Aftermarket hub Assembly toast

SicilianMobster

Established Member
Come to find out that both of my rear wheel bearings spun and broke apart and the hubs are shot. I went down to ford and got a factory replacement hub just to find out i have upgraded half shafts. I think the guy i bought it from said they were built to stand 900hp so im assuming they are level 5's. Im wondering if i have to buy a whole new driveshaft setup or can i get JUST the hubs? The hubs that are on there are a little weird though. It looks like they have been machined down to fit around the shaft. Is that a normal thing for upgraded halfshaft hubs? They go from no splines to very little splines and then back to the "stock"length. Its kinda hard to explain but i had to throw it back together since its a DD. Any Ideas? :shrug:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Come to find out that both of my rear wheel bearings spun and broke apart and the hubs are shot. I went down to ford and got a factory replacement hub just to find out i have upgraded half shafts. I think the guy i bought it from said they were built to stand 900hp so im assuming they are level 5's. Im wondering if i have to buy a whole new driveshaft setup or can i get JUST the hubs? The hubs that are on there are a little weird though. It looks like they have been machined down to fit around the shaft. Is that a normal thing for upgraded halfshaft hubs? They go from no splines to very little splines and then back to the "stock"length. Its kinda hard to explain but i had to throw it back together since its a DD. Any Ideas? :shrug:

This is another reason I don't like L-5 halfshafts. :(

You should be able to get replacement hubs from DSS. I know they have had several design changes over the years so you better call them and see if they can identify what you have and see what they can do for you.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
With 800 ft/lbs do you think a stock set-up would handle the torque or am i going to need to get the "Pro-levels"?

At 800 lb/ft of torque you are certainly pushing the limits of the IRS at that point. I guess it depends on how much you plan on drag racing the car and how much aggressive street driving you do.

DSS will actually tell you that the L-5 halfshafts are for drag racing only and not for everyday street driving! :dw:

FWIW

SicilianMobster

Established Member
I actually only plan on taking it to the track once a year if im lucky..... However i do drive it pretty hard on the street. Its on a de-tune right now w/ a 3.5 pully and no nos so im guestimating ~650 ft/lbs right now. Stock half-shafts cant take that much can they?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I actually only plan on taking it to the track once a year if im lucky..... However i do drive it pretty hard on the street. Its on a de-tune right now w/ a 3.5 pully and no nos so im guestimating ~650 ft/lbs right now. Stock half-shafts cant take that much can they?

Stock halfshafts can take 650 only if the factory rubber has been removed from the entire IRS assembly.

Blown38

Established Member
I had a bearing go bad on one of mine. The 33 spline hubs from DSS are 225 each. If you are talking about the hub with the lug studs for the wheels.

Last edited:

SicilianMobster

Established Member
wow thats alot cheaper than i was expecting since i just returned the factory hub for 319. ill give them a call. Is there a certain person i should talk to?

Users who are viewing this thread