An Alternative for the MGW Shifter Handle Now Exists!

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by MGW
well i guess i did not expect any less from upr. just thought it would have happened by now. those guys could have atv least used a little creativity and made a unique design but i guess that would take an ounce of talent.

anyway , i am going to get to work on trying to make our a handles a bit more efficiently and hopefully match the price. but price is not how i set the products i design. i make them function right first.

there are some serious shortcomings with uprs version but i guess they will just have to find them out for themselves.:mj:

also i do not see the rubber flanges, washers, lock nuts etc. we include in our kit for the 2.05 savings they give . i wonder if they are gonna include them. they should as the flange is the key to improving noise.

i want thank all of you that have purchased our shifter handle and hope that this cheap imitation does not sway you future cobra guys but just in case i am gonna go one step further...

i am going to change the price on monday of our handle to 30.00 and just figure out a way to still make money on them. i think i can just by making them in higher volume runs . if i can't thats my problem.

also if anybody has ordered an MGW shifter handle in the past EVER then you can get a 5.00 credit towards any future MGW order.

why am i doing this??? because some of the money i had put into the price was to recoup r&d costs and i can chop that off. that may at least account for a few dollars in my costs. upr has the luxury of no shame so r&d does not cost them a dime.

oh and also ...

because UPR SUCKS!!!!!!!:xpl:

regards
george
MGW
I really like my MGW shifter handle. It is a quality piece and I would definitely buy from your company again. I wouldn't buy a steeda CAI because it looks too much like the PHP design even though there are some small differences.

MGW

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Originally posted by coleman
MGW, do this. offer a lower cost alternative ... that matches UPRs knock-off version exactly (even w/o nuts & bolts) and compare them side by side on your site ...
IOW, cheaper version for same price as UPR right next to your deluxe (in your case, original) version :)

good idea one big problem....

i cannot make a version comparable to the upr one because i will not put my name with it. we have had so many companies wanting us to make raw billet cheapo versions of our stuff so that we can sell them to them at dealer cost to mark up. i will not do this ever!!!

as a designer looking thru the eyes of a potential customer i feel that the kit requires ALL the components to make it work right. i will not screw a cusotmer out of a good kit just to make a sale against upr. instead i am gonna make sure i can aggressively look at making the same high quality product even better and cheaper.

i am sure when i lower my handle to 30.00 upr will undercut it again. who cares .let them at it. i will not price war fight them any further. but at least any of you guys that does decide to buy theirs will pay even less for it :nono:

george

Last edited:

Torch Red 10th

Established Member
I bought just about every MGW piece offered for my '01 GT. I sold it "as is" before I got the Cobra. Left all my MGW stuff on it. Buyer wanted it all. The majority of my first parts I bought for my '03 Cobra were the MGW pieces. It was a no-brainer for me. I've bough MANY things from them and have NEVER had a problem with any. There were a few things UPR made/copied/ripped off someone else that MGW didn't offer. I ordered a few of them. Some came, some didn't. The missing pieces finally arrived and were the wrong finish. It was like pulling teeth to get them to exchange it for the right stuff. The quality and craftsmanship left a lot to be desired too. There are a few things right now that UPR is offering that I would like to have, but I just cannot get myself to do business with them again.

George, keep up the good work and your stuff is top notch. And now that I know you're lurking around here, let me ask you a question. Do you remember about a year or two ago you offered Mustang A/C vent knobs with a solid round center knob that had the running pony on it? How about making some more with a Cobra on it. I WANT ONE BAD! How many would need to be sold to get you to justify making some? Just thought I'd ask.

Jason

KDog

Established Member
Originally posted by MGW

as a designer looking thru the eyes of a potential customer i feel that the kit requires ALL the components to make it work right.

george [/B]

..and that's why people will pay the extra $2 and change. :)

Well, at least I know I would. The MGW handle has been on my list of planned mods since before I bought the cobra, and it will stay there until I purchase it.

Smrgol

Yeah, well....MGW rocks! 'nuff said. MGW's custormer service and quality is worth every penny of several times the couple of bucks saved on knock-offs, afaiac. The nature of competition in business is more than simply price.

Just had to chime in :). Please continue with your regularly scheduled thread :D.

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
I've been meaning to post this: George, your stuff is awesome! As a person who runs a company who's flagship product has been ripped off (poor attempt), I sympathize with you. I've been following your stuff since I owned Bullitt #5434 and frequented IMBOC.com.

I will be placing an order for some billet stuff from you tonight.

Joe from UPR, you have no shame. I will never again buy a damn thing from you.

Keep the faith George,

MJ

B03Cobra

SVT G0D
Established Member
Yes MGW is class act, I think I own one of everything they make lol. I love my keychain light! And would not be able to live without the shift handle, and my gripper knob!

2kbill

Established Member
George,

Had to leave you my comments -- I haven't purchased many non-hp things for my Cobra, but the few choice items that I have are mostly from you. Most recently, I got your newest gripper knob in satin and its a jewel!

I'm sure there are a few that will buy that CRAP from UPR, but the vast majority of the community will continue to support you and your business, you've earned it!

Best regards,
Bill

geepaw

Heck yes I did it!
Established Member
couple of questions on the shifters...

I want to get a shorter trow shifter. I take it I have to buy a short throw shifter sperately and then get a handle.

a few things I am hoping to accomplish:
- shorten shifts
- move shifter centerline (nuetral ) further back
- not make thed shifter so low it is ergonomically worse than stock (bad past experience )
- help minimize/get rid of the 2-3 shift miss
- not too much extra interior noise

recommendations welcomed

rmoreau

Established Member
Geepaw,

The MGW handel will accomplish all on your list, it is the mod you want.

Use it on your stock shifter until you decide to move up to a Pro or other shifter. You will be glad you did!!!

Randy

cydewaze

the bat!!!
Established Member
Whoa, I didn't realize MGW made parts for other cars. I just emailed my buddy with the PT Cruiser the url of MGW's site.

I think I'm liking the Bullitt-style fuel doors as well. :-D

03cobrablack

Where is the KABOOM ????
Established Member
I think MGW has first rate products my only complaint ( I know its minor) is I dont like the snake that is engraved on the cobra items just my opinion not intended to be a flame.

MGW

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Originally posted by 03cobrablack
I think MGW has first rate products my only complaint ( I know its minor) is I dont like the snake that is engraved on the cobra items just my opinion not intended to be a flame.

we are in the process of updating our cobra logo ... have you seen these...

satin3dcobra.jpg

Last edited:

MGW

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Originally posted by Torch Red 10th

George, keep up the good work and your stuff is top notch. And now that I know you're lurking around here, let me ask you a question. Do you remember about a year or two ago you offered Mustang A/C vent knobs with a solid round center knob that had the running pony on it? How about making some more with a Cobra on it. I WANT ONE BAD! How many would need to be sold to get you to justify making some? Just thought I'd ask.

Jason

jason,

i really liked them too but the onlyb problem was that the temp knob was hardly ever in the noon postion and it kinda defeated the idea of having a logo since it was always upside down or something. i have been toying with making some round styles again that look better so i may give it another go. i was thinking maybe a 2 tone like we do for the new viper srt10

what do you think of this...

viperac-radio_srt.jpg

george

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Originally posted by MGW
...snip... but the onlyb problem was that the temp knob was hardly ever in the noon postion ...snip...

I have this (super minor, niggling/whining) problem with my temp knob, never seems to point straight up unless I carefully put it in that "between clicks" spot. I believe you used to make round knobs before you went to the style I have. Seems that cener knob has a different natural position than the other two. Whatever, I like the look and am keeping them, minor adjustments and all.

fa7d2b82.jpg

Good to know that MGW is checking out our site here. I have a lot of your stuff in my car, including;

6-spd Competition Shift Knob
Shifter handle
Temp Knobs
"EJECT" Lighter
Deluxe E-brake handle

Closer/more pics of all of it in my "bling' album in the sig.

fd5478b6.jpg

Looking closely at that new cobra knob too..............:coolman:

Torch Red 10th

Established Member
Originally posted by MGW
jason,

i really liked them too but the onlyb problem was that the temp knob was hardly ever in the noon postion and it kinda defeated the idea of having a logo since it was always upside down or something. i have been toying with making some round styles again that look better so i may give it another go. i was thinking maybe a 2 tone like we do for the new viper srt10

what do you think of this...

viperac-radio_srt.jpg

george

George,

Those knobs look pretty good. They look kinda big. I'd have to see a pic of them on a Mustang. I have a 10th anniversary edition with a lot of red interior. I've been mainly buying chrome stuff when I buy interior parts. Also, the Mustang interior isn't black either, it's charcoal. So it's hard for me to buy colored parts because nothing seems to match very well. If you end up making those knobs in a bright red like Primary Red, Torch Red, or any red close to the color of my car with the ring in chrome I'll buy a set. There's really no red in the middle of my interior, so as long as it was close it would work.

cydewaze

the bat!!!
Established Member
I'm really liking the satin finish MGW stuff. Once I get my adjustable stick, I'll have to see how close to perfect I can get the position of the shift knob. Right now my "heated and bent" stock stick is almost perfect, but the stock knob "leans" forward a bit too much. I'm so picky about this stuff... *sigh*

Unfortunately, I now need to buy a shifter bezel (the part with the boot on it, whatever that's called) because the bottom tab broke off mine the last time I goofed with the shifter.

PhillyCobra

Established Member
George,

While you're following this thread, I'd like to ask 2 questions:

1.) I have many of your parts (they're great!) in satin finish. Do you know a specific spray paint (aluminum) that would match this finish if I wanted to spray some interior plastic pieces?

2.) When are you going to make window and lock button kits?

Users who are viewing this thread