Accel-erate Your 2011+ Mustang’s Horsepower with Coil-On-Plugs!

drewzx3

Established Member
I love new go fast parts all day long but they need to work. We need someone else to test them. I think Justin at VMP tuning would test them if he had a set sent to him. 5-10 hp diff on the dyno could be true but the problem is there's not a dyno out that reads 100%. I'm not so sure a dyno can truly read that accurate. IMOP they swing 5-10 hp either way everytime. So testing something like this is tough.

Il test um if somebody sends me a set.

faztcobra

Established Member
I love new go fast parts all day long but they need to work.
This. The 5.0 market is hungry for easy/effective HP mods and vendors know people will be quick to jumps in line with dollars in their fists if they can get a part to market that supposedly makes XX horsepower. It's not too bad to spend $200-$300 for a part that adds 10-15hp, but this particular item is close to $500. Then you don't find out until a little later on until after the vendor gets bashed that they think it's attributed to the boss intake and other mods and on a stocker, it only adds 4-6 hp. That's not worth nearly $500, at least not to me. I think we're all ready for development of more mods for the 5.0, but people don't want snake oil either.

That's one thing I love about these forums though, people will sniff out BS or post up a legit product a lot quicker than you would ever get out of a magazine, who's article is likely slanted for sales anyway.

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
Assuming the dyno is legit, it costs you about $50 per RWHP. Probably worth it for someone who has already modded the crap out of their car and is looking for that extra bit. Probably better HP to cost items out there for the relatively unmodded car.

01bluesnake

Established Member
Before people start bashing, maybe we should have another source test the coils. Ignition companies like MSD, Accel, Malory and others didnt get to where they are because the stuff doesnt work.. If the coils carry a lot higher voltage, they will create a lot better and more efficient burn which if you know anything about a engine, there is no 100% cylinder combustion of fuel which is why cars come with cat's, to burn the non-ignited fuel. It would be actually nice to see a car pick up a few or more hp from these.

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
the guy is a sponsor. im all about giving someone a hard time for BS. But he is a sponsor and a nice guy. id keep opinions to yourself. Even if they do nothing, u all know, guys will buy them and add them to there sig with 30 other bolt on's. let them make money to support svtperformance.,

I applaud him for being a sponsor of the site. :beer:
Bottom line is, a lot of us wasted money buying COP's for our Mustangs and Gen2 Lightnings, COP's that made the same claims.
The after market COP's failed to measure up to the OEM COP's
Don't blame us for being a little gun shy. Time will tell if the new COP's make the grade or fail.

AMChrisRose

I completely understand and can appreciate the fact that COP's have never been a popular item due to negative results, and I was skeptical at first, too.

Every time we test anything at Bama, we run the car multiple times and monitor intake air temp, engine coolant temp, knock sensors, spark advance, air/fuel ratio and many other parameters through the Ford IDS or SCT software. We only go for fair tests, with the same fuel, same car, same run conditions, etc. so that we don't have to worry about backing up false claims.

As I said in previous posts, the COP's have always had a mediocre name. Sometimes you'd see some results, sometimes you wouldn't. We have tested them on our car, as well as a completely stock customer car during Accel's development. Both times we saw gains. It's not a run fluctuation, but the initial skepticism is fair.

We'll just have to see - we've shipped out quite a few sets and I'm sure 3rd party info will be available soon!

Users who are viewing this thread