Am I being too picky?

IM3CPO

Established Member
Hi all!

I recently purchased a 2012 GT500 with the SVT Performance Package (white with red stripes). I had the dealer apply Cilajet to the paint as I live in Seattle and it rains here all the time. Cilajet is applied like a wax but bonds to the metal such that nothing sticks to the car. I had this done to the wheels as well. The end goal is to make the car quicker and easier to clean....

I noticed today while putting gas in the car that my stripes have numerous light swirls (looks just like swirls within the clearcoat of a black car that was waxed incorrectly). I have only had the car for a week and have not even washed it myself yet. I assume this happened while the Cilajet was being applied at the dealer.

My question is should I complain to the dealer and insist they replace the stripes? Or am I just being too anal???? Any idea how difficult the stripes are to apply (and get them right)? I don't want to make the car worse.....

You can't notice the swirls in normal sun light; rather, you need to use fluorescent or other artificial light sources....

I appreciate any advice fellow owners could give me..... Thanks!!

p.s. I will try to get some pictures of the car posted soon.....

IM3CPO

Established Member
I have not tried rubbing them out with a micro fiber cloth, but will definately give it a try. I hope to have time tomorrow to give the car a wash and will report back with results.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
uggg, Cilajet.... These dealers that push this garbage on people should be charged with theft by deception. There isn't any kind of sealant that you can put on your PAINT that will bond with the METAL. The clear coat is a few mils deep, then there's a few mils of color base coat, then there's a few more mils of primer. If Cilajet bonded with the metal, it would have to first somehow get below the lowest level of paint without harming it. Then it would be useless to protect the finish because it would be UNDER the finish...

I'm not flaming you OP, I just hate to see people get hosed with these BS snake oil solutions that some dealers push onto their customers. That Cilajet crap won't do anything more than a good quality, long lasting sealant like Klasse, PoorBoys, Chemical Guys, Menzerna, Megwires, etc.... It also sounds like the product they put on your car has a glaze in it that shouldn't have been applied to the vinyl stripes. They probably aren't damaged, but you'll have to use a stripper to get the swirls out most likely and that will undoubtedly remove the entire coating of whatever sealant they call Cilajet.

My suggestion; either pay someone to detail the car property with correction and a strong, long lasting sealant once every 4 or 5 months OR head over to the Show and Shine Saloon forum on here and start researching how to do it yourself. There's a lot of different opinions of the products out there and tons of great information on how to apply them.

Last edited:

IM3CPO

Established Member
Thanks for the advice..

I totally understand your point with regard to the claim of Cilajet "bonding" to the metal and that it doesnt make sense due to the simple facts you laid out. Thanks for the advice and reference to the forum, I will check it out and see if I can get a game plan to handle it on my own or having it handled outside the dealer. If they can't apply this "wax" correctly, I don't have much confidence in them being to correct the issue....

Thanks again for your help!

NJSP117

Established Member
+1 on the snake oil....those car salesman do whatever they can to try to make a few extra bucks...they tell you tree sap and bird 5hit won't stick to anything once that's applied...what a bunch of crap....after a few washes it washes off....
I wouldn't have a dealer try to replace the stripes, try to work the swirls out of the stripes with the micro fiber...hopefully that takes care of it....

mullens

Established Member
Sometimes they don't even ask...they apply the stuff and add it to the sticker price. Bunch of crooks.

IM3CPO

Established Member
Sometimes they don't even ask...they apply the stuff and add it to the sticker price. Bunch of crooks.

That was the case with me..... I got them to take $$ off for it, but not for the entire amount.... I still got a good deal on the car overall, but yeah, its a bit of a scam in that they apply it to all their high end cars automatically.

YBBrembo

Established Member
I'm taking mine back for a 6"x6" patch of clearcoat swirls on the hood. But, if they can't get them to buff out, I'm not going to have them crack the new paint to fix it. Looks like they did a small chip repair (probably from shipping) but used a coarse compound.

I'd take it back if you trust them to do it right.

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
I'd have them remove the stuff off the stripes. It sounds like whoever was applying the sealant just wasn't careful.. it happens...

Or, wash it down and use a good Micro Fiber towel (no pressure) to lift the product.

G/L

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
You can have the dealer fix it. If not like said have a professional detailer fix it

myblackgt

MPG LOL
Established Member
if i were you i would dawn wash the car to strip what ever the dealer put on, then invest in a quality sealant like: menzerna powerlock, chemical guys JetSeal109, Blackfire Wet diamond, etc.

TexasShelby

Established Member
if your stripes are vinyl, it may have been "burnt" in. If you can't get them out, I would first return the car to the dealer and ask for all new stripes and to pay to have the coating removed or a complete refund of the item, if they did not want to comply, I would contact your area FoMoCo rep for that area and discuss it with them, usually they will take care of anything like that without much hassle at all.

Users who are viewing this thread