3.5L Ecoboost Retro-Fit

Jack Hidley

Established Member
Some updated information.

QuickTime now has a RM-8087 bell housing available that bolts the 3.5l/3.7l engine to an aftermarket T56 transmission (the models with the midplate and hydraulic throwout bearing).

I do not believe that the 3.5l Ecoboost engine will need a vacuum pump for vacuum assisted brakes. The vast majority of turbo cars with throttle bodies that have vacuum assisted brakes, do not have vacuum pumps. In the case of the F150, I suspect that Ford installed one since the engine may be at high load (positive intake manifold pressure in this case) for long periods of time when towing. Without the vacuum pump, the vacuum reservoir could run out of vacuum.

One thing that is interesting is this.

The S197 Mustang has two different versions of the MT82 and 6R80 transmissions. This is because the Coyote engine uses the modular engine bell housing bolt pattern, but the 3.7l engine uses this new 3.5l/3.7l bell housing bolt pattern.

walt460

SN95 Judge
Established Member
Jack, you are likely correct on the need for a vacuum pump, not being needed when using the 3.5L Ecoboost in a mustang.

Good to hear that some aftermarket companies are stepping up with transmission options for the 3.5/3.7L V6 family. The FWD and RWD 3.5L Ecoboost engines actually have different Rear Face of Block configurations.

americansteel

Banned
If you find a link to that 2001 Ranger 4x4 Ecoboost swap, please post. I can not seem to find it.

Right now, if you want to swap a low-mile F150 3.5L Ecoboost and 6R80 auto into a Ranger or Mustang, it is going to cost just under $10K for all the parts. That is about $6800 for the F150 drop-out kit of parts, plus around $3000 for; a air-to-air intecooler, larger radiator, oil cooler, trans cooler, driveshaft, Vehicle interface harness and PCM reflash, custom H-pipe, power steering pump mounting kit, trans mount mods, and engine mount mods (and/or tubular K-member for Mustangs).

walt that was an accident when I was writing about the eco-boost ranger swap I forgot it was a coyote swap into a grey ranger I don't know what I was thinking.

EcoBoostF100

EcoBoosted F100
Established Member
EcoBoostF100, great to hear from you, hope you are overcoming those health issues!

You got a super deal on that Ecoboost F150, great price. I have been watching auctions around Vegas area and I have not seen a running truck sell for under $6500.

I needed one that would start and lot drive, so it was easier (and cheaper) to transport. I needed to be able to make sure all the powertrain related electrical systems worked properly to insure I had a strong basis for creating a street rod around the Ecoboost engine using the factory PCM and wiring. So I knew I was paying a lot ($9800).

When I am done, I hope to sell the frame, axles and suspension, and some interior bits to reduce my costs.

Mine ran great and everything worked but the rear axle was too damaged to drive it . .

Hoping to get back on it very soon!

Jroc

Established Member
Some updated information.

QuickTime now has a RM-8087 bell housing available that bolts the 3.5l/3.7l engine to an aftermarket T56 transmission (the models with the midplate and hydraulic throwout bearing).

I do not believe that the 3.5l Ecoboost engine will need a vacuum pump for vacuum assisted brakes. The vast majority of turbo cars with throttle bodies that have vacuum assisted brakes, do not have vacuum pumps. In the case of the F150, I suspect that Ford installed one since the engine may be at high load (positive intake manifold pressure in this case) for long periods of time when towing. Without the vacuum pump, the vacuum reservoir could run out of vacuum.

One thing that is interesting is this.

The S197 Mustang has two different versions of the MT82 and 6R80 transmissions. This is because the Coyote engine uses the modular engine bell housing bolt pattern, but the 3.7l engine uses this new 3.5l/3.7l bell housing bolt pattern.

Can you not just use a 96-04 Mustangs factory hydroboost unit, or convert to a hydroboost setup in a vehicle that comes factory with vacuum assisted booster? I put a hydroboost unit from a wrecked 02 PSD in my L and it was very easy, and cheap to do, and works great with a much improved petal over the old vacuum assisted booster. I would think in something smaller like a Ranger you could use a Mustangs hydroboost until, and it would be plenty good for a vehicle it's size. Hell a 96-04 Mustangs hydroboost unit might even be plenty for a 1/2 ton truck. I know that a lot of these newer vehicles use some electric steering or whatnot, and I'm not a expert on how they work, but am I correct in assuming that they do not have powersteering pumps to power a hydroboost unit?

I think that a Ecoboost motor in a Ranger FX4 would make for a badass little compact truck if you could do it for a reasonable price. That would make for one little torque, strong pulling SOB that would likely get better MPG's than a Rangers factory v6 motors.

Last edited:

Jack Hidley

Established Member
Ford uses electric steering racks in all of the applications that use Ecoboost engines. The engines do not have any extra bosses cast into them to mount a power steering pump. This makes it challenging to mount a PS pump for a hydroboost unit.

It is not really possible to retrofit an electric steering rack into a vehicle without the correct sensors, buss and control system. The racks themselves are quite nonlinear and require the correct data from the buss to have good steering feel.

In my case, I'm putting the engine into a 1987 Mustang. I'm keeping the hydraulic PS, so the PS pump will go where the a/c compressor was.

rtfrew

Okay, I just purchased a 07 V6 Coupe, I also purchased a 3.5TT and the fun begins...
My intentions are to first get the eco running right and tuned, then get it to hook up proper maybe with 3 stage air ride, then Shelby Mustang wide body kit.

Last edited:

walt460

SN95 Judge
Established Member
Okay, I just purchased a 07 V6 Coupe, I also purchased a 3.5TT and the fun begins...
My intentions are to first get the eco running right and tuned, then get it to hook up proper maybe with 3 stage air ride, then Shelby Mustang wide body kit.

rtfrew,
Please keep us posted on your progress/plans. Not a straight forward swap as the '07 was the older (4.0L SOHC) V6 engine. I hope when you bought the 3.5L Ecoboost that it is from a F150 and you got the engine and trans as well as all the wiring and electronics including the PCM, the BCM, the FPCM, the cluster, the steering column with the SCM and the PATS keys.

walt460

SN95 Judge
Established Member
Jroc,

You are correct in assuming that 2011 and new F150s and Mustangs do not have a power steering pump. So, when doing a swap involving a 2011 & newer engine from a F150 or a Mustang, you need to either figure a way to install a PS pump onto the new engine, or convert to EPAS steering.

Sounds like you put Hydroboost into your Lightning, can you tell me where (what vehicle) you got the hydroboost unit? (02 PSD, not sure what that means.)

Thanks

Jroc

Established Member
Jroc,

You are correct in assuming that 2011 and new F150s and Mustangs do not have a power steering pump. So, when doing a swap involving a 2011 & newer engine from a F150 or a Mustang, you need to either figure a way to install a PS pump onto the new engine, or convert to EPAS steering.

Sounds like you put Hydroboost into your Lightning, can you tell me where (what vehicle) you got the hydroboost unit? (02 PSD, not sure what that means.)

Thanks

True.

PSD = Powerstroke Diesel. I got my booster off Ebay and it came off a 02 F250 with a PSD motor. The gas motors use a vacuum assisted booster while the diesels use a hydroboost unit when talking 3/4 ton trucks and Excursions.

Here you go. Hope you have a good internet connection.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...-go-the-Hydroboost-route&highlight=hydroboost

wizern23

Jroc,

Thanks

what do you mean by convert to EPAS? if i bought a wrecked f150 would i have all the necessary parts to complete the swap? besides any custom mounts or whatever that i would need.

walt460

SN95 Judge
Established Member
Correct, the F150 Ecoboost has electric steering, so PS pump is mounted to engine. I am going to use the 2011-2014 Mustang electric steering rack and modifiy the Fox MM K-member to mount it in a 1992 Mustang. I will use the F150's vacuum pump and the Fox's Vacuum brake booster.

I have the engine running properly with modifications to the factory harness to eliminate all the unwanted modules. After some more testing, I will be taking the drivetrain out of the F150 along with the needed/wanted other components to start a swap into the 1992 Fox body.

Prairiedog14

Have been reading your posts with great interest. I am presently planning to swap a 3.5 EB with auto into my 1964 F100, using a wrecked F150 as a donor.
Researching a HELMS wiring book I have been able to solve a lot of questions, but a few remain....
Questions: 1 Can the power steering control module be defeated, or ignored? 2 Can the anti-lock brake system be defeated, or ignored? (Including the wheel sensors). 3 In one comment string I noticed the steering column and key being needed. Can you explain that please?
Thanks for all the good info. This seems like a perfect fit for me.

walt460

SN95 Judge
Established Member
Prairiedog14,
1. I have not eliminated the Power Steering Control module, but I think you can do so without any issues.
2. ABS can be eliminated including the wheel sensors.
3. You do not need to keep the steering column, but you must keep the ignition key, ignition switch, & PATS key sensor. The engine will not start/run without these. You must keep the BCM as that is where the PATS system takes the key code and communicates with the PCM.

Don't forget that you need to keep the shifter and the wiring that runs from it to the PCM and BCM. Connector C328 contains all these wires. Up/Down shift control, starter interlock (Park Detect), and part of the key detect circuit run through here. Check out page 37-2 of the 2011 F-150 Wiring Diagrams manual.

Walt

Geezerstang

Walt, sounds like you've got the wiring figured out. Could be a good side business converting harnesses for swaps. I've been interested in the ecoboost swap since they came out, but the electronics are more than I want to attempt. Probably a lot more like me that would pay someone to modify the factory harness.

walt460

SN95 Judge
Established Member
Ford Racing is still planning to have a Controls Pak for the F150 3.5L Ecoboost, now planned for 2nd Quarter of 2015. This system will be for MT applications only (Ford F150s only come with the 6R80 auto, but.....). I heard at SEMA that PCS will have a stand alone 6R80 controller out in about 6 months, so roughly the same timing.

That is not the path I am using.

walt460

SN95 Judge
Established Member
Geezerstang,

Making a hot-rod harness for the F150 3.5L Ecoboost from the factory harnesses was a ton of work. It took weeks of studying wiring diagrams and over 100 hours of fabrication. You can not just strip-out unwanted wires, you need to make changes to make it work. The resulting control system is still very complex as compared to your typical hot rod wiring kit.

I did take notes and created new schematics for the changes required. But, it would take a skilled tech about 40 hours ($2000. labor cost) to do it after I trained them, and I don't think customers would pay that. I do not think any wiring supplier can make these harnesses as the connectors required are just not available from Ford or their suppliers.

For anyone that is interested in putting a F150 3.5L Ecoboost and 6R80 into a project car or truck, I highly recommend you buy a wrecked F150 that runs and lot-drives. The parts you need to do the swap are way too expensive to buy from Ford.

At SEMA this year I learned that Ford Racing now plans to have their Controls Pak for the 3.5L available 2nd quarter 2015 (Manual trans only) and that PCS will have a stand-alone 6R80 controller available in about 6 months. But from what I have learned about the factory control system, I do not think using separate systems will ever result in the street performance of the factory PCM.

Talleywacker

Established Member
Thanks for the information. I'm planning on sticking a 3.5L ecoboost and 6r80 into a 94-04 ranger regular cab. Everything I see the motor should slide in with only the need for making the mounts for motor/trans and I have an aluminum driveshaft from a Lightning I'll be modifing to fit the ranger. Set of draglites/skinnies/DR, brakes, 10 point cage and all the misc crap but my goal is to have a 9.8-10.2 truck.

I apprecaite the information you posted. Hopefully the control pack from ford racing will turn out to be decent. The PCS unit will be decent. I know the OEM solution would be ideal but cost prohibited.

We will see how this shakes out.... till then I'm buying the ranger first and then getting the cage/seat/harness work done then straight to the rearend/suspension/brakes.... will get everything track ready and then if the motor doesn't work out I'll resort to a 302.

Jack Hidley

Established Member
FYI, the 3.5l Ecoboost swap that Truck Tech (Trucks) is doing into a 55 received their prototype controls pack from FRPP a few weeks ago. It lloks like 2nd quarter of 2015 is a realistic date.

Chris68F

68 F100 Crown Vic front Explorer 4 Link

Hey bro just got through reading your post and very impressed to say the least. I'm new to SVTP but need somewhere to plug in so here goes.. I'm working on 2 projects right now the first being a 68 F100 with 04 crown Vic front end and 4 link 98 Mercury mountaineer rear end on dominator 2600 bags. Chassis is complete so I'm ready to install 13 Ecoboost engine. (Have a complete 13F150 running with 30k miles) after reading your take on wiring the complete truck up (without Ford control pac) im heavily leaning n control pac direction if they will ever release it!! Lol Anyway really just introducing myself to forum and wondering how to upload pics as I have some really awesome photos for building custom air ride truck. Thx for all the info!!
Also have a new coyote engine T56 going in 89 Fox body coupe (over 30k in new parts for fox) so it looks like I found the right place to plug in. Thx again

Users who are viewing this thread