? about TSB 11-11-11 for auto trans.

Bad Intention

Established Member
Im thinking about puchasing the shift solenoids for band 2-5 and having them installed. But my main question is ford tech says they have to reflash the computer for new settings in the trans. Is this something that my tuner can do for me?

Chuck@Evolution

Established Member
You can NOT purchase the solenoids until after you examine the stock ones in the tranny. The band refers to a number on the solenoid itself. I just performed one, and there were two band 4 and one band 5 solenoids.

Chuck@Evolution

Established Member
Not 100% sure on that part. I think all that is needed is if you are running a tune, just reflash your tune and you will be good to go.

Chuck@Evolution

Established Member
Here is a pic showing one of the solenoids and the band number. It is a number 4 solenoid. You have to hold the solenoid at just the right angle in just the right light to be able to read the number clearly.

IMG_20120221_095647.jpg

kevinp

Established Member
I wouldn't touch it unless your having problems or I will do it myself.

I'm with you, mine doesnt flare or do anything weird like the TSB says so I'm not messing with it. Sometimes its best not to fix what isnt broke :)

GeorgeInNePa

Established Member
You can NOT purchase the solenoids until after you examine the stock ones in the tranny. The band refers to a number on the solenoid itself. I just performed one, and there were two band 4 and one band 5 solenoids.

Here is a pic showing one of the solenoids and the band number. It is a number 4 solenoid. You have to hold the solenoid at just the right angle in just the right light to be able to read the number clearly.

IMG_20120221_095647.jpg

Exactly the info I was looking for!

Thank you!

I was wondering why they talk about replacing 3 solenoids, but list part numbers for 4...

GeorgeInNePa

Established Member
I wouldn't touch it unless your having problems or I will do it myself.

I'm with you, mine doesnt flare or do anything weird like the TSB says so I'm not messing with it. Sometimes its best not to fix what isnt broke :)

I get a harsh shift, especially at low RPM going into the upper gears, like cruising through town at 25MPH. Even after having my tuner adjust the trans tune.

Also, at the track and on drag radials, my 1-2 shift is quirky. It acts like the trans is losing pressure on the shift. It feels like the gear selector gets bumped into N, just at the shift. The RPM will go right to the limiter and the car noses over. I have to let off the gas completely to get the car to shift. If you get off and get back on it, the car drops RPM and then revs right back up, just as if it went into N.

The solenoids are not expensive, in fact, the trans fluid will wind up costing more. So I can't see a downside to changing them.

Oh BTW, I have a June '10 car, so if my dealer wasn't totally useless, I would fall under the TSB...

kevinp

Established Member
I get a harsh shift, especially at low RPM going into the upper gears, like cruising through town at 25MPH. Even after having my tuner adjust the trans tune.

Also, at the track and on drag radials, my 1-2 shift is quirky. It acts like the trans is losing pressure on the shift. It feels like the gear selector gets bumped into N, just at the shift. The RPM will go right to the limiter and the car noses over. I have to let off the gas completely to get the car to shift. If you get off and get back on it, the car drops RPM and then revs right back up, just as if it went into N.

The solenoids are not expensive, in fact, the trans fluid will wind up costing more. So I can't see a downside to changing them.

Oh BTW, I have a June '10 car, so if my dealer wasn't totally useless, I would fall under the TSB...

If you are having problems then why not do it, curious to see if helps you out. But I'm not having any issues, well not enough to drop the trans pan anyhow :)

You cant even feel mine shift at low throttle and except for somewhat inconsistent RPM on the WOT 1-2 shift (+/- 150rpm) I'm pretty happy with it. So why take it apart, if I do a fluid change or drop the pan for something else I'll probably do it.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
chuck is right on,

the tsb lists 4 solenoid #'s, but most cars have 2 solenoids of the same # and not all are the same

GeorgeInNePa

Established Member
Does anyone know if you need to remove the Main Control from the trans to get the solenoids out? Or can you do it with the MC in the trans?

From pictures in the Ford manual, it looks like there is enough room to remove the hold down bracket. But Is there enough room to pop the solenoids out?

ETA: Never mind.

With the pan off, I see the answer is no.

Last edited:

Chuck@Evolution

Established Member
Negative George.

There is a large plastic piece that is bolted to the top of the valve body, so the valve body has to come out just to get that off.

Impetuous

Common sense isn't common
Established Member
Chuck,
What it looks to be a dipstick(yellow) in the picture you posted of the valve body components, is that really a dipstick? I've been wondering how to check the fluid on these transmissions once you put a converter on them.

Users who are viewing this thread