99 4V vs 01 2V???

StangGTT

Established Member
[quote\]Here is a boost graph of an Eaton, Kenne Bell, Turbo, and Vortech (Centri) I think they went full throttle at ~3000rpms. Now look at the graphs for when they hit 12.5 psi since thats easy to see (yes I know max is a tad more but for sake of easiness we will go with 12.5). The instant no lag PD blowers only took about 100 or 200 rpms to hit that. The Turbo took around 1000 rpms to hit 12.5psi 10x as long as the PD blowers and now for your no lag Vortech centri. The Vortech took over 3000rpms to hit the 12.5psi 30x the PD blower and 3 times the Turbo. That shows right there that Centris do have lag and so do turbos.

Boostcomparo.jpg
[/quote]

I think he's just under the assumption that you aren't lagging if you never feel the boost "kick in" like with a turbo.
In the graph you can see a much steeper incline for the turbo where it then levels off.

With the centri it's a much smoother build up so you never feel the boost peak.

Judging by the graph, I will have a longer powerband though. So, that's in my favor.:rockon:

It's still gonna be a close one though. I think SPoole may be a better driver than me. A tad more experience. :p

Last edited:

Stopsign32v

Established Member
Yes Jason you must visualize the win, be the car, zen your way to the finish line....HA
BTW was the more experience comment refering to track experience or my age???:dw:

Have either of you been to the track? BTW what is your age and his? JW..

SPoole

Established Member
This has turned into quite a debate on turbo or S/C. Just from my experience with both of these cars I would say that the GT is going to have a slight advantage by getting into usable power first. My car is a bit sluggish below 3500, maybe the rediculously rich tune, maybe the low compresion build not sure. But the GT gets into power pretty quick. However I do think I may have an edge during shifts since my car will not have the need to respool any lost turbo momentum.
I am sticking to my request for turns though, then it could be a whoopin:bash:

SPoole

Established Member
Have either of you been to the track? BTW what is your age and his? JW..

I am 33 and he is 20 something. I used to road race bikes, and have never had a car on a drag strip. Jason has been to the drag, but I dont think he has been on a road course.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
This has turned into quite a debate on turbo or S/C. Just from my experience with both of these cars I would say that the GT is going to have a slight advantage by getting into usable power first. My car is a bit sluggish below 3500, maybe the rediculously rich tune, maybe the low compresion build not sure. But the GT gets into power pretty quick. However I do think I may have an edge during shifts since my car will not have the need to respool any lost turbo momentum.
I am sticking to my request for turns though, then it could be a whoopin:bash:

Yea a centri blown setup is not that easy to make perform very well and it is very easy to screw one up. The most common mistake done by 4v owners is building a 7.5-8.5:1 compression motor and putting a centri blower on it. :nonono: You will end up with 560rwhp and 390rwtq. :kaboom:

Flat top pistons/centri blower with an oversized crank pulley and 4.30 gears. The car will be a beast!

SPoole

Established Member
Yea a centri blown setup is not that easy to make perform very well and it is very easy to screw one up. The most common mistake done by 4v owners is building a 7.5-8.5:1 compression motor and putting a centri blower on it. :nonono: You will end up with 560rwhp and 390rwtq. :kaboom:

Flat top pistons/centri blower with an oversized crank pulley and 4.30 gears. The car will be a beast!

I am at 8.8 comp, 10% over crank pulley, and 4.10 gears, currently running 14lbs of max boost.

Last edited:

Stopsign32v

Established Member
I am at 8.8 comp, 10% over crank pulley, and 4.10 gears.

Not a bad setup. Why did you choose 8.8? :??: I think for a 4v with a centri blower 10.1:1 compression would be a good choice. Unless you plan to make 650+rwhp and want to run pump gas.

StangGTT

Established Member
Well, I was actually referring to your racing experience lol. Now that you mention it though you are much older than me...... :-D

I am 26 and I have been to the drag strip several times.... I have run maybe 15-20 times. (when the car had 253hp) It's a different car now so it'll be interesting.

My comp. ratio is 8.9/1 and I will be running around 18psi.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
3.73 gears are too steep for a turbo setup like yours. I think they will hurt you more than help. 3.27 gears would be perfect for that power level IMO.

And since you are going from 253hp to 600hp I say the Cobra will win. I don't see how either of you expect to hook on 18" wheels with 315s. Should be whoever gets more traction will win.

Last edited by a moderator:

StangGTT

Established Member
3.73 gears are too steep for a turbo setup like yours. I think they will hurt you more than help. 3.27 gears would be perfect for that power level IMO.

And since you are going from 253hp to 600hp I say the Cobra will win. I don't see how either of you expect to hook on 18" wheels with 315s. Should be whoever gets more traction will win.

I have 17's with 315's. Not that they're much better.... no sidewall

SPoole

Established Member
Not a bad setup. Why did you choose 8.8? :??: I think for a 4v with a centri blower 10.1:1 compression would be a good choice. Unless you plan to make 650+rwhp and want to run pump gas.

Well that was actually the intention..... but the origonal idea was over 700rwhp. After transmision replacement of course.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
Well that was actually the intention..... but the origonal idea was over 700rwhp. After transmision replacement of course.

I think for a 700rwhp setup like yours 9.5:1 would be nice. What are you doing for cooling the intake temp? IDK how the Novi systems are setup. I'm a Procharger guy. Please tell me you don't have that Model A FMIC setup I've seen on some. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread