779rwhp turbo Mach 1 vs Blown Camaro SS for $5k - to be happening in FL

04torchred

Established Member
I remember really wanting to see Predator03 get butt raped by that 408 LS1 with the dual stage 400 or 500 shot. Some people really don't know there competition sometimes and get ****y. Lets hope it actually goes down this would be a cool race. Both cars sound pretty bad ass.

2k1cobra

Established Member
Im gonna guess and say the race isnt going to happen. :bored: I hate when people make these kind of threads. They should have the video first then make the thread. :rollseyes

300bhp/ton

I just like cars!!!
Established Member
astrocreep96 said:
:lol:

From the supercharger site I posted previously...

Doh! :bash:
A turbocharger is NOT free power, as it causes a restriction in the exhaust and increases back pressure. However the loss from a turbocharger is generally less than it is from a belt driven blower, so the NET gain in hp is greater with a turbocharger. But belt driven blowers then don't suffer LAG as a turbocharger does.

A Centrifugal blower IS essentially a belt driven turbo, or infact as the centrifugal blower is older. A Turbocharger is an exhaust driven centrifugal blower.

Pig headedness and ignorance DO NOT change the facts or the physics behind it.

Centrifugal superchargers are aerodynamic devices using a rotating impeller to accelerate the incoming air to high velocity which is then converted into pressure as the air slows down in the surrounding diffuser. The delivery is proportional to the square of the speed of rotation of the impeller.

The impeller must rotate at very high speed to do anything useful and therefore has a great deal of inertia which can subject a gear or belt drive to very high loads with changes of engine speed. Indeed aircraft engine supercharger drives always incorporated some sort of cushioning device to absorb these loads. A turbocharger gets round these problems by driving the impeller via an exhaust turbine to achieve the necessary high speed of rotation, simply dumping excess exhaust through a 'waste-gate' when the required amount of supercharge is achieved, thus being able to function over an acceptably wide range of engine speeds. Inertia of the impeller and turbine give rise to what is known as turbo-lag which can never be entirely eradicated even though there are ways of making it far less noticeable.
centrifugal_impellor.jpg

A Roots or Twin Screw blower however is a totally different thing.

http://www.jagweb.com/aj6eng/supercharging_article.html

Last edited:

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
300bhp/ton said:
A turbocharger is NOT free power, as it causes a restriction in the exhaust and increases back pressure. However the loss from a turbocharger is generally less than it is from a belt driven blower, so the NET gain in hp is greater with a turbocharger. But belt driven blowers then don't suffer LAG as a turbocharger does.

A Centrifugal blower IS essentially a belt driven turbo, or infact as the centrifugal blower is older. A Turbocharger is an exhaust driven centrifugal blower.

Pig headedness and ignorance DO NOT change the facts or the physics behind it.

Umm...ok. :shrug: That's really cool and all, but I don't know who you're posting that information for, or why you're quoting me exactly, but...I'll go with it. I never said either gives you free power. I simply said that half of a centri-supercharger is more or less the same as half of a turbo charger, which is entirely true. The compressor end on a centri is driven by a belt, while on the turbo it's exhaust driven. However, they both run a centrifugal compressor to pressurize the engine. So...thanks, I guess...

A Roots or Twin Screw blower however is a totally different thing.

I never said they were the same. And save me the explanation on how they work, please :) , I think I've seen enough compressor maps for turbos/centri-superchargers and flow maps for roots/twin screws that I know the difference in efficiency and flow well enough, let alone the difference in design. Someone asked how superchargers had their roots in mine shaft air pumps, and I showed how they did. I never said a roots was the same as a turbo or a centri.

300bhp/ton

I just like cars!!!
Established Member
astrocreep96 said:
Umm...ok. :shrug: That's really cool and all, but I don't know who you're posting that information for, or why you're quoting me exactly, but...I'll go with it. I never said either gives you free power. I simply said that half of a centri-supercharger is more or less the same as half of a turbo charger, which is entirely true. The compressor end on a centri is driven by a belt, while on the turbo it's exhaust driven. However, they both run a centrifugal compressor to pressurize the engine. So...thanks, I guess...
Well my bad if it shouldn't be aimed at you, I must have mis-read it or something. But one or two posts in this thread seemed to be claiming the opporsit.

So soz it was then not intended at you. :)

atlvalet

Established Member
So we're all in agreement:

Turbo = lag + less parasitic loss

Supercharger = no lag + more parasitic loss

Centrifugal superchargers = belt driven turbos

Feel the love?

Bishop

Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
Forget about the power, the biggest advantage the Camaro has is in the tranny. When you get over 600rwhp, a nicely prepped C4/C6 or glide will make your car faster than a manual (due to the nature of how a converter applies the power- more smoothly than a manual clutch and thus wont spin nearly as much.)
THere is a local guy here with a 93 GT and a vortech (H/C/I car, too) & a built C4 and makes 498 at the wheels. He can put it on me whether from a roll or a dig. I dont start reeling him in until well in the triple digits.

Last edited:

PACETTR

Established Member
atlvalet said:
So we're all in agreement:

Turbo = lag + less parasitic loss

Supercharger = no lag + more parasitic loss

Centrifugal superchargers = belt driven turbos

Feel the love?

Turob "lag" :rollseyes = full boost by 3000-3500 rpm's, less parasitic loss

Centrifugal supercharger lag = full boost by 6000-6500 rpm's, more parasitic loss

Roots supercharger = full boost by 2000-2500 rpm's, most parasitic loss

Turbo > Supercharger :beer:

Squeeler92

If it's a built 408 with H/C/I/E and blower running 12psi....800rwHP would be incredibly LOW. I would expect much closer to 900rwHP. Guy on here running the NOVI supercharger and is making 700rwHP with nothing more than a 12psi, forged internals and I believe exhaust on an LS6. I say they should just have a burnout contest :D

BmoseleyINC

SVT Immortal
Established Member
astrocreep96 said:
The Camaro is going to roll right over that Mach. Built/Blown 408 > Built/Blown 281.

You don't know any exact power numbers/combos/boost, or ANYTHING.

A properly built DOHC 4v can handle a 408 ohv, no problem.

Last edited:

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
BmoseleyINC said:
You don't know any exact power numbers/combos/boost, or ANYTHING.

A properly built DOHC 4v can handle a 408 ohv, no problem.

True, but everything on here is speculation at this point. But given the limited information we have right now, I feel fairly safe saying that a supercharged 408 is going to mangle a turbo'd 281. The Mach has a great motor, I'm not doubting that at all, and I know the 4V can be a formidable competitor, but 408 cubic inches is a lot of displacement to fool around with.

On top of that, the Camaro has a built rear and a built automatic. That car was made for this type of racing.

BmoseleyINC

SVT Immortal
Established Member
astrocreep96 said:
True, but everything on here is speculation at this point. But given the limited information we have right now, I feel fairly safe saying that a supercharged 408 is going to mangle a turbo'd 281. The Mach has a great motor, I'm not doubting that at all, and I know the 4V can be a formidable competitor, but 408 cubic inches is a lot of displacement to fool around with.

On top of that, the Camaro has a built rear and a built automatic. That car was made for this type of racing.

Well it's a fact that the mach makes about 780RWHP/785RWTQ..with it being lighter than the SS..it's gonna pull Like A RAPED APE top end.

If the Camaro gets out of the hole better, which it can.. I think The mach will pull him top end.

I wanan see the SS's numbers. HE better at the very least be making 800rwhp if he wants to win. I think it's gonan come down to who can get traction.

I just want some FOCKING VIDEO!!!! :rockon:

04torchred

Established Member
BmoseleyINC said:
Well it's a fact that the mach makes about 780RWHP/785RWTQ..with it being lighter than the SS..it's gonna pull Like A RAPED APE top end.

If the Camaro gets out of the hole better, which it can.. I think The mach will pull him top end.

I wanan see the SS's numbers. HE better at the very least be making 800rwhp if he wants to win. I think it's gonan come down to who can get traction.

I just want some FOCKING VIDEO!!!! :rockon:

There weights will be very similar. SS curb weight is only like 3450lbs give or take 100lbs at most. Plus the camaro is a centri blower so it is gonna pull like a whore up top too. I honestly dont think the Mach will have enough, I just don't. I agree traction will be key, but anyone willing to bet over 1G I am guessing knows their $hit can hook, if not they are dumb.

Honestly, camaro sounds like a ringer. He is basically coming out to teach someone who spouted off about having a fast car a lesson. I just got a feeling if this happens Mach 1 is gonna learn to be a little more modest!

BmoseleyINC

SVT Immortal
Established Member
04torchred said:
There weights will be very similar. SS curb weight is only like 3450lbs give or take 100lbs at most. Plus the camaro is a centri blower so it is gonna pull like a whore up top too. I honestly dont think the Mach will have enough, I just don't. I agree traction will be key, but anyone willing to bet over 1G I am guessing knows their $hit can hook, if not they are dumb.

Honestly, camaro sounds like a ringer. He is basically coming out to teach someone who spouted off about having a fast car a lesson. I just got a feeling if this happens Mach 1 is gonna learn to be a little more modest!

100 pounds is a sizeable chunk ...That Turbo is gonna pull harder than that Centri though.

However, I don't think some guy would be willing to throw down 5k if he didn't have the power. I say The Mach hits the 50 shot as well just for insurance.

Either way, the mach will have to play catch up if they go from a dig, unless he brings ET streets(still will ,but not as much). That Mach has a BADASS set-upmotor/driveline/rearend wise...but if that SS can hook, it's gonna be DIFFICULT.

All im gonan say is that I can't wait for a video...again. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread