Accel-erate Your 2011+ Mustang’s Horsepower with Coil-On-Plugs!

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
What they are getting at is that upgraded coils for a stockish newer engine is considered snake oil to a lot of experienced guys. Most newer cars with coil on plug come stock with coils that make anywhere between 50000 and 100000 volts which is plenty to light off pump gas at our compression ratio and rpm levels. But I haven't tested these so i don't have an opinion on the matter.

It's snake oil to anyone with a brain.

Only way these ignition boosters would add power would be if the stock ignition was misfiring. Stock ignitions are more than up to the task of thoroughly burning the air/fuel mix, they have to bee or the car wouldn't meet emission standards, would get horrible mpg, poor driveability, etc. The Accels and MSDs of the world have been peddling this bullshit since before I got into drag racing during the 1980's. It was snake oil then and is snake oil now.

I will note that the ad is not strictly misleading however. It says "up to 10 hp". Zero is technically up to 10, and zero is what you will get.

While some may consider it snake oil and even I will agree on most older models such as the 96-98 Cobra the stock system will support more than enough for most builds that is NOT the point they were trying to make.

If you don't agree with the OP on coils helping then fine. Hell even post a reason supporting your claim.

However jumping on a vendor about SPAMMING a section with an add about a new product will not be allowed.

They did not jump on the product as much as they did the vendor or person.

Enough discussion about it.

Thanks You,
Barry

scott_0

Established Member
What they are getting at is that upgraded coils for a stockish newer engine is considered snake oil to a lot of experienced guys. Most newer cars with coil on plug come stock with coils that make anywhere between 50000 and 100000 volts which is plenty to light off pump gas at our compression ratio and rpm levels. But I haven't tested these so i don't have an opinion on the matter.
yeah I understand that, matter of fact I replied on another board that they are too much money for such a minimal gain (if any gain at all) I take issue with it being referred to as spam, they are a board sponsor, my thing is if Evolution, Lethal, BBR, etc were to have posted these it wouldnt have been an issue. the AM/Bama hate on this board is hilarious

mastwolf

4800fps = Mach1 in h2o
Established Member
"The Accel Super Coil On Plug Kit makes more power then the wimpy stock oem factory coils..."

Oh my..I gotta get me some.

AMChrisRose

Was the tune changed after the install of the Cop?

The tune was left stock. This was done back-to-back within 15 minutes or so on the same day, same dyno, same car, same fuel, same tune, and same atmospheric conditions. The temperatures, both IAT and ECT were pretty much the same for both runs. They were ~5 degrees of each other.

Do the dyno numbers seem a little low on this car??

This is out Automatic, and also has 4.10 gears. That's the reason for the low numbers. Were this car a manual, the baseline would have been about 5% higher, or just under 400RWHP. Maybe 397-398ish?

AMChrisRose

http://images-ftp.americanmuscle.co...,37255_alt2,37255_alt3&selectedImg=37255_alt3

Here is a direct screen grab from Dynojet WinPep 7. That shows the exact curve before and after. My video team traces the graph for the graphics you see in the video, and they screwed something up in the low end - even though the peak numbers and curve gains are correct. I'm having them re-trace it.

I absolutely think the Boss manifold and CAI are responsible for making these coils so efficient. A stock GT should gain between 4-7RWHP throughout the curve and not 9-10RWHP.

We all know that the stock coils are fine, and that you can make 700+HP on them all day long. This is just a great way to get everything you can out of what you have. There's never anything wrong with a hotter/more efficient spark. Cheap coils have given these COP's a bad name in the past. I've posted my negative thoughts about coil-on-plug kits many times before. However, if you go with a quality coil pack like this, the dyno results showed me up. My original estimate was 3RWHP curve and peak. I was definitely wrong, and it changed my opinion.

We've since tested it on a completely stock 2011 GT that put down 4RWHP peak and 5-6RWHP throughout the curve more, back to back - testing done the same exact way.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
The tune was left stock. This was done back-to-back within 15 minutes or so on the same day, same dyno, same car, same fuel, same tune, and same atmospheric conditions. The temperatures, both IAT and ECT were pretty much the same for both runs. They were ~5 degrees of each other.

This is out Automatic, and also has 4.10 gears. That's the reason for the low numbers. Were this car a manual, the baseline would have been about 5% higher, or just under 400RWHP. Maybe 397-398ish?

I think you meant unchanged, and not stock tune..?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member

Not saying these do not work, but I've seen that much swing in HP/TQ from the same car, no changes, same tuning, same day.

Three runs without then three runs with the new coils would be a better comparison. Then you can average all three runs to come up with an actual HP/TQ number with and without, then compare the two.

Edit: KenB in the post above me confirmed what I was talking about.

Last edited:

beef97

Established Member
Not saying these do not work, but I've seen that much swing in HP/TQ from the same car, no changes, same tuning, same day.

Three runs without then three runs with the new coils would be a better comparison. Then you can average all three runs to come up with an actual HP/TQ number with and without, then compare the two.

Edit: KenB in the post above me confirmed what I was talking about.

Right on!

acrbill

Established Member
You guys jump down this guys throat but let it slide when someone claims huge gains on a part install even though he was comparing two different cars?

Don't forget that advertisers pay the bills on this site.

wbt

Banned
You guys jump down this guys throat but let it slide when someone claims huge gains on a part install even though he was comparing two different cars?

Don't forget that advertisers pay the bills on this site.

You referring to me? If so lets get it out on the table now.

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
the guy is a sponsor. im all about giving someone a hard time for BS. But he is a sponsor and a nice guy. id keep opinions to yourself. Even if they do nothing, u all know, guys will buy them and add them to there sig with 30 other bolt on's. let them make money to support svtperformance.,

JerryC

Established Member
the guy is a sponsor. im all about giving someone a hard time for BS. But he is a sponsor and a nice guy. id keep opinions to yourself. Even if they do nothing, u all know, guys will buy them and add them to there sig with 30 other bolt on's. let them make money to support svtperformance.,

I've read that 15 times and I still can't tell if you are being sarcastic or serious.

H8SUGR

Still a Rookie...
Established Member
Who cares if they want to advertise a part when they support the forum? If they can back it up with Dyno or Track proven gains people would still argue it. It is a product take it or leave it but at least let them try and show it to us.

Every time I have dealt with AM it has been nothing but a pleasure:beer::beer:, why all the hate?

I agree with averages of dyno runs with and without to give proper gains for this mod.

grnenvy

Established Member
I love new go fast parts all day long but they need to work. We need someone else to test them. I think Justin at VMP tuning would test them if he had a set sent to him. 5-10 hp diff on the dyno could be true but the problem is there's not a dyno out that reads 100%. I'm not so sure a dyno can truly read that accurate. IMOP they swing 5-10 hp either way everytime. So testing something like this is tough.

Users who are viewing this thread