AED Tuned Boss runs 11.52!

svt1111

Established Member
I've been working on ET in this car a little bit this past year. Baseline with the stock tires was 12.4 at 114 and change. I added an AED tune, Lethal off road 3" X pipe, and Steeda CAI. I went back to the track and ran 12.1's in crappy air and on a 28" tire.

So, realizing that my tire was too tall, I switched to a 26" tire and ran a 11.97 at 116 at Lebanon Valley, NY.

Yesterday, I ran my home track, New England Dragway. This time I had a set of Race Star skinnies on the car, no other mods from above. DA was mineshaft though, and track prep was the best I've ever seen. Here are the results:

Run One:

97.12 mph

I was stoked to get an 11.57 because my goal was 11.70's! I figured this would be my best pass of the day....was it????

Run Two

Missed a shift hitting rev limiter, aborted run, but had a 1.64 short time.

Run Three:

96.26 mph

Run Four:

97.87 mph
116.82 mph

Run Five:

97.27 mph
11.527!
116.68 mph

Run five was not only my best run of the day, but I was paired up with a ZL1! I won't trash talk the car or owner though. He was on stock tires and it was his second pass ever in the car. He missed a shift and spun the tires so it was an easy win. His first past ever in the car he went 12.8 at 117.89 MPH, so that's not too shabby. It was fun being paired up with him, and I felt a little pressure not to do anything stupid, so to run my best pass of the year was very pleasing to me. So far, for me it's Boss 3- Camaro 0. I've beaten each one I've raced, lol.

I observed with a friend that the trap speeds at New England Dragway seem a little off from other tracks. When my buddy was at Lebanon with me in his auto trans GT, it went 12.1 at 114 and change, and it was shutting off at the 1,000' mark as if it was hitting a rev limiter in 4th gear. It did the same thing at New England yesterday but it ran a quick 11.84 at 113 and change, so that tells us the trap speed may be off a little at this track. I thought my traps would be closer to 118-119 mph running mid 11's but it is what it is.

Overall, I'm extremely happy to run mid 11's on a NA 302.

I weighed the car without me in it. It weighed 3460 with the Race Stars and my 95 Mustang GT wheels in back wearing 26-11.50-16 ET Street Bias plys. With me in the car, race weight was 3,700 even.

I'll post pics of the car with the race tires/wheels at some point. They're on my iphone and I have over 1200 pics on it so its a pain to download onto my laptop!

These Boss's are a lot of fun!

Last edited:

5 DOT 0

Established Member
Impressive runs. Any other comments about the AED tune? How is it on the street?

svt1111

Established Member
Impressive runs. Any other comments about the AED tune? How is it on the street?

Thanks.

These passes I posted were with the street tune. I haven't tried the drag race tune at all yet.

I've posted before as I'm very pleased with Shaun's tune! As many others have stated, his service is excellent and his tunes are what I'd consider perfect. No hiccups, just smooth power.

The biggest thing I noticed with the tune (did the off road X pipe and Steeda CAI at same time) is that the mid range power is most improved. The car actually will shove you into the seat around 4,500-5,000 RPM whereas before, stock, in that range it would just accelerate a little faster in a linear manner.

Other comments regarding the tune is the fun factor of being able to shift at 8k on demand with no shift lockout! Only reason that I think I missed a shift on my second run was due to me attempting to powershift at a hair over 8k. It felt like I let it touch the limiter and I may have not timed my clutch release with my shifter pull. I need more practice, lol!

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Congrats man an all this with the stock 2pc drive shaft?

ArabianOak

Established Member
First off CONGRATS on those times. Me and you have the same mods and I now know what my car can do if I simply get my 60 feet as good as you got yours...sooooooo that leads me to my next question...how did you launch? Other than the skinnies in front we are almost identical and our traps speeds are dead on...

Please describe your launch technique in detail if possible...I am going back tomorrow night...LOL!

Thanks and good job!

ArabianOak

Established Member
Here's my timeslip to compare to...i'm on the left side and ran [email protected]

BossDrag_zps64184b7b.jpg

chancejat

Established Member
wonder why you only picking up 19 or 20 mph on the back half? are running out of gear in 4th? wonder what you would run on street tires without skinnies?

Last edited:

svt1111

Established Member
First off CONGRATS on those times. Me and you have the same mods and I now know what my car can do if I simply get my 60 feet as good as you got yours...sooooooo that leads me to my next question...how did you launch? Other than the skinnies in front we are almost identical and our traps speeds are dead on...

Please describe your launch technique in detail if possible...I am going back tomorrow night...LOL!

Thanks and good job!

Thanks!

All I was doing was a second gear burnout until I saw smoke, rolling through the VHT with tires spinning up to the starting line. This coats the tires with "sticky".

As for launching, all I was doing was bringing revs to between 4,500-5,000 grand and a quick clutch slip while quickly but not abrupty going to WOT.

That's pretty much it. Still had sway bar in the car . Thought about disconnecting it but I was okay with how the car left the line.

I put front shocks to 1, left rear to 1, and right rear to 2.

Good luck and keep us posted!!

svt1111

Established Member
wonder why you only picking up 19 or 20 mph on the back half? are running out of gear in 4th? wonder what you would run on street tires without skinnies?

I was curious about this too. Normally I'd expect 120 mph traps with the eighth mile speeds being over 97 MPH. I honestly suspect that the trap speed readings at the track were off. By how much, I don't know. As I mentioned, at Lebanon Valley my buddy's auto GT ran 12.1 at 114 and his tune was preventing the car from exceeding 7,000 rpm. His tune change he ran at New England Dragway resulted in the same lay over at 7,000 rpm. Since his car has a 26" drag radial with 4.10's, it is at 7,000 before the finish line! For him to run 11.84 at New England Dragway but trap 1 MPH less than he did at Lebanon Dragway with the car still shutting down at the 1,000' mark, that tells me that the trap speeds are suspect. The DA was incredible though, and as such I expected around 118-119 traps at least on mine.

Maybe Shaun could chime in? I ran 4 gallons of 100 octane unleaded over about 3 gallons of 93 octane, so I highly doubt it pulled any timing but I did not log any passes.

The car felt strong all the way though. I saw 120-122 MPH as I passed the scoring boards, which are only maybe 50' past the finish line. RPM was around 7,600.

svt1111

Established Member
Very nice et's, congrats!

Thanks man!

I have to confess that your times were my benchmark! I need to know why my traps were 6-7MPH slower though! This did disappoint me. I'm accustom to having good traps and lackluster ET. Not the other way around!

Maybe my shifting isn't as fast?? Long tubes make that MUCH of a difference you think?

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
I have the same thing going on....I was picking up 27mph on the back half when I was stock, stock wheels/tires, also gained 27mph when I had full bolt-ons and 26inch tire. I switched to an off-road xpipe, aluminum driveshaft, and custom dyno tune and my car runs the same ET's as before (in worse DA), but 8mph less. My car is much stronger after the tune, gained 10whp over my previous e-tune, so I know it's not the tune. I'm guessing the drag strip's equipment was jacked up.

svt1111

Established Member
Yeah, sounds about what I'm seeing too.

I never dyno'd my car though. Judging by my traps the car is probably making 420 to the tire (?). It did go through the traps right about 7,500 though which I know is 120-122 range by the speedo.

Unrealford

Established Member
Nice.11.5s thats awesome. My best have only been 11.92/11.97 @115.54
I finally installed a Tune today and a CAI. Hoping to get to track Sunday coming up..
Im hoping for 11.7s but jeesg 11.5s thats awesome..

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
Nice.11.5s thats awesome. My best have only been 11.92/11.97 @115.54
I finally installed a Tune today and a CAI. Hoping to get to track Sunday coming up..
Im hoping for 11.7s but jeesg 11.5s thats awesome..

Awesome, good luck with the new upgrades. Which cai/tune?

Users who are viewing this thread