Another Question - Fuel Related

OZ Dude

Going Crazy Down Under!
Established Member
So, with Gas prices hitting $6+ per gallon in Oz for low grade unleaded, it's getting a fair bit more costly per month. Premium is now $6.80 per gallon!

I drive the Cobra as a DD and it gets the odd run in boost, but mostly just potters along. If I take it out on the weekend it might get more of a workout but for 95% of the time, it just cruises.

I know we don't have knock sensors in our cars so I want to know if it's safe to run normal unleaded if I'm not into boost all the time?

Remember that our grades of unleaded are inferior to yours but in comparison, our premium is 91 Octane, and we have 89, and 87. We also now have the 10% ethanol blends creeping in which supposedly bring the base fuel up to 89-90.

What can I run??

Thanks,
Oz

T-Pain808

I Love Asian Girls!!!
Established Member
Your car takes premium, I think you would be taking
a huge risk. I run 92 with 10% ethanol, cause that's all we got.
Tuned for 91, I get 10 MPG, Ya, it sucks, but I love my car.
Get a beater, but don't run 87.

OZ Dude

Going Crazy Down Under!
Established Member
Yeah, just wasn't sure if I could run the 10% ethanol blends or not. They peg the Octane about the same as our "mid level" fuel and it runs on that quite well.

Can you use the E10 in a Termi?? You don't have any problems with it??

Thanks,
Oz

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
One has to wonder if threads like this will become more commonplace if the price of gas here climbs to near $6.00 a gallon. Sure would hurt the future of muscle cars. At least the V8 variety. :-(

Tom's_03SVT

Established Member
Too risky in my opinion. .80 X 13 gallons is a $12.40 difference each fill up and a new motor is well over that. Stick to the good stuff, my man.

Last edited:

OZ Dude

Going Crazy Down Under!
Established Member
One has to wonder if threads like this will become more commonplace if the price of gas here climbs to near $6.00 a gallon. Sure would hurt the future of muscle cars. At least the V8 variety. :-(

The ongoing issue here is that the price is climbing weekly. We've already been told to expect $7 per gallon for 87 octane by next week. That'll make premium unleaded up to $7.50 per gallon.

$100 to fill up a Cobra anyone??

Welcome to the brave new world :bash:

Oz

Ryushin

Established Member

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Bad idea to run cheap gas. Maybe if the car is bone stock you could get away with a lower octane only tune. Other than that I'd stay with the higher octane

OZ Dude

Going Crazy Down Under!
Established Member
Ugh, gas went up 20 cents per LITER today and they say there's more to come. Can you imagine driving in to a gas station only to see the price is 80cents per gallon more than yesterday??

I'm surprised all your fuels have E10 over there. We only have it in limited quantities and then it's only the lower grade fuel. Mobil are the exception, they market their blend as a mid grade.

Tha knock sensor sounds like a good idea but by the time I pay for that, and a tuner, I may as well buy better gas :shrug:

Oz

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Damn, it looks like things are really getting bad for you down there, Tony :nonono:

Did prices just start to rise?

For me it's gone up $1/gallon since the beginning of the year, which is bad but not intolerable...

Last edited:

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
why do people even consider this....do ya'll understand how a boosted engine works?

69sta03cobradan

Established Member
Supercharger=stay with high octane fuel or the engine will be making lots of strange noises and may even stop working all together... is the savings per tank worth the 7 to 9 k for a new engine (someone correct me if this figure is inaccurate).

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Ugh, gas went up 20 cents per LITER today and they say there's more to come. Can you imagine driving in to a gas station only to see the price is 80cents per gallon more than yesterday??

I'm surprised all your fuels have E10 over there. We only have it in limited quantities and then it's only the lower grade fuel. Mobil are the exception, they market their blend as a mid grade.

Tha knock sensor sounds like a good idea but by the time I pay for that, and a tuner, I may as well buy better gas :shrug:

Oz
Maybe you need to fill up a few 55 gal barrels and store them in your garage to hedge against future spikes. Just keep them safely away from the gas water heater and/or gas furnace.

Funny story, a friend's wife threw him out of the house and sued him for divorce. He was getting his stuff out of the house, which included the clothes washer/dryer. When pulling the washer away from the garage wall, he found a large wasp nest, so he threw some gas on it to kill the buggers. The gas soaked through (under) the wall to the gas water heater behind the wall. The gas fumes were ignited by the flame (major bummer). He got the fire put out, but not before burning down half the garage. When she got home, she was pissed. Unintended consequences!
:beer:

Knoxville COBRA

Established Member
I only run 93 in my car,Its only $4.05 here, I use to haul gas from the refinery to the stations here in TN. about a year ago and my boss told me that ethinol raises the octane levels, My exboss has been in the buisness a long time and he talks to the station managers daily so i think he knows what hes talking about. For instance when we loaded for shell we would put the same gas in the regulare tank as the midgrade tank becouse it raised 87 oct. to 89. You might want to look into this. Good luck man

Users who are viewing this thread