99 4V vs 01 2V???

Stopsign32v

Established Member
95% of the time if the RWHP is the same or close a turbo car will be playing catch up. If this fact (see above and open eyes more often) butt hurts anyone then I apologize.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
First off, Yes I'm serious.

Few reasons why,
1. Not everyone has a perfect set up. so lag may be there.

2nd, If you are crusing at 3000 RPMs how much boost are you making? None? a little? Not much?
Now to get into boost you need to do 1 of 2 things, Mash the gas and add load or brake boost to add load.

If you just mash the gas there will be a slight bit of lag even with a good set up. Maybe only a fraction of a second but none the less it is there so you brake boost to already be in boost and not starting from nothing.

3rd, In his post that you quoted me on I pointed out 2 things in red that he CONTRADICTED himself on.

4th Heard of a 2 step?
I Am NHRA licensed to 7.50 and have made 185+MPH passes What do you think?

I own a turbo vehicle, have driven race cars with twin screw, centuri, 14/71 roots and turbos.

So don't treat me like a kid.

:fart: someone got owned

:beer:

mrbigjeep

Established Member
what about the nice torque advantage the turbo has over your avg centri...seems that would make up for a slight amount of "lag"...

turbos seem to make so much more torque than a centri

SPoole

Established Member
lol Man you catch it from all angles. IM glad im on your side now. Is this going to happen or what? Is this going to be a thread thats brought back from the grave in 2 years?

It will happen eventually, we have to wait for GTT to be reassembled though.
Could be a couple months. I dont think either one of us will be crushed if the other one wins, its just a hobby.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
what about the nice torque advantage the turbo has over your avg centri...seems that would make up for a slight amount of "lag"...

turbos seem to make so much more torque than a centri

Absolutely. If you were racing from say 3,500rpms it would be turbo alllll day long. But (again talking from my personal experience) my car stayed in low RPMs all of a millisecond. Centri blown cars need gear to make them fast. A good point I will say that I've said before.

My car at the track before I blew the old stock motor, I had 3.73 gears in it and I took it to the track. It ran 115mph-116mph. The next week I dropped in some 4.30 gears and then took it back to the track that same day. Nothing else was changed and we are talking a week difference. That night at the track my car was running 120-121mph. That shows how important gearing plays in 4v centri blown cars.

19935.slow

Established Member
ANY belt driven supercharged unit does NOT have lag. With a centri blower the instant you go WOT you have the max amount of boost for that RPM. A turbo car takes time to build boost. Yes a centri blower only makes max boost at max rpm but it does not have any lag.

With a centri blower the instant you go WOT you have the max amount of boost for that RPM.

Thanks for defining lag lol.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
With a centri blower the instant you go WOT you have the max amount of boost for that RPM.

Thanks for defining lag lol.

1st,
Technically he is correct.

Lag as in leave behind.
The PSI is what it is for that RPM.

Turbo (Without brake boosting) will take a moment to get up to speed for that RPM.

The actual definition of Turbo lag is- The time it takes for the turbo to get up to speed where it can work effectivly.

Why are we sitting here going through all the same crap over and over?
Maybe I should just close this.

2nd
Go read the site rules, Really concentrate on #2 and 3 for your post.

19935.slow

Established Member
How about I don't?

What we can focus on is this....The actual definition of Turbo lag is- The time it takes for the turbo to get up to speed where it can work effectivly.

Speaking in terms of a centri, because we are in comparison of the two, just because at lets say 3500 at Wot it makes 10psi. That means it's not effecitent yet because lets say it's pullied for 15. So by 5100 or so you see 15psi. Just because it's at 10psi at 3500 because thats were the boost is at that rpm that means that it is not lag?

My strimmed fox spiked 5-6 psi and slowly crept to 10 psi at redline but held aboout 8. That period in between of building rpm after the spike and before the "hold" was the lag.

So my question is how is that not lag? It's def not doing a whole lot boost creeping at 6-7 psi when I'm waiting and waiting for 10 psi to pop up on the guage.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
Do you know what the word "instant" means? You would think some people could understand this alittle better.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
How about I don't?

What we can focus on is this....The actual definition of Turbo lag is- The time it takes for the turbo to get up to speed where it can work effectivly.

Speaking in terms of a centri, because we are in comparison of the two, just because at lets say 3500 at Wot it makes 10psi. That means it's not effecitent yet because lets say it's pullied for 15. So by 5100 or so you see 15psi. Just because it's at 10psi at 3500 because thats were the boost is at that rpm that means that it is not lag?

My strimmed fox spiked 5-6 psi and slowly crept to 10 psi at redline but held aboout 8. That period in between of building rpm after the spike and before the "hold" was the lag.

So my question is how is that not lag? It's def not doing a whole lot boost creeping at 6-7 psi when I'm waiting and waiting for 10 psi to pop up on the guage.

That is the problem,
Everyone takes Lag to mean PSI
And it is not,
It is Speed of the impeller technically.

If a Centuri turns 13000RPMs at the motors 3500RPMs it will turn that no matter where the throttle is.
Crusing at 3500, WOT at 3500 of off the gas at 3500

That cannot be said for a turbo.
So when you go WOT it takes a Moment for the turbo to catch up to speed. That is lag.

Too many people think in turms of boost. The boost PSI is a RESULT.

So a Centuri is already at its given wheel speed for whatever RPM the motor is at.

No one here is wrong, I know what you are saying and yes the PSI will "Lag" behind.
But if everyone wants to be so technical then lets do it.

Lag is a relation to the compressor speed and time it takes to start making boost.
Plain, simple but technical.

LOVESBOOST

Established Member
Turbo car for the win! Granted its set up correctly, turbo cars run hard....thats all there is to it, I could explain my reasoning, but its about me and my buddies cars and not ones explained in the op so I won't get into that.

pimpleyva

hey smart guy these are all roots blowers now find a centri video....:nonono:
also how big are these turbos in these vids? if your talking 88+mm maybe they will for a split sec. are they bb turbos? this has to all be taken into account.

Last edited by a moderator:

pimpleyva

First off, Yes I'm serious.

Few reasons why,
1. Not everyone has a perfect set up. so lag may be there.

2nd, If you are crusing at 3000 RPMs how much boost are you making? None? a little? Not much?
Now to get into boost you need to do 1 of 2 things, Mash the gas and add load or brake boost to add load.

If you just mash the gas there will be a slight bit of lag even with a good set up. Maybe only a fraction of a second but none the less it is there so you brake boost to already be in boost and not starting from nothing.

3rd, In his post that you quoted me on I pointed out 2 things in red that he CONTRADICTED himself on.

4th Heard of a 2 step?
I Am NHRA licensed to 7.50 and have made 185+MPH passes What do you think?

I own a turbo vehicle, have driven race cars with twin screw, centuri, 14/71 roots and turbos.

So don't treat me like a kid.

when racing who is crusing? your at 4k maybe right? now I'm not calling you a kid at all not saying you don't have any seat time but you put a centri car (not roots) and a turbo car with the same power/weight ratio and the turbo wins EVERY time. this is what we are talking about a centri vs turbo car.

Users who are viewing this thread