5.0 Fox vs 97 Cobra.. Who wins?

mr2cam

Established Member
Tomorrow is looking better, 30 degrees but sunny, traction will be a problem but they can go from a roll just for kicks, the fox is on street tires and 1st and 2nd is useless for him anyway. I'll get em to do it tomorrow if Dusten is gonna be here.

mr2cam

Established Member
Man he really can't drive

Hes got some clutch issues, and 2nd gear grinds pretty bad, the clutch is extremely stiff and for it to grab in any gear his foot has to be all the way to the floor. If he had a nice clutch then he could powershift and im betting he would run some better times. He also has all cats with a shitty flowmaster catback and it hasn't been tuned. With a tune/off road xpipe/new clutch it would be an easy low 8 in the 1/8th. He also needs a linelock too, even with him footbraking he isn't getting the best burnouts.

Fox Fan

Average guy
Established Member
First off.. the car you linked is awesome, I still have the vid on my computer.. it is a pleasure to hear a pushrod 302 based car turn almost 9,000 rpms.

HOWEVER, that is a racecar... The majority of us are still talking about street cars... For a race car.. there are high 9 second 306's running on MOTOR... but yet again, RACECAR. That's a whole different ballgame.

BTW if you had read my original posts you would of seen that I quoted him in saying

That combined with the fact he had said he ran 11.4 before made me believe that was the same motor. I care not read to much into it, I don't even read 5 pages when its pics and vids lol.

It's all good. JUST GET THE DAMN VIDEOS.

I'm not in disagreement with any of your points. Based on your user name, I'd say you have a pretty good head on your shoulders.

Chris

Stopsign32v

Established Member
Hes got some clutch issues, and 2nd gear grinds pretty bad, the clutch is extremely stiff and for it to grab in any gear his foot has to be all the way to the floor. If he had a nice clutch then he could powershift and im betting he would run some better times. He also has all cats with a shitty flowmaster catback and it hasn't been tuned. With a tune/off road xpipe/new clutch it would be an easy low 8 in the 1/8th. He also needs a linelock too, even with him footbraking he isn't getting the best burnouts.

So get a clutch and put it in. This should take all of half a day to go. And he has gears and other mods but he still has the factory midpipe? :bored: And the kid does not need a line lock in a bolt on car to do a good burnout. Driving lesson...maybe.

Topherbleh

Beer Master
Established Member
So get a clutch and put it in.

No money.

And he has gears and other mods but he still has the factory midpipe? :bored:

Car had the cat back on it. I took gears over exhaust. CAI was cheap.

And the kid does not need a line lock in a bolt on car to do a good burnout. Driving lesson...maybe.

I don't notice a difference in launch from a 5 second burnout compared to 15 second one, a line-lock would simply be a convenience.

mr2cam

Established Member
A line lock is more then just a convenience, when you foot brake it wrong you can partially lock up the rear tires and not get as much spin from them, and its a cheap install. But what do I know, I have only cut a 1.53 60ft on a 8" wide tire with 350rwhp and stock axles and irs.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
No money.

I don't notice a difference in launch from a 5 second burnout compared to 15 second one, a line-lock would simply be a convenience.

Well if you can't afford a $200 clutch and your 2nd gear is already grinding I would probably skip the racing for now until you can afford to fix something if/when it breaks.

I would have done exhaust over gears but thats just my opinion. Some of the most power you will get is from getting rid of the 4 cats and the 2 1/4" piping.

What kind of tires are you running? Are we talking street or track? Why do you want to spend money on a line lock because it is convenient yet you can't spend money on a clutch that is needed?

:dw:

Stopsign32v

Established Member
A line lock is more then just a convenience, when you foot brake it wrong you can partially lock up the rear tires and not get as much spin from them, and its a cheap install. But what do I know, I have only cut a 1.53 60ft on a 8" wide tire with 350rwhp and stock axles and irs.

There is nothing special about what you did. I had a 91 MR2 turbo and a retarded monkey can launch those things like a mad man with bigger than stock wheels.

And your excuses for the line lock because if you foot break it too much you don't get as much spin.... :dw: Like I said, learn how to drive right and these issues go away.

Topherbleh

Beer Master
Established Member
Well if you can't afford a $200 clutch and your 2nd gear is already grinding I would probably skip the racing for now until you can afford to fix something if/when it breaks.

I wasn't aware a new clutch would be only 200. I also lack the experience/knowledge to put one in myself and therefore would be spending more money in a shop.

What kind of tires are you running? Are we talking street or track? Why do you want to spend money on a line lock because it is convenient yet you can't spend money on a clutch that is needed? :dw:

MT drag radials on the track.

I didn't say I wanted to spend money on a line lock, nor is it on my list of "things to do sometime soon".

Stopsign32v

Established Member
I wasn't aware a new clutch would be only 200. I also lack the experience/knowledge to put one in myself and therefore would be spending more money in a shop.

MT drag radials on the track.

I didn't say I wanted to spend money on a line lock, nor is it on my list of "things to do sometime soon".

If you know how to turn a wrench then you can install a clutch. It is not rocket science.

And different tires like different typed of burnouts. I have never had MT DRs on the track but on the street a good rolling burnout in 2nd gear is enough to let me hook up. Nitto DRs you have to damn near melt them at the track. And my MT ET Drags I only do a burnout until I see smoke then I ride it out.

mystical

Established Member
[email protected] N/A

1998 Cobra, stock 4V engine, ported intake, bolt-ons, 4.56's, TKO500. Got lucky and got a 1.54 60' with some suspension tuning. Car goes consistent 11.9-12.0 with 1.6+ 60's in the Florida heat.

My car that I speak of, BTW.

:bs: all you want, I could careless....

Exactly what I was talking about but some just don't want to listen:beer:

Do you have any weight reduction? How's that TKO500 treating you, I've heard they don't like high rpm?

Last edited:

mystical

Established Member
No money.

Spend $150 and get an offroad H-pipe, will free up the exhaust and provide some weight reduction too, not to mention sound awesome with the flows. Trust me, it'll be the best $150 you'll ever spend! That stocker is choking you.

What tires will you be running when you race this guy?

Topherbleh

Beer Master
Established Member
Spend $150 and get an offroad H-pipe, will free up the exhaust and provide some weight reduction too, not to mention sound awesome with the flows. Trust me, it'll be the best $150 you'll ever spend! That stocker is choking you.

What tires will you be running when you race this guy?

It's next on the list. I will be running the MT's.

mystical

Established Member
It's next on the list. I will be running the MT's.

Good. Gears and tires are the most important. However, if you're having issues shifting you need to get that addressed, too. Is your clutch toast? What is the mileage on the car?

youngone

I hate ugly people
Established Member

DO NOT take it to a shop, I dont know about where you live but my buddy was quoted $900 for a clutch install in his Turbo Coupe, thats BS.

You and a few friends can handle it.

Got Boost?

Established Member
And your mods are????

Typhoon intake, E303 cam, Equal length shorties, O/R H, dumped flows, 3:73 gears, CAI.

ran the 9.2 short shifting the car at 5500, only my second pass ever - the car easily has 8's in it with a better 60 foot.

Last edited:

ModularSpeed

Suspension Guru
Established Member
Exactly what I was talking about but some just don't want to listen:beer:

Do you have any weight reduction? How's that TKO500 treating you, I've heard they don't like high rpm?

Welds, tubular suspension, coilovers on all 4 corners, RSD, gutted trunk, and a few other common reductions (amps in the trunk etc)

It now has a carbon fiber hood, no a/c, removed EGR/smog-air etc etc etc, cloth seat...instead of 2 leather seats, and a bunch of other pointless stuff I removed. Still isn't really a gutted race car or anything.

The TKO does fine. Occasionally it gives me some troubles around 6900RPM going into 3rd....but I just manhandle it. Grinds every time. lol And it has about $1200 into it (supposed to handle higher HP/TQ AND RPM)

The car actually has quite a bit more in it. It is just HARD to get it to run better times. Everything has to be perfect. If I could click off a perfect run the way the car sits right now, it could, and would, go 11.50's or better at 116+ I just have not gotten everything to work together yet.

Users who are viewing this thread