5w-50 oils

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I think most would agree that 20w50 would be the way to go in the warmer or less extreme climates. If you live in an extremely cold environment, then maybe 10w40 would be a better choice.

Bulldogger

Established Member
If the spread is too large for an additive package that is probably why you see it sheer to a 40 weight. The question then is does it matter if a 5w-50 brakes down to a 40 weight in say 3000 miles vs using say a 5w-40 to begin with??
I would probably take a 5w-40 over a 20-50 because I am in NY and it gets cold here. In Florida or Arizona or other year round warm climates I'd go the 20w-50 route.

BigDan

Established Member
so any one here gonna sell AMSOIL at cost for us

How bout cost + $5

That's the sale that 4x4OIL.COM offers a few time's a year.

link to Cost+ $5 POR thread
[ame=http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=10830352#post10830352]4x4oil.com Amsoil cost +$5 KOH Sale!!!! - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board[/ame]

He is a vendor on the Pirate4x4 forum and I usually jump on his cost + $5 sale to refill my 1 ton Ram with amsoil.

Tognotti's Auto / Truck / Import World in Sacramento is one of the last large speed shops and carries a whole aisle of amsoil products if you dont want to bother with independent salesman.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
May I ask where you are able to locate the Roush 5W-50 weight oil? Would love to purchase a case. Thanks..

i had bought everything JC whitny had they where selling it at $5.22 so i bought the last 35 units they had in stock. i know jegs use to carry it too

Carlos c

Established Member
Called Amsoil on the transmission fluid and they said Ford changed their formula from MA in 07 to a MA5 (Mercon V) in 08-up........??? Guess I will try the Torque-Drive since I already have it.

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
You already have the power to buy it at cost without a dealer.

Becoming a preferred customer

NEVER pay retail/catalog prices for AMSOIL.

im just looking for enough ATF for my tranny

How bout cost + $5

4x4oil.com Amsoil cost +$5 KOH Sale!!!! - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

He is a vendor on the Pirate4x4 forum and I usually jump on his cost + $5 sale to refill my 1 ton Ram with amsoil.

Tognotti's Auto / Truck / Import World in Sacramento is one of the last large speed shops and carries a whole aisle of amsoil products if you dont want to bother with independent salesman.

im just looking for enough ATF for my tranny

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Called Amsoil on the transmission fluid and they said Ford changed their formula from MA in 07 to a MA5 (Mercon V) in 08-up........??? Guess I will try the Torque-Drive since I already have it.

let us know

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
So what AMSOIL engine oil works best in the 500?

after multiple conversations with the gurus at AMSOIL, this is what will work.

In southern HOT climates where you see temperatures in the high 90's and heat index above 100*F use 20W-50.

In northern COLD climates where you see temperatures below 32*F frequently, and your summers are rarely hot, use 10W-40.

I would also like to add that I will be running 10W-40 AMSOIL for my next fill to test it in Florida's summer heat. I'm confident the UOA results will be excellent because Ford trusts this engine with a 5W-50 that shears easily to a 40 weight. Why can't I use a 40 weight that will not shear like Ford's oil? This will be a maximum protection versus efficiency improvement test.

Results to come Summer 2011'

Now, another poster commented about AMSOIL 5W-40 European formula to be considered for use in the GT500. I say, NO, and this is why.

It's doesn't have as good of shear protection due to the spread of cold "winter" weight versus normal operation temperature weight, versus the 10W-40. The 5W-40 has a much lower TBN (detergent additive), a much higher volatility (more evaporation), and is a thinner 40 weight oil than the 10W-40. The 5W-40 is also only recommended by AMSOIL to be used at factory drain intervals, and that's due to a formulation that isn't as robust as the 10W-40 (recommended for extended drain intervals).

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member

I see that AMSOIL's website recommends both Synthetic ATF and Torque Drive transmission fluids can be used in the 2007 year model cars, but in the 2008+ year models they say to use only Synthetic ATF. IMO, and after you read the TSB you will agree, that the Synthetic ATF "new" formula can be used in all GT500 cars, regardless of the year model.

Here is MY quess as to what happened, and even a TSB about the topic. Ford did away with Mercon and went to Mercon V. The TSB says that everything spec'd for Mercon can now be serviced with Mercon V. I'm convinced that there was no change in the transmission in the 2007 versus 2008 model years, only a fluid recommendation change from Ford. Mustangs from 1985 to 2007 are included in this TSB.

Ford TSB 06-26-01

Torque Drive = approved for Mercon fluid applications
Synthetic ATF = approved for Mercon V fluid applications

I'm confident AMSOIL only did that to cover their "legal avenues". If Ford spec's a Mercon fill, then AMSOIL specs a Mercon fill even if they know the new Mercon V fluid still applies. Their online application guide for the 2007 year model car lists Synthetic ATF above Torque drive in the list, so I'm assuming it's preferred before using Torque drive. That's where the "gurus" can help you out.

Anyways, I sent an email off to the gurus @ AMSOIL to get some answers of the formulation differences between Torque drive and their Synthetic ATF. I should have an answer no later than tomorrow.

Last edited:

shadyninja

Been There, Wrecked That
Established Member
so any one here gonna sell AMSOIL at cost for us
read below
You already have the power to buy it at cost without a dealer.

Becoming a preferred customer

NEVER pay retail/catalog prices for AMSOIL.

How bout cost + $5

4x4oil.com Amsoil cost +$5 KOH Sale!!!! - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

I would Rather order Factory direct and not bother anyone except Amsoil.

Why add a extra middle man if you know what you are looking for. and you might get your stuff faster too.
BTW if you are a Account holder with Amsoil , commercial,retail, or preferred you could just pick up your stuff in person there are a few locations to choose from.

whsemap.jpg

Last edited:

SmirkNOS

It is what it is!
Established Member
Which one did you get?

Synthetic Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATFQT) or
Torque-Drive Synthetic Transmission Fluid (ATD1G)

I used the Synthetic Multi-Vehicle Transmission Fluid(ATFQT). That's what they recommend... Awesome stuff.

redline

Established Member
where does the motorcraft 5-50 w fit in .is it good ?what pac is it ?kinda confused here.so far from what i have read 50 weight shears down to 40 weight.mobil 1 sucks.is castrol real synthetic?but if a person just wanted to go by the book and stay with 5/50w whats the best ?:shrug:

Carlos c

Established Member
I see that AMSOIL's website recommends both Synthetic ATF and Torque Drive transmission fluids can be used in the 2007 year model cars, but in the 2008+ year models they say to use only Synthetic ATF. IMO, and after you read the TSB you will agree, that the Synthetic ATF "new" formula can be used in all GT500 cars, regardless of the year model.

Here is MY quess as to what happened, and even a TSB about the topic. Ford did away with Mercon and went to Mercon V. The TSB says that everything spec'd for Mercon can now be serviced with Mercon V. I'm convinced that there was no change in the transmission in the 2007 versus 2008 model years, only a fluid recommendation change from Ford. Mustangs from 1985 to 2007 are included in this TSB.

Ford TSB 06-26-01

Torque Drive = approved for Mercon fluid applications
Synthetic ATF = approved for Mercon V fluid applications

I'm confident AMSOIL only did that to cover their "legal avenues". If Ford spec's a Mercon fill, then AMSOIL specs a Mercon fill even if they know the new Mercon V fluid still applies. Their online application guide for the 2007 year model car lists Synthetic ATF above Torque drive in the list, so I'm assuming it's preferred before using Torque drive. That's where the "gurus" can help you out.

Anyways, I sent an email off to the gurus @ AMSOIL to get some answers of the formulation differences between Torque drive and their Synthetic ATF. I should have an answer no later than tomorrow.

Great....Thanks for all your help!!

Grabber07'

Established Member
after multiple conversations with the gurus at AMSOIL, this is what will work.

In southern HOT climates where you see temperatures in the high 90's and heat index above 100*F use 20W-50.

In northern COLD climates where you see temperatures below 32*F frequently, and your summers are rarely hot, use 10W-40.

I would also like to add that I will be running 10W-40 AMSOIL for my next fill to test it in Florida's summer heat. I'm confident the UOA results will be excellent because Ford trusts this engine with a 5W-50 that shears easily to a 40 weight. Why can't I use a 40 weight that will not shear like Ford's oil? This will be a maximum protection versus efficiency improvement test.

Results to come Summer 2011'

Now, another poster commented about AMSOIL 5W-40 European formula to be considered for use in the GT500. I say, NO, and this is why.

It's doesn't have as good of shear protection due to the spread of cold "winter" weight versus normal operation temperature weight, versus the 10W-40. The 5W-40 has a much lower TBN (detergent additive), a much higher volatility (more evaporation), and is a thinner 40 weight oil than the 10W-40. The 5W-40 is also only recommended by AMSOIL to be used at factory drain intervals, and that's due to a formulation that isn't as robust as the 10W-40 (recommended for extended drain intervals).

What would you recommend for someone that unfortunately lives in a location "Oklahoma" That frequently sees 95 to 105 in the summer and Well below freezing in the winter?

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
where does the motorcraft 5-50 w fit in .is it good ?what pac is it ?kinda confused here.so far from what i have read 50 weight shears down to 40 weight.mobil 1 sucks.is castrol real synthetic?but if a person just wanted to go by the book and stay with 5/50w whats the best ?:shrug:

Mobil 1 isn't "crap" it's just not the same fully synthetic formula that it had been in the past. Not all 50 weight oil shears down to a 40 weight, that comment was made specifically about the specific lab test on the Motorcraft oil. Personally, I'm still a big fan of Mobil 1 and wouldn't be completely against giving it a go in 15w50 which is readily available around me.

I just ordered a case of 5w50 RedLine to give a go. I won't have any data for a while though. I don't drive my car in the winter too much so by the time I change the oil again, it'll be mid spring early summer.
I will be sending the factory fill to Blackstone though. I'll let you all know what comes back.

Bulldogger

Established Member
What would you recommend for someone that unfortunately lives in a location "Oklahoma" That frequently sees 95 to 105 in the summer and Well below freezing in the winter?

For you I would go the 5w-50, or maybe mix 5w-40 and 20w-50 together same brands though

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member

Soon as I test AMSOIL 10W-40 in Florida's heat I will know the perfect choice in our cars. What I am expecting is the 10W-40 to return a perfect UOA, show little to no shearing, and be perfect for year round use. The other reason why I believe this to be the winner is...Royal Purple tech support guys suggest their 10W-40 for year round use. IMO, I find all 50 weight oils to be too think for our engines for winter use, especially below freezing.

Results to come summer 2011

6-Speed

Established Member
Beast:

Dennis70Mach received his oil analysis from Oil Analyzers and posted the results in post # 40 here. Oil sample is Motorcraft 5W50 from an 08 GT500 after 1500 to 2000 miles.

Tiny Metal Specs in Engine Oil? - Team Shelby - Page 2

The Viscosity was already down to 14.6 cSt @ 100 degrees, which is equivalent to 40 grade. One concern the lab had was the Infrared Oxidation of 45, which the lab reports is in the critical range. I have not seen this parameter in an oil analysis, but I do know that oil oxidation is bad. Do you know what this is and what it means?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread