5w-50 oils

Bulldogger

Established Member
I'm not fond of the lower amounts of ZDDP in formulas that conform to the SM standards.

I agree with that I just wonder what they are using as an anti wear additive because several of the UOA's were showing wear that was less then average. I'm gonna run it I bought 4 cases, and with shipping it only came out to 7.55/ quart. The stang has 250 miles on it so I'm just gonna dump that oil, fill up with the Mobil 1 and run it for 1000 miles then get it tested.

Carlos c

Established Member
I use AMSOIL 20W-50 also on the GT500 and Pennzoil Platinum on my Lexus. Mobile 1 is not what it use to be......

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I use AMSOIL 20W-50 also on the GT500

Excellent choice, so do I. You must get it tested the next time you change it. I will have a UOA very soon.

Mobile 1 is not what it use to be......

You are very right, it's riding on the reputation they built in the 70's and 80's. After Katrina, most of their formulations went to a group III highly refined petroleum "fake" synthetic, but they never told the general public this. The price increased, the quality decreased. Ultimate corporate deception. Although, in their defense, they were not the first to do this. Exxon Mobil took Castrol to court in the 90's because Castrol did the same thing, and Exxon Mobil protested their practice. The court sided with Castrol saying the petroleum was refined enough to consider it a form of synthetic, not a "full" synthetic. After group IV PAO base stocks became short supply after Katrina, Exxon Mobil jumped on the band wagon and reformulated, as did most oil manufacturers in America. The USA is the only country in the world to market a group III base stock as a synthetic.

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Excellent choice, so do I. You must get it tested the next time you change it. I will have a UOA very soon.

You are very right, it's riding on the reputation they built in the 70's and 80's. After Katrina, most of their formulations went to a group III highly refined petroleum "fake" synthetic, but they never told the general public this. The price increased, the quality decreased. Ultimate corporate deception.

i believe that mobil 1

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Will the oils with higher levels of ZDDP ultimately harm the CATs? Just looking to see what I compromise when going with a high ZDDP formulation.

If you are using an inferior base stock oil that has a higher NOACK volatility, yes....it will degrade the CATS life over time.

If you are using a superior base stock oil that has high ZDDP with a lower NOACK volatility, you will harm the cats no more than a inferior base stock with higher volatilty and lower amounts of ZDDP.

Let's make this easy.

Group IV base stock, High ZDDP, Low Volatility

is the same catalyst contamination ppm amounts as

Group III base stock, Low ZDDP, High Volatility

If the base stock evaporates less, it releases less additive. Simple math.

Has anyone thought of trying 5w40 Royal Purple?

My next run will be AMSOIL 10W-40. I want to see if I can pick up some engine efficiency with it, yet still protect the internals adequately.

Last edited:

lkatya

slow 4V
Established Member
I'm not fond of the lower amounts of ZDDP in formulas that conform to the SM standards.

+1 Which is why I run Redline. It's nice my local Napa Auto carries it too. I look forward to the test everyone provides. I'm still trying to figure out the best filter to run. I'm running a Mobil One but have read to many stories of how they can restrict flow. I'm thinking of just running a wix or motorcraft filter with my Redline oil.
On a side note I was looking at a bottle of zinc additive Lucas sells. They carry it at my local auto shop. Says it's for breaking in a motor. Was just wondering about possibly just running some good olé' Kendal straight 50wt Dino oil with abottle of this and seeing how it does. Probably do a great job and save a boat load of money.:shrug:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
+1 Which is why I run Redline. It's nice my local Napa Auto carries it too. I look forward to the test everyone provides. I'm still trying to figure out the best filter to run. I'm running a Mobil One but have read to many stories of how they can restrict flow. I'm thinking of just running a wix or motorcraft filter with my Redline oil.
On a side note I was looking at a bottle of zinc additive Lucas sells. They carry it at my local auto shop. Says it's for breaking in a motor. Was just wondering about possibly just running some good olé' Kendal straight 50wt Dino oil with abottle of this and seeing how it does. Probably do a great job and save a boat load of money.:shrug:

NO NO NO NO and NO!!!!

If you have to add anything to an engine lubricant for "performance improvement", you are using the wrong lubricant.

Please, don't do that. I would rather consistent UOAs from your Red Line than something off the wall.

:-D

Carlos c

Established Member

Yeah, I screwed up and didn't do when I changed my oil 3 weeks ago. It will be done for sure on my next oil change. I also use a FilterMag.

lkatya

slow 4V
Established Member
NO NO NO NO and NO!!!!

If you have to add anything to an engine lubricant for "performance improvement", you are using the wrong lubricant.

Please, don't do that. I would rather consistent UOAs from your Red Line than something off the wall.

:-D

Lol! Ya I was more curious about the concept but like I've said in the past, if Redline wasn't so easily available to me I'd be on the hunt for Amsoil.
I'm still curious about a filter to run and my test sample of the Redline will have no additives just some oil out of a motor that's been driven like I stole it. Been doing a shit ton of wot's and data logging to get my tunes dialed.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Can the op of this thread also post on the main page the links to the oil analysis places. Thanks

Bulldogger

Established Member
Okay I ordered the Mobil 1 5w-50 to test it. I don't think it will be too bad as they recommend it in the Mercedes SLR supercharged engine and like I said the UOA's came back very good. I'll post my results after using it.
How many miles are we going to run before testing? This way we can keep things accurate. I'm gonna use Blackstone Labs for testing.

Bulldogger

Established Member
Are we going to set up a sticky to compare UOA's? This way we can have results in one location and find the better oils to run.

2007ShelbyCobra

Established Member
you guys are gay lol, its oil... the car isnt going to last forver, nor is the motor, and im sure everyone runs it hard on top of that. just my 2 cents

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
you guys are gay lol, its oil... the car isnt going to last forver, nor is the motor, and im sure everyone runs it hard on top of that. just my 2 cents

It may not last forever, but I bet my research and time invested to know what lubricants to use, and which ones to avoid, will allow my engine to last twice as long as those who pour whatever they can get their hands on into their engine.

It's not stupid, gay, or whatever else you care to call it. It's called prevention. Maybe if you would do the same thing in your daily life and avoid carbonated drinks, drinking water instead....you will live longer as well.

Users who are viewing this thread