6R80 Auto Testing Complete....Transbrake Inside

mastwolf

4800fps = Mach1 in h2o
Established Member
It is a must to keep the RPM from rising. Torque will increase the stall speed, more rpm means more boost, more boost means more torque, more torque means more RPM and it goes over and over again. It is great when you have a variable stall in the car. Just change the two step (or three step if that is what you are using). :beer:

MSD Two Step, It got to the two step, then I let her rip lol. It just takes a sec to power up the converter, its not like a manual car that goes strait to the two step, or an auto with a 5000rpm stall converter.

86merc

Established Member
Yup, you need load and rpm before you can get boost with a turbo. Takes a little to get into boost. The tune, three step and brake boosting the car into the beams all helps that. But if your not heads up racing, who cares? I have seen combos spool much slower than yours. Should spool fast enough to not build much heat in the trans.

KrisR

Established Member
This is neat.

Obviously I can see the benefit for boosted cars. Probably a dumb question but is there a good reason to have a 'brake on a typical n/a car with an aftermarket converter like my car?

mastwolf

4800fps = Mach1 in h2o
Established Member
Yup, you need load and rpm before you can get boost with a turbo. Takes a little to get into boost. The tune, three step and brake boosting the car into the beams all helps that. But if your not heads up racing, who cares? I have seen combos spool much slower than yours. Should spool fast enough to not build much heat in the trans.

I was data logging the whole time and making a few changes. Its nice not relying on remote tuning. I did about 5 launches before the tranny temp started to get warm, then I just went for a cruise and came back and did it some more! I will be investing in a bigger cooler for it in time though, anyone with a converter should go the same route...common sense.

D.T.R

Established Member
This is neat.

Obviously I can see the benefit for boosted cars. Probably a dumb question but is there a good reason to have a 'brake on a typical n/a car with an aftermarket converter like my car?

If you are able to launch your car at the RPMs that you want to, or at the RPMs that the car works best, without the brake then no, there is no point.
So if you can footbrake it to the RPMs that you need for launching your car, you shouldn't need a t-brake.
This option would work great for people with somewhat tight converters that won't allow them to rev enough off the line before the car starts to roll out.

D.T.R

Established Member
I was data logging the whole time and making a few changes. Its nice not relying on remote tuning. I did about 5 launches before the tranny temp started to get warm, then I just went for a cruise and came back and did it some more! I will be investing in a bigger cooler for it in time though, anyone with a converter should go the same route...common sense.

what kind of temps did you see your trans get up to while launching with the tbrake?

86merc

Established Member

Yeah, being able to tune it yourself speeds things up for sure. A trans cooler is always a great investment for sure.

Being you can footbreak the car to load the converter as much as possible, bump into the beams and have it come into boost quickly you should be good to go. I bet you could run a Pro tree with it.

KrisR

Established Member
If you are able to launch your car at the RPMs that you want to, or at the RPMs that the car works best, without the brake then no, there is no point.
So if you can footbrake it to the RPMs that you need for launching your car, you shouldn't need a t-brake.
This option would work great for people with somewhat tight converters that won't allow them to rev enough off the line before the car starts to roll out.

My setup/converter seems to go quickest if I leave just off idle and flash the converter instead holding it against the footbrake anyway. I wonder if using a transbrake and actually leaving at the stall speed of the converter (4000 in my case) would be better than the 2500 or so that I get out of it before it starts to push the car too much against the brakes. Hmm.

mastwolf

4800fps = Mach1 in h2o
Established Member
what kind of temps did you see your trans get up to while launching with the tbrake?

Saw ~205 while making blasts in the shop lot area, did 5 or 6 of those runs in the video then went for a cruise to get some air flowing.

mastwolf

4800fps = Mach1 in h2o
Established Member
My setup/converter seems to go quickest if I leave just off idle and flash the converter instead holding it against the footbrake anyway. I wonder if using a transbrake and actually leaving at the stall speed of the converter (4000 in my case) would be better than the 2500 or so that I get out of it before it starts to push the car too much against the brakes. Hmm.

There are other benefits to a trans brake. Your not pre loading your suspension, im not a super big suspention guy, but Im sure Kelly from BMR could chime in and let us all know the up side to an auto that's not pre loading the suspension at take off.

svt04cobra1

Established Member
5psi should come out nicely.

with the brake there, I noticed it took about 4 seconds for the rpms to come all the way,, is there something about this trans that you don't just stab it?

no 2 step?

Not to mention he "says" it made 5lbs, can we see that on a boost gauge? :beer:

Bud

Established Member
Nice work! It is ridiculously fun to spool up on the button and then have everything react in an instant when you let go of it. Hopefully this results in some good track times and some good reaction times. Does the brake release pretty quick?

D.T.R

Established Member
Saw ~205 while making blasts in the shop lot area, did 5 or 6 of those runs in the video then went for a cruise to get some air flowing.

That's the temperature mine gets to making 1/4 passes... and i'm all motor with 300whp less than you lol so i don't think you are creating any more heat than a regular pass

mastwolf

4800fps = Mach1 in h2o
Established Member
Not to mention he "says" it made 5lbs, can we see that on a boost gauge? :beer:

Absolutely, its was just hard enough holding on to my phone and pointing it at the dash to show the world there was no wrench light or check engine light while also operating the button in one hand lol. Add in the fact that right now my eboost2 is in the glove compartment.

Might be able to set up the GoPro on the Roll bar to catch it all. Im pretty sure I can get it to see full boost on the brake as well.

mastwolf

4800fps = Mach1 in h2o
Established Member
Nice work! It is ridiculously fun to spool up on the button and then have everything react in an instant when you let go of it. Hopefully this results in some good track times and some good reaction times. Does the brake release pretty quick?

Its pretty instant, well fast enough for me not to notice any delay at all. Its light years beyond just lifting your foot off the brake.:rockon:

svt04cobra1

Established Member
Absolutely, its was just hard enough holding on to my phone and pointing it at the dash to show the world there was no wrench light or check engine light while also operating the button in one hand lol. Add in the fact that right now my eboost2 is in the glove compartment.

Might be able to set up the GoPro on the Roll bar to catch it all. Im pretty sure I can get it to see full boost on the brake as well.

Awesome man!!!!!:beer: GoPro is the answer as you can capture the wide angle of everything!!!!!! Sweet. :beer:

Illtaketwlight

Established Member
Usually with an auto and your foot braking you never get tire shake, because the suspension is preloaded. You'll no longer have that luxury with a trans brake and tire shake can break a lot of shit. In just one pass if you don't let off. Its just like a man trans car with a T/B, at least off the line.

Users who are viewing this thread