5w-50 oils

NuclearPower

Established Member
Motorcraft 5W-50 after 5000 miles

First, thanks UnleashedBeast for all the informative info that you have posted about the different oils. I will add another one for you to see if it is any different. I expect to get hammered :bash: for this but here goes...I just changed the original oil in my 2012 GT500. I had the original factory fill for 5000 miles. I will send it off tomorrow for analysis and will post when I get it. I would love help understanding it. I replaced it with Motorcraft 5W-50 because I have no mods and have a 100000 mile warranty.

Second, what oil do you recommend for me as I drive it daily 100 miles in south texas. It might get down to freezing every once in awhile and I don't intend on living any further north than Dallas. I am leaning toward RP 5W-50, or Amsiol 10-40 based on one of your other posts, BUT just read what you said about RP and the gas mileage. Help please... BTW I am running a Mobil 1 oil filter.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
No, Red Line 5W-50 is too viscous. Since it does not shear like Motorcraft, it never becomes a light 40 grade/heavy 30 grade lubricant. This will cost you a lot of fuel efficiency on the interstate. At most, I would do Amsoil 10W-40.

I sent you an email.

Last edited:

6-Speed

Established Member
Thanks JC,

You are correct about it being very popular in the performance world. BITOG members hold Rotella T6 5W-40 in high regards, and does return good UOAs.

Eager to see your UOA on it, and thanks for the future contribution.
Here's a recent VOA on the Rotella T6 5W40. T6 uses much more Magnesium based detergents/dispersant than other motor oils. Posts in the second link from a very respected BITOG member suggests that Magnesium tends to leave ash deposits in your engine unless the volatility of the base oil is low. However, I can't argue the popularity of T6 ... good dose of all the good stuff Zn, P, and a little Moly and Boron added to the mix, plus good TBN of 9.9.

Shell Rotella T6 5w40 VOA - Bob Is The Oil Guy

Calcium vs. Magnesium - Bob Is The Oil Guy

Last edited:

6-Speed

Established Member
First, thanks I just changed the original oil in my 2012 GT500. I had the original factory fill for 5000 miles. I will send it off tomorrow for analysis and will post when I get it. I would love help understanding it. I replaced it with Motorcraft 5W-50 because I have no mods and have a 100000 mile warranty.
It would be good to see another factory-fill UOA. The most recent FF analysis I've seen were from a pair of 2010 GT500s and they had some very low viscosity readings given their low miles; didn't look like any 5W50 motor oil I've ever seen.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Good post 6 Speed. I wasn't even thinking about the Magnesium additive used in Rotella.

I wonder if Ford is straying away from 5W-50 for the factory fill?

Users who are viewing this thread