Advice on pulley swap for the weekend.

Blu3SVT

Established Member
I have a 2013 5.0 with the Paxton Novi 2200SL supercharger kit on it. My upgrades included the vortech competition inlet, ID1000s, JPC blowoff valve, vortech BAP and it's also the competition oil fed with 8 rib pulley upgrade. I am tuned for E85 and am currently putting down 675/534 on my 3.6 pulley(9 1/2-10ish lbs of boost). (Dyno graph included below) My tuner tells me I am currently well within the safe limits as he could have pushed it further.

The only kicker is i'm on all stock internals. My question however is, do you think I could safely switch to my 3.47 pulley for this weekend alone? I'm having a cash race and could use the extra power. It will be a roll race from 2nd or 3rd gear and I will be shifting at 7-7100 rpms. I just wanted opinions on if you think I could safely get away with 2-3 pulls on the lower pulley. After the weekend I would put my 3.6 pulley back on.

Appreciate any feedback, thanks!

dynograph.jpg

Blu3SVT

Established Member
From what I have been reading it could all depend on how rich I am currently running. I am not super technical with tuning so I would have (auto adrenaline) take a look at it. Thanks!

bam2012@TBR

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I wouldn't take the chance with that. You are already really close to if not maxing out your fuel system with no return, id1000s and a bap running e85.

cb900f

Established Member
I have a 2013 5.0 with the Paxton Novi 2200SL supercharger kit on it. My upgrades included the vortech competition inlet, ID1000s, JPC blowoff valve, vortech BAP and it's also the competition oil fed with 8 rib pulley upgrade. I am tuned for E85 and am currently putting down 675/534 on my 3.6 pulley(9 1/2-10ish lbs of boost). (Dyno graph included below) My tuner tells me I am currently well within the safe limits as he could have pushed it further.

The only kicker is i'm on all stock internals. My question however is, do you think I could safely switch to my 3.47 pulley for this weekend alone? I'm having a cash race and could use the extra power. It will be a roll race from 2nd or 3rd gear and I will be shifting at 7-7100 rpms. I just wanted opinions on if you think I could safely get away with 2-3 pulls on the lower pulley. After the weekend I would put my 3.6 pulley back on.

Appreciate any feedback, thanks!

dynograph.jpg
I do have to ask what's up with the AFR. Even if it's reading Lambda and calculating the AFR based on 93, that's still pretty lean.

Have you datalogged it?

Blu3SVT

Established Member
I bought the car from Colorado, since I am in Houston we had some tinkering to do to adjust to elevation difference.

Last edited:

Blu3SVT

Established Member
I have big plans in the works! I am relatively new to Texas and he was the only tuner I knew so I took it straight to him as soon as I got it off the trailer so he could adjust the tuning (it was obviously way off).

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Do not change the pulley without a retune. In all honesty, I wouldn't change the pulley at all. It's too much boost for the stock internals imo.

the 3.6 on the Paxton is the smallest we will do on these without a wastegate to bleed off boost. On a legit dyno, we try to stay around 580-620 on pump. 650-700 on the corn. I wouldn't push it any further.

If you need help with any thing vortech / Paxton related, feel free to hit us up, it's our speciality. That includes remote tuning and datalogging.

Zemedici

Established Member
Do not change the pulley without a retune. In all honesty, I wouldn't change the pulley at all. It's too much boost for the stock internals imo.

the 3.6 on the Paxton is the smallest we will do on these without a wastegate to bleed off boost. On a legit dyno, we try to stay around 580-620 on pump. 650-700 on the corn. I wouldn't push it any further.

If you need help with any thing vortech / Paxton related, feel free to hit us up, it's our speciality. That includes remote tuning and datalogging.

this.

Is this one weekend worth a rebuild? If you're racing for that much cash, **** it. Go for it. :D

Blu3SVT

Established Member
Appreciate all the feedback. Definitely didn't want to risk anything that's why I turned here first. I have pulled on this guy before with my current setup so I will leave it be and hope for the best!

cb900f

Established Member
Appreciate all the feedback. Definitely didn't want to risk anything that's why I turned here first. I have pulled on this guy before with my current setup so I will leave it be and hope for the best!
Throw some torco in the tank if you are going to beat on it.

Good luck, get it on video.

LMK if you ever want to run against a similar power TVS.

92fiveohfox

Established Member
Throw some torco in the tank if you are going to beat on it.

Good luck, get it on video.

LMK if you ever want to run against a similar power TVS.

He's on e85...

OP: I'd also shift higher if you want some extra power instead of throwing a diff pulley.

Last edited:

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
I agree on shifting it higher for more power!

I've ran smaller pulleys on my TVS blower without a retune... The wide band keeps the same A/F as long as your fuel system is up to par... I data logged it to make sure.

Beef said 650 to 700, your close at 675... How much more HP would a smaller pulley be worth?

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
even with lower compression.

I'm not a big fan of high compression, we do 9 to 9.5 on fuel. 10.1 on e85. never see a big difference going to 11 or 11.5 on these cars. the lower compression is much more forgiving though

Users who are viewing this thread