5w20 vs 5w30?

yyz82

Established Member
Just did the first oil change on my cobra. I went with the 5w20 but have been reading 5w30 is alot better for it? Just wanted to hear from other cobra owners who have alot more experience with these cars then I do.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
I did 3 oil changes with 5w-20 and just changed to 5w-30 to be honest...I run Mobil 1 as this is what they run in the space shuttle:rockon::

yyz82

Established Member
I did 3 oil changes with 5w-20 and just changed to 5w-30 to be honest...I run Mobil 1 as this is what they run in the space shuttle:rockon::

I always ran mobil 1 in my 97 cobra good oil. I switched to valvoline synpower for the 04 cobra tho.

Jroc

Established Member
For over the count either Mobil 1 0W-40, or German Castrol. These are the only 2 true full-synthetic oils sold over the counter.

I use German Castrol, and recommend it over the Mobil 0W-40. Autozone is the only store I know of that sell German Castrol over the counter. German Castrol is the 0W-30, and the bottle looks like any other Castol synthetic bottle and it says "Made in Germany" on the back.(Also say "European Formula" on the bottle)

Honestly most any oil you buy know a days is pretty good. I use to run Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30, and before that Mobil 1 5W-30. I also ran Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5W-30 a couple of times.

Last edited:

1hot281

Established Member
For over the count either Mobil 1 0W-40, or German Castrol. These are the only 2 true full-synthetic oils sold over the counter.

Umm... Amsoil is a 100% True synthetic... and along with a few companies like Redline, they pioneered the syth market...

and I run 0w-30 Amsoil with the Amsoil Ea filter... the 30 is the important number... the only reason Ford and a lot of companies switched to 20 is for a slight MPG increase over the entirety of their lineup... 30 protects the engine better. 5w is a little too thick in my opinion at start-up, where as 0w will get moving right away, as it is thinner at start-up, but is the same as a 5w-30 once up to operating temp...

Jroc

Established Member
Umm... Amsoil is a 100% True synthetic... and along with a few companies like Redline, they pioneered the syth market...

and I run 0w-30 Amsoil with the Amsoil Ea filter... the 30 is the important number... the only reason Ford and a lot of companies switched to 20 is for a slight MPG increase over the entirety of their lineup... 30 protects the engine better. 5w is a little too thick in my opinion at start-up, where as 0w will get moving right away, as it is thinner at start-up, but is the same as a 5w-30 once up to operating temp...

For over the counter either Mobil 1 0W-40, or German Castrol. These are the only 2 true full-synthetic oils sold over the counter.

Wrote "Count," the first time, ment to write "Counter."

That means you can buy it at a common store, and not have to special order it, or know of a special shop that sells it.

Last edited:

1hot281

Established Member
i guess it depends on location... but i find Amsoil, Royal Purple, and Redline all over here... pretty much every store even remotely "motorsport" oriented... even Kragen carries at least Royal Purple...

yyz82

Established Member
I see royal purple at walmart now. Thinking about giving this amsoil a try next time.

Jroc

Established Member
I won't run RP, and I'd rather spend $6.99 a quart for some German Castrol than $10+ for some Redline, Motul, or Amsoil.

dan03mach

BUSTN YO A$$
Established Member
I run Ford Motorcraft 5w30 and it's been working great. I pulled my motor a part a couple times to look at everything and replace a piston that melted due to too much N20 and not enough fuel back in the day and all the bearings looked perfect no wear at all. No scoring on the cylinder walls, etc. The oil is cheap and it works great. My engine looked like it was brand new still when I pulled the stock motor apart to build it up.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
IMO the frequency of your oil changes is just as important as the brand oil you're using. When I had my '03 Cobra I pretty much always used the Motorcraft synthetic blend (as used from the factory) and changed oil/filter every 2,500 - 3,000 miles. The factory weight should fine in most cases. If you live in a colder/hotter region you can go with a slightly lighter or heavier weight. How much racing you do plays into it, too.

This info on my website might help some. Engine Oil for '03-'04 Cobra

Users who are viewing this thread