4:10 gears

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
at 80 my mach is at 2700 or soo. thats still a chill rpm on the freeway. like i said 430s all the way.. get 410s youll wish you got 430s

My buddy in Hawaii has 4.56's in his 01 Cobra.....then again he does mostly City driving. Says he loves it though.

I'm pretty happy I got 4.10's personally. A Happy medium since I do about 70% highway driving. Still get 27mph @ the speed limit:rockon:

Last edited:

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
at 80 my mach is at 2700 or soo. thats still a chill rpm on the freeway. like i said 430s all the way.. get 410s youll wish you got 430s

Yeah? 4:30's would be sick. Just not sure:shrug:

My buddy in Hawaii has 4.56's in his 01 Cobra.....then again he does mostly City driving. Says he loves it though.

I'm pretty happy I got 4.10's personally. A Happy medium since I do about 70% highway driving. Still get 27mph @ the speed limit:rockon:

But then again i do about 50% highway driving. So i might just stick with the 4:10's. Like you said a happy medium, thats what i want.

Nor Cal Mach

I love this AMERICAN RIDE
Established Member
^ you have all the stuff i plan on doing in the near future so i guess i know what i can expect lol just ordered my 4.10s went with FRPP i cant wait:dancenana:

Thanks man you wont be disapointed when its all done. Im thinkin about what I want to do next but im not sure. what do you think PM me so we dont jack this thread.

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
Stay on the thread!!! I love seeing what you guys are doing to ur cars. Gives me ideas!:rockon:

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Ok so after saving up alot of money ive decided to keep my Mach naturally aspirated. Im guna do exactly what Mach1USMC said. Im doing a PHP Spacer, 4:10 Gears, then Long tubes, then full suspension, then maybe maybe maybe ill do a 100 shot. Thanks Mach1USMC and Ponygt65! You guys know your sh** and i really appreciate all the help!:beer:
No problem.
Watch it with the LT's in CA. Try to find a shop that is LT smog friendly. Also if you plan on doing a lot of dig races and using 'nice tires' I would highly consider going with a 31 spline setup when you upgrade the gears. If not, I would at least front the $250 for 28 spline hardened mosiers.
NP- and ponygt65 def knows what he's talking about. ....another you can look to for inspiration is 03AV8R. His Mach is SICK.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451161&highlight=03av8r

This is an old thread on how to get your Mach into the 11's. Some great info in there (as well as some serious BS.:lol:)

GL bro.:beer:
Thanks for the props guys....I'm definitely not as sharp as a lot of others out there though. I appreciate the nice feedback dont' get me wrong. I'm jsut here to help where I can.:beer:

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
No problem.
Watch it with the LT's in CA. Try to find a shop that is LT smog friendly. Also if you plan on doing a lot of dig races and using 'nice tires' I would highly consider going with a 31 spline setup when you upgrade the gears. If not, I would at least front the $250 for 28 spline hardened mosiers.

Thanks for the props guys....I'm definitely not as sharp as a lot of others out there though. I appreciate the nice feedback dont' get me wrong. I'm jsut here to help where I can.:beer:

LOL:lol: I was literally just about to ask you what spline i should go with when i do my gears. I saw that the other guy had snapped his rear axle when he went to do his first launch with the 4:10's. Not sure if i asked this before but whats the difference between 28 spline and 31 spline? And im guna go with Motive gears and Moser axles.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
LOL:lol: I was literally just about to ask you what spline i should go with when i do my gears. I saw that the other guy had snapped his rear axle when he went to do his first launch with the 4:10's. Not sure if i asked this before but whats the difference between 28 spline and 31 spline? And im guna go with Motive gears and Moser axles.

Personally I'd go with 31 or 35 spline. 35 might be overkill for under 500 RWHP- but once you get the mod bug it's hard to stop.:rockon:

Don't forget a good clutch.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
It's the number of splines or 'teeth' on the axles/carrier/gearing. More teeth, the stronger they are.

Personally I'd go with 31 or 35 spline. 35 might be overkill for under 500 RWHP- but once you get the mod bug it's hard to stop.:rockon:

Don't forget a good clutch.
It really depends on what he's planning. Most guys go with 31s and are fine. I've seen a few guys with 33 spline's, and rarely 35s.

It really comes down to grip and stick with the Torque. If you can't afford it right now, and you aren't going to be using DR's much, then the hardened (stronger metal) 28 moser's should be fine. If you can afford it, and plan on doing some DR racing, then I'd up for hte 31s (or 33s for future as MACH1ISMC states).

As for clutch?...again that depends on what you're doing. If you're not going to spray it much, especially with a 100 shot, I would just ride out the stocker for a while. But, it'll save time, $$, and potential headache to change it now with the rear dropped. Just be a few more bolts to take everything else to do the clutch. Ya just have to call and ask. I'd compare prices on having it done with the rear, and how much later.

As for which clutch?...I'm sure a spec stg 2 would be fine. I dont' have first hand experience with them though, so some one else may be better suited to answer.

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
Sweet! I was looking at the Motive and Moser gears and axles and i was curious. They have the 7.5" and the 8" and the 8.8" axles. Whats the best?

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Sweet! I was looking at the Motive and Moser gears and axles and i was curious. They have the 7.5" and the 8" and the 8.8" axles. Whats the best?

Mustangs have 8.8 rears. Call your local shop that's doing your rear end and get a price to upgrade the rear to a 31 spline setup. :beer:

Correction...new mustangs come stock with 8.8s..dont' wanna confuse anyone.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
It's the number of splines or 'teeth' on the axles/carrier/gearing. More teeth, the stronger they are.

It really depends on what he's planning. Most guys go with 31s and are fine. I've seen a few guys with 33 spline's, and rarely 35s.

It really comes down to grip and stick with the Torque. If you can't afford it right now, and you aren't going to be using DR's much, then the hardened (stronger metal) 28 moser's should be fine. If you can afford it, and plan on doing some DR racing, then I'd up for hte 31s (or 33s for future as MACH1ISMC states).

As for clutch?...again that depends on what you're doing. If you're not going to spray it much, especially with a 100 shot, I would just ride out the stocker for a while. But, it'll save time, $$, and potential headache to change it now with the rear dropped. Just be a few more bolts to take everything else to do the clutch. Ya just have to call and ask. I'd compare prices on having it done with the rear, and how much later.

As for which clutch?...I'm sure a spec stg 2 would be fine. I dont' have first hand experience with them though, so some one else may be better suited to answer.

Buddy of mine is running 35's on a 9in with 4.10's and a spool in his 99 bolt on Maro.....pretty sick setup.

I guess the thing I am thinking about is plan for the future. I'd rather have STOUT stuff from the get go than have to upgrade everything everytime I get more HP. Which is why I currently have a Spec3 clutch. Besides it's not that much difference in price between the 31/33/35 splines...or between the clutches. At the end of the day even if you don't get all the HP increasing mods you'll have a bullit proof setup no matter which direction you go.

Last edited:

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Buddy of mine is running 35's on a 9in with 4.10's and a spool in his 99 bolt on Maro.....pretty sick setup.

I guess the thing I am thinking about is plan for the future. I'd rather STOUT stuff from the get go than have to upgrade everything everytime I get more HP. Which is why I currently have a Spec3 clutch. Besides it's not that much difference in price between the 31/33/35 splines...or between the clutches. At the end of the day even if you don't get all the HP increasing mods you'll have a bullit proof setup no matter which direction you go.
Oh I agree.....I'm just trying to point out to try and avoid too much overkill. LOL. I agree with what you're saying though.
Um, well first off i would recommend this website: http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=A883153+01, $20 less than ^^^, and secondly my buddy just did his 4:10's and some clutch work and his total for install was $560. So im guessing somewhere around 1k for Gears, Axel and install.
They provided gears, clutch, install kit, fluid and everything?...that's pretty good. NOthing against that shop, but when It comes to gears, If it's a darn good price, I tend to stay away. ONly because gears can be finiky.

Nineonesix

Established Member

Nineonesix

Established Member
Oh I agree.....I'm just trying to point out to try and avoid too much overkill. LOL. I agree with what you're saying though.
They provided gears, clutch, install kit, fluid and everything?...that's pretty good. NOthing against that shop, but when It comes to gears, If it's a darn good price, I tend to stay away. ONly because gears can be finiky.

Also I just got quoted roughly $600 for 4.10's. Here's my questions. Would a auto hit hard enough to warrant 31

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
They provided gears, clutch, install kit, fluid and everything?...that's pretty good. NOthing against that shop, but when It comes to gears, If it's a darn good price, I tend to stay away. ONly because gears can be finiky.[/QUOTE]

Yeah i agree! Im guna shop around and get some quotes.

Im not going to go through the checkout process, but does that site offer free shipping. Also American muscle gives us a 6% discount.

And im actually not sure what the total is after tax and shipping. But im guessing if you get 6% off and free shipping it'll be roughly the same.

Users who are viewing this thread