5w-50 oils

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
It may not last forever, but I bet my research and time invested to know what lubricants to use, and which ones to avoid, will allow my engine to last twice as long as those who pour whatever they can get their hands on into their engine.

It's not stupid, gay, or whatever else you care to call it. It's called prevention. Maybe if you would do the same thing in your daily life and avoid carbonated drinks, drinking water instead....you will live longer as well.

that's the kinda person you never wanna buy a used car from cause chances are its beat to shit an never been maintained.

Bulldogger

Established Member
that's the kinda person you never wanna buy a used car from cause chances are its beat to shit an never been maintained.

Exactly

Like the old expression:
" stupidity kills, just not often enough"

SmirkNOS

It is what it is!
Established Member
I love this thread. I'm also an oil, and maintanace freak. I just put Amsoil on my tranny. And let me tell you, you can feel the difference. My car only has 4800 miles, and the factory oil was already dark. Amsoil made the shifting feel smooth and I don't know if it's me but I'm noticing 1-2 miles per gallon increase. I think oil is very important if you plan to keep your Shelby for a long time. And I do plan that. Then is worth all this talk. To me these car are very special and in a few years we will really see how special and unique this bread is... Thanks for all the info and help,, I'm also on the quest to the best oil, keep it up. There are others like me that appreciate all the time invested and the research...

Carlos c

Established Member
I love this thread. I'm also an oil, and maintanace freak. I just put Amsoil on my tranny. And let me tell you, you can feel the difference. My car only has 4800 miles, and the factory oil was already dark. Amsoil made the shifting feel smooth and I don't know if it's me but I'm noticing 1-2 miles per gallon increase. I think oil is very important if you plan to keep your Shelby for a long time. And I do plan that. Then is worth all this talk. To me these car are very special and in a few years we will really see how special and unique this bread is... Thanks for all the info and help,, I'm also on the quest to the best oil, keep it up. There are others like me that appreciate all the time invested and the research...

Which one did you get?

Synthetic Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATFQT) or
Torque-Drive Synthetic Transmission Fluid (ATD1G)

Carlos c

Established Member
Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member

That's good to hear. Great feed back. If you could let use know which amsoil you used. I May also switch to that in my tranny.

Which one did you get?

Synthetic Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATFQT) or
Torque-Drive Synthetic Transmission Fluid (ATD1G)

+1

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
you guys are gay lol, its oil... the car isnt going to last forver, nor is the motor, and im sure everyone runs it hard on top of that. just my 2 cents

I guess its gay to want the best value for your dollar and to take care of things that you pay $50K+ for .... Whatever....:rollseyes

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member

I also use AMSOIL Synthetic ATF in my car, and what you have posted here are the same results I have experienced. My car has 2,600 miles so far, but the fluid was very dark in the transmission when I dumped it. The new fluid made it shift much better than before, and I don't fight to get it into 2nd gear.

This is what AMSOIL recommends for the T6060

AMSOIL Synthetic ATF

and I don't like to see people pay retail for oil. Buy it at dealer cost.

Becoming a Preferred Customer

Anyone ever sent a sample to 2 labs to see if they get the same result?

My next UOA will be sent to both labs, Blackstone and OAI. That way I can compare results, and insure an unbiased test.

Last edited:

2010KB

sfd
Established Member
I too have been in dilemma over what wieght and brand of oil to run. I have 2300 miles on my 2010 GT500 and due to warranty issues, i run Castrol 5W-50. In all my other vehicles I run a brand called Lurication Engineers (LE). Here's an opinion on the 5W-50 oil. I contacted a tech rep at Royal Purple and have a a friend who is a chemical engineer at LE and asked them both when their companies were going to market a 5W-50 engine oil. Both basically said the same thing - No and here's why. In order to hit the point spread (45) for a 5W50 oil, you really have to push the additive pack and it is their companies opinion that you cannot reliably refine and produce an oil with this large of a spread and have the additive pack hold together for any reasonable lenth of time (miles) and provide good protection. Therefore, they have no interest in producing a product which will not meet or live up to their standards. Both also stated that in their respective lines, they have multi-vis oils that will match and exceed the performance levels of the current 5W-50 oils that are out their. One of the manufacturers i mentioned does not manufacture a full synthetic in a multi-vis, however he stated if I truly wanted to run good mutli-vis full synthetic, he recommended AMSOIL, which is a competitor, but has excellent products. They both agreed that if warranty is my main concern, I don't have much of a choice. Just some info I thought I would throw out there and by the way, unleashed beast defintely has his ducks in a row when it comes to properties of oil.

Carlos c

Established Member
I also use AMSOIL Synthetic ATF in my car, and what you have posted here are the same results I have experienced. My car has 2,600 miles so far, but the fluid was very dark in the transmission when I dumped it. The new fluid made it shift much better than before, and I don't fight to get it into 2nd gear.

This is what AMSOIL recommends for the T6060

AMSOIL Synthetic ATF

Well the reason I asked which one is I have an 07 Shelby and it also showed the Torque-Drive STF (ATD1G). After your post I double checked and for 08 it only shows Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF. :shrug: guess they have a misprint somewhere..... I have a gallon of the Torque-Drive STF that I was going to use, good thing I didn't open it. Guess I will call Amsoil.

Robertt305

Devil Dog
Established Member

+1

Amen for amsoil tranny fluid

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I contacted a tech rep at Royal Purple and have a a friend who is a chemical engineer at LE and asked them both when their companies were going to market a 5W-50 engine oil. Both basically said the same thing - No and here's why. In order to hit the point spread (45) for a 5W50 oil, you really have to push the additive pack and it is their companies opinion that you cannot reliably refine and produce an oil with this large of a spread and have the additive pack hold together for any reasonable lenth of time (miles) and provide good protection. Therefore, they have no interest in producing a product which will not meet or live up to their standards.

This is what I have been preaching about 5W-50 formulations shearing down to a lighter weight oil with so few miles. Thanks man, for adding this tidbit of information, and reminding others why 5W-50 oils are NOT what they are made out to be. AMSOIL techs told me (via email) they have no intentions of formulating a 5W-50 for this very same reason. AMSOIL already has lubricants that exceed the performance requirement for the GT500 and have no need to make an inferior lubricant that will not do the job nearly as well.

Both also stated that in their respective lines, they have multi-vis oils that will match and exceed the performance levels of the current 5W-50 oils that are out their. One of the manufacturers i mentioned does not manufacture a full synthetic in a multi-vis, however he stated if I truly wanted to run good mutli-vis full synthetic, he recommended AMSOIL, which is a competitor, but has excellent products.

See, I rest my case. Even the "competition" knows AMSOIL is top tier.

unleashed beast defintely has his ducks in a row when it comes to properties of oil.

Thanks man, it's been six years since I began my quest to acquire the knowledge I would need to select the very best lubricants for my engines.

I found that in AMSOIL. Bang for the buck, and the best protection the industry has to offer. Just remember this....

In 35 years, NO ONE has ever made AMSOIL out to be snake oil. They have always come out on top, and if that wasn't true...the other companies would have called them out on it. No one (or testing) has done this to date.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread