A question for you Terminator Experts

Tlayson23

Established Member
I just bought an '03 Mach 1 with a full 03/04 cobra motor swap including Eaton and factory heat exchanger. I was just going over everything today (fluid levels, fuses) and noticed that the fuse for the "Intercooler Pump" was missing.

I was just wondering if this should be ignored since its a motor swap and not a factory cobra, or if the wiring was routed another way without using this fuse. I know it's hard to say without seeing it, but is it best to just put a fuse there just to be safe?

Thanks guys

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Better verify that the H/E pump is in fact working. They are getting old and failing on quite a few cars lately.

It's quite possible the pump tanked and blew the fuse. Perhaps someone forgot to tell you it needed a pump and fuse????:shrug:

Tlayson23

Established Member
Better verify that the H/E pump is in fact working. They are getting old and failing on quite a few cars lately.

It's quite possible the pump tanked and blew the fuse. Perhaps someone forgot to tell you it needed a pump and fuse????:shrug:

Thanks, i know mustangs but when it comes to superchargers and motor swaps i know close to nothing. How do i check to make sure the pump is working?

The motor itself was brand new and has less than 1,000 miles on it, the eaton has around 2,000 miles on it but i'm unsure about the heat exchanger. I'm assuming he bought the h/e from whoever he bought the eaton from.

Is there any risk in putting a fuse there if it isnt supposed to be used?

oldmodman

Established Member
After your car has been idling for a few minutes see if the intercooler fluid is bubbling in the degas bottle (the plastic tank with the screw on cap on top).
If you don't, then the missing fuse has not been bypassed. Install a new fuse and see if the fluid bubbles. If it still doesn't follow the intercooler hoses and make sure that there is even a pump installed. Then check for power at the pump when the car is warmed up. If voltage is present then the pump is bad. If no voltage then the relay or temp sensor is bad. Or maybe even both. Or it's even possible that the wiring harness going to them might have gotten pinched and cut or shorted while the engine swap was taking place. It will just take a while to trouble shoot the problem. But if you drive the car without a working pump the car will not perform properly. The 03 & 04 Cobras will sense an overtemp at the intercooler and pull timing. Resulting in no power.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Seriously?

Open the H/E resv. and look in. If the fluid isn't moving after the car has run for a minute or so, that's a problem.

Have you driven it yet? Did it have boost? Did it lay down after a few pulls?

You will find tons of great tech if you search for it. Then read, read, read.:read:

You will be up to speed in no time.

Tlayson23

Established Member
After your car has been idling for a few minutes see if the intercooler fluid is bubbling in the degas bottle (the plastic tank with the screw on cap on top).
If you don't, then the missing fuse has not been bypassed. Install a new fuse and see if the fluid bubbles. If it still doesn't follow the intercooler hoses and make sure that there is even a pump installed. Then check for power at the pump when the car is warmed up. If voltage is present then the pump is bad. If no voltage then the relay or temp sensor is bad. Or maybe even both. Or it's even possible that the wiring harness going to them might have gotten pinched and cut or shorted while the engine swap was taking place. It will just take a while to trouble shoot the problem. But if you drive the car without a working pump the car will not perform properly. The 03 & 04 Cobras will sense an overtemp at the intercooler and pull timing. Resulting in no power.

Thanks alot this really helps :thumbsup:

Tlayson23

Established Member
Seriously?

Open the H/E resv. and look in. If the fluid isn't moving after the car has run for a minute or so, that's a problem.

Have you driven it yet? Did it have boost? Did it lay down after a few pulls?

You will find tons of great tech if you search for it. Then read, read, read.:read:

You will be up to speed in no time.

I'm in the process of reading up on everything, but since the car is my daily driver i needed a quick answer. I didn't want to cause any harm to the motor in the meantime.

GoatSlayer

Banned
Your intercooler pump is probably wired in such a way that when the car is on, the pump comes on. Its a commom strategy that most people use to avoid using relay and etc to run the pump. So, you probably dont have a direct fuse for the pump.

hotcobra03

Established Member
I just bought an '03 Mach 1 with a full 03/04 cobra motor swap including Eaton and factory heat exchanger. I was just going over everything today (fluid levels, fuses) and noticed that the fuse for the "Intercooler Pump" was missing.

I was just wondering if this should be ignored since its a motor swap and not a factory cobra, or if the wiring was routed another way without using this fuse. I know it's hard to say without seeing it, but is it best to just put a fuse there just to be safe?

Thanks guys

fuse 19 is for pump in battery junction box

relay is in aux fuse box with fuse 31 for fans

where is the fuse missing from that you think is for ic pump?

Tlayson23

Established Member
the pumps also can just go bad.. mine would work somtimes and not others. I had to replace it.

yea i hope it's working it's in the shop right now getting new tires put on so i'm gonna check it this afternoon. Btw your cobra is my desktop background it's sick

Tlayson23

Established Member
i just checked it a few hours ago and the coolant is bubbling when the car has ran for a few minutes so it's working! thanks for all the help guys

SpectorV

Established Member
yea i hope it's working it's in the shop right now getting new tires put on so i'm gonna check it this afternoon. Btw your cobra is my desktop background it's sick

thanks :rockon: If its sometimes running and sometimes not replace it with one by calling tousleyfordparts.com (cheaper by far than normal ford parts). My new one was 75 or so~ and its the OEM one.

Users who are viewing this thread