4:10 gears

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
Looking into getting some 4:10 gears for my Mach. I hear it wakes these cars up. What do you guys think? And who makes the best gears?

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
Depends what your plans are for the car. If a power adder is in your future, 4.10's or less will be fine. If you plan on staying N/A go 4.30 or 4.56. You won't regret it.

torrence

TwinScrewed CHAMP!
Established Member
4.10's are a monster gear that you will LOVE.... Get them and don't look back... The car will be quick as hell.... lol

03CobraJet

Established Member
If the car is NA get 4.30 they work really well and are not bad on the highway. 65 mile an hour cruze is @ 2300 rpms. With the 4.56 gear the car will kinda be running with its tougne out of its mouth at the top end of the track if you plan on racing it. Also, Motive Gear makes FRPP. Richmond makes a nice gear to.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
If you are getting FI I would stick with 3.55's....unless you're getting a T56 or T6060.

+1

From what I've been told (was going to do it myself) 3.73s are a nice match to FI cars. For N/A one step lower in gears doesn't do much, but it makes a diff. in FI.

Could always go 3.90s with FI..LOL

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
Well im doing the eaton swap for sure now. So with that in mind whats best? Ive thought of doing 3:73's before but i just heard that 4:10's are better.

Mach1jack

Established Member
I put FRPP 4:10's and love them. At the track it will hit over 6K, whereas with the 3:55's I was either running it out in third or just shifting at the end of the 1/4. Get 31 spline at the same time and only do the job once. I went with strange. There is a guy on Mach1Registery.org, Joe Charles, that has great prices on FRPP stuff. Look for itlrun.

xCoNtroL SpasMx

Established Member
I put FRPP 4:10's and love them. At the track it will hit over 6K, whereas with the 3:55's I was either running it out in third or just shifting at the end of the 1/4. Get 31 spline at the same time and only do the job once. I went with strange. There is a guy on Mach1Registery.org, Joe Charles, that has great prices on FRPP stuff. Look for itlrun.

could not agree more.... i put my 4.10s in last year and on my first launch ever on slicks last week i grenaded my driver side axle. my rear end is being re built right now, would have been sooooooo much easier to do it all at once

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member

could not agree more.... i put my 4.10s in last year and on my first launch ever on slicks last week i grenaded my driver side axle. my rear end is being re built right now, would have been sooooooo much easier to do it all at once
You guys are N/A
4.10's will be useless with the Eaton....
+1

Unless you go with a T56, or make this a track whore, I wouldn't match a stock block, 3650, eaton and 4.10s. 373s or stock. IMO

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Whats 3650?

Tremec 3650 is the 5 speed transmission found in Machs. I believe 02+ Mustang GT's and 99-01 Cobras also have them.

Positive displacement blowers on low geared street driven cars are useless because boost comes on at a relatively low RPM. Your shifts would have to be lightning fast making it not very street friendly.....@ 60 MPH your right @ 2k RPM's in 5th w/4.10's

With a T56 or T6060 @ 60 with 4.10's your more like 1700 RPM. You would have a little more time between shifts but still not real user friendly on the street. W/ a positive displacement blower (Eaton, KB, Whipple etc) I'd say 3.73's would be good on stock boost if you're going to see a lot of track time. But as soon as you start upping the boost- you're going to want a different gear. That's why you see lots of high HP guys going with the Viper spec T56 setup.....which uses 3.31's I believe. (like Wolverines 1100 RWHP 95 Cobra for example)

All I can say is that experience may be the best teacher for you......try 4.10's and find out. You can always switch back to 3.55's or something else. Only problem is between parts and labor you're talking about a 1200-1500 dollar "expirement". GL:thumbsup:

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
I was thinking about going with a built T-56 for awhile, but i just thought it was alot of money to spend to get one extra gear.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
I was thinking about going with a built T-56 for awhile, but i just thought it was alot of money to spend to get one extra gear.

To do a build correctly it will cost some $ initially. But it's kind of like the old theory in construction- measure twice cut once. In other words, if you build it correctly the 1st time you shouldn't have to tear it down to fix something that could have been down correctly first. Cutting corners in high HP builds usually ends up costing you more $ in the long run. IOW if you want a RELIABLE high HP setup assemble the heavy duty parts over time if necessary then do the whole thing at once. Granted you may not have the setup right away but a few months down the road you'll have a killer 500-600 (or more) rwhp setup that will last many thousands of miles.

Another thing you may want to look into especially if you are getting gears is a built auto tranny. Your track times will be a lot more consistant and streetability will be a lot easier.

Users who are viewing this thread