5w-50 oils

Bulldogger

Established Member
From other members we see that Motorcraft 5w-50 oil is crap, so lets see if we can find some other quality oils.
We have some choices
Redline
Castrol
Mobil 1
Schaffers
Pennzoil
Valvoline
Does anybody have any UOA's on these brands as these are all 5w-50.

I think everyone would benefit if we can find a nice quality 5w-50 oil that will hold up, and has all the necessary ratings to satisfy the warranty requirements.

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
When I change mine ill send a sample of valvoline/roush oil 5w-50

DaFreak

Established Member
Guys,

What do you think of the Pennzoil Platinum 5-50? Looks kinda sexy but I've never used it. Thinking of giving it a go for about 1K then having the analysis done. Thoughts?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Excellent, can't wait to see it.

I will have a UOA on AMSOIL 20W-50 very soon.

sounds great

Guys,

What do you think of the Pennzoil Platinum 5-50? Looks kinda sexy but I've never used it. Thinking of giving it a go for about 1K then having the analysis done. Thoughts?

hey we would be glad for you to try it an then have it tested

Bulldogger

Established Member
Guys,

If you want to run the Pennsoil 5w-50, I will buy the mobil 1 5w-50 run it for 1000 miles then send it to blackstone and we can compare results. I'm in NY so the car will get stored once the snow hits or they salt the roads, so my results maybe a little slow.

Illtaketwlight

Established Member
If i was going to show everyone that my oil is the best. Wouldnt i just run two engines side by side and see which engine lasted longer ? Never seen that kind of test. Also if your so worried about your oil. Why would you run it longer. Because oil doesn't wear out. It just gets contaminated. So why would anyone run around with contaminated oil ?? When your running synthetic oil to maximize engine life. If dino oil is so bad for your engine. How do we get a million miles out of an engine ?? I run dino oil in our trucks and get one million miles out of an engine. They still run when we sell them. With at least one million miles or more. You guys are over thinking this. Buy a good brand oil and the gas is on the right. :beer:

cbarile

Established Member
i have almost 2,500 miles on castrol 5-50 synthetic. I am waiting on redline to be shipped and will change the oil. I am going to send some to blackstone for analysis. This way we all will no if its as bad as everyone is saying.

Illtaketwlight

Established Member
That test doesn't mean shit ether. Because just about all your wear is at start up. So one guy starts his car and drives 3K and then does a test. His oil will be much clearer and show less wear then a guy that starts his 3 or 4 times a day.

Bulldogger

Established Member
i have almost 2,500 miles on castrol 5-50 synthetic. I am waiting on redline to be shipped and will change the oil. I am going to send some to blackstone for analysis. This way we all will no if its as bad as everyone is saying.

I don't know if castrol is suppose to be bad just the Motorcraft oil is very poor

cbarile

Established Member
That test doesn't mean shit ether. Because just about all your wear is at start up. So one guy starts his car and drives 3K and then does a test. His oil will be much clearer and show less wear then a guy that starts his 3 or 4 times a day.

What test should i do? My car is not a daily driver, it gets alot of starts and driven short distances. This oil has been to the 1/4 mile once and gets spirited driving here and there. Mods are pulley, tune.

Last edited:

BigDan

Established Member
I was unaware that the Motorcraft was crap oil? I thought everyone just bitched due to the price, which doesn't bother me since I can a great deal from my local dealer because of my business account. $70 to my rural ass door w/ FRPP Filter same or next day delivery. I would feel more warm and fuzzy about switching oils if the competition offered the same weight 5w50 weight instead something close enough.

Another thing for me at least is convince, for the Motorcraft I just pick up the phone and have a cup of coffee and wait vs calling or driving all around trying to hunt down 7 quarts of said oil then its back to the dealer to get the filter then back home. My friends run royal purple in their 4 cylinder's and its like a scavenger hunt when they decide to change their oil because most places dont carry much of that oil so it usually means they have to drive around for a while to locate what they need, and I dont want to be doing the same unless im missing out of some kick ass oil.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member

We are looking for a lot more than just engine wear. We are looking to see how bad the oil is shearing (thinning) from a 50 weight oil. This is the big topic at the moment, but we are also looking for additive contents, and then wear metal content. Better oil base stocks with better additive packages will protect the engine better.

Bulldogger

Established Member
Ugh, API SM certified, no...think I'll pass.

Actually it is
SM/SL/SJ/CF and ACEA A3/B3 & A3/B4. Approved against MB 229.3 and VW 505.00. Porsche Approved.

Overseas it has been getting very good UOA's in supercharged applications.

Users who are viewing this thread