking about this swap with the 6R80 in my 72 Maverick Grabber. Thoughts?

038_zps66wsjkgf.jpg

034_zpscfvwhpqk.jpg

superpsd

I am kicking the idea of an ecoboost swap. I see that the controls pack is out. I actually was kicking the idea of going down the unknown road with the 2.7 a few have been showing up in yards. That is if the controls pack could be latched to a 2.7 with minimal changes granted the calibration would need to be adjusted. I have software for self tuning of Ford's older Ecus. What does everyone use for the newer Ford pcms? I also see that QuickTime now has 5 different bellhousing adapters.

Last edited:

Jack Hidley

Established Member
All of the Ford ECUs that run the Ecoboost engines are from Bosch with Ford software. I'm not aware of any company that has software available to properly tune these ECUs yet. I have seen some people do it, but it is a hack job.

superpsd

It seems like the SCT pro software supports GDI but I think the software costs a good sum for an end user. Hack job or not someone is tuning these things. These ecoboost engines are making good power with additional tuning. I would also assume tuning a stand alone control pack would be easier than an factory pcm with integrated can bus nodes and transmission control. Almost seems easier to machine GDI plugs, build a sheet metal port injected intake and disable TIVCT and tune with an older ECCV with EDIS. But that would defeat the purpose I suppose.

Last edited:

Prairiedog14

Walt
I am now ready to proceed with a retrofit 3.5 Ecoboost into my 64 F-100. Would you be able to give me some time for a few lingering questions?
My cell is 360-399-9586.
Thanks. Greg

Users who are viewing this thread