Another sell out...

03DOHC

Established Member
OK, so I got the car Saturday, white 04, pullied, tuned, JLT, exhaust and it is beautiful. But after a few days of driving it, I have come to the realization that it simply doesnt feel anything like my 97 did, and I wouldnt consider that a good thing. The instant 14lbs of boost hit is wonderful, but thats it, it doesnt build as rpm does. The procharged 97 pulled and pulled and pulled. I'm not so sure that the 97 wouldnt run this car down, and this 04 is tuned and runs great. The 97 just had that "I'm a badass" feeling, the 04 just feels like a really nice car that goes fast really quickly. I dont regret my purchase and know I got a good deal, but if I had it to do over again, I would have kept the 97, built the motor and swapped the P1 for a D1 and been in heaven. the top end charge of the procharger is more visceral than the instant ,then flat, hit of the eaton. Maybe a KB or whipple will remedy that, I dont know, but I sure miss my 97 now, it was such a beautiful car.
It's going to feel completely different because the torque curve is flat as a pancake and not peaky like the centrifugal blower power delivery you're used to.

As for the eaton, it's not instant and then flat, LOL. On a pullied Terminator (typical 2.76 pulley) the HP builds continuously all the way to redline and then it falls off. The difference is the torque peaks early and stays, it doesn't start low and build up.

Here's an example from my car a while ago, before I got a Stiegemeier ported eaton, on a mild tune, 19 degrees of timing.

dynotf.jpg

When I first drove my Terminator, brand new, it didn't feel much faster than my 97 Cobra and I was a little disappointed, but the more I drove it I could feel the power was just delivered differently. My 97 and its 4.30s was peaky and my 03 didn't seem to rush through the gears like my 97 did. But my butt-o-meter knew better and I was right.

Take it to the track or go run some people you've run with your old car to make a comparison. BTW, what kind of numbers did your other car make and what is this 04 supposed to make? And congrats on the new car.

It also wouldn't hurt to get it on a dyno to make sure it is running right.

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
It's going to feel completely different because the torque curve is flat as a pancake and not peaky like the centrifugal blower power delivery you're used to.

As for the eaton, it's not instant and then flat, LOL. On a pullied Terminator (typical 2.76 pulley) the HP builds continuously all the way to redline and then it falls off. The difference is the torque peaks early and stays, it doesn't start low and build up.

Here's an example from my car a while ago, before I got a Stiegemeier ported eaton, on a mild tune, 19 degrees of timing.

dynotf.jpg

When I first drove my Terminator, brand new, it didn't feel much faster than my 97 Cobra and I was a little disappointed, but the more I drove it I could feel the power was just delivered differently. My 97 and its 4.30s was peaky and my 03 didn't seem to rush through the gears like my 97 did. But my butt-o-meter knew better and I was right.

Take it to the track or go run some people you've run with your old car to make a comparison. BTW, what kind of numbers did your other car make and what is this 04 supposed to make? And congrats on the new car.

I had a friend that had an 04 w/ a 2.93 (427rwhp I think) and he let me drive it. It did have gobs of power down low but after 4500 it felt like the curve was on the down swing. Then I went for a ride in my buddys S-trim'd 98 cobra and it felt like a plane taking off. It kept pulling and pulling and pulling all the way to redline. Gave more of a feeling that you were going faster. Much like a turbo car.

-Mark

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
you'll eventually find that joy you had with your 97. you just had more memories with it. i would feel sick for weeks if i sold mine.

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
shit dude you have a better looking car, 6 speed, and endless potential now...

Blown4v

Just Another Sell Out
Established Member
BTW, what kind of numbers did your other car make and what is this 04 supposed to make? And congrats on the new car.

97 made 400/374
04 makes 452/472

Dont get me wrong, I love the car, but it just doesnt feel like the 97 did, but I spent a lot of time and $$ to get the 97 where I wanted it

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member

Well great potential but not endless potential. There comes a point when the stock 03 Cobra pistons cant take anymore or the owner explores the PTW clearance a little too far. They can handle 600+ rwhp rather reliably but above that its on borrowed time like any other short block.

If you roam around the turbo cobra section you will find there are a lot of those guys with rebuilt shortblocks with better rods, pistons and PTW clearance, all ARP hardware etc. Lets not forget that you can blow up a bone stock 03 Cobra by doing a top speed run and shifting into 5th or 6th.

And the t-56 with its factory 10 spline can break with a ported eaton Cobra.

And better looking......well thats subjective, unless the 03 Cobra is a DSG Cobra :bowdown:

OP in reality you made a great move. You went to a newer car with probabaly less hassle than your 97, makes more power reliably, and has a better platform than the 97 to start with. Give it time and you will fall in love with it. You are just experiencing buyers remorse.

Blown4v

Just Another Sell Out
Established Member
not buyers remorse, seller's remorse. I dont regret buying the car at all, just wish I also still had the 97 to take out and sound like a freaking jet

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
I know the feeling, in the end its just a car. You could screw around with this one for a little bit and then move back into another sn95..

NoviBlown92

Tire Smoker
Established Member

I agree on everything except the better looking part. That's the only reason I still have my 97 is it looks so badass. The new edge cars are ugly but that's just my opinion.

elcobrita

Established Member
I agree on everything except the better looking part. That's the only reason I still have my 97 is it looks so badass. The new edge cars are ugly but that's just my opinion.

+1, there is no mustang that has better looks than the sn95 cobra from the door forward, its from the door back that the look could be improved

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
The man's feelin down... I'm trying to talk his new car up! Centri's sound badass, and you dont see many sn95 cobras around, but the op made a good move getting the terminator.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
+1, there is no mustang that has better looks than the sn95 cobra from the door forward, its from the door back that the look could be improved

Agree! The back end of the terminator>>>>>>>>>SN-95 Cobra. But for the front its SN-95>>>>>>>>>terminator.

On a side not I think the Mach 1 with 01 Cobra bumper, and bullet side skirts is the best looking IMO.

Vigilante

Established Member
Something new is always fun, besides if its sold to a member you can see what the owner is up to and how the car is fairing.

GeoSnake

Mustang Week Staff
Established Member
OK, so I got the car Saturday, white 04, pullied, tuned, JLT, exhaust and it is beautiful. But after a few days of driving it, I have come to the realization that it simply doesnt feel anything like my 97 did, and I wouldnt consider that a good thing. The instant 14lbs of boost hit is wonderful, but thats it, it doesnt build as rpm does. The procharged 97 pulled and pulled and pulled. I'm not so sure that the 97 wouldnt run this car down, and this 04 is tuned and runs great. The 97 just had that "I'm a badass" feeling, the 04 just feels like a really nice car that goes fast really quickly. I dont regret my purchase and know I got a good deal, but if I had it to do over again, I would have kept the 97, built the motor and swapped the P1 for a D1 and been in heaven. the top end charge of the procharger is more visceral than the instant ,then flat, hit of the eaton. Maybe a KB or whipple will remedy that, I dont know, but I sure miss my 97 now, it was such a beautiful car.

I've driven a dozen or so terminators and walk away with the same attitude. I did what you mentioned. I upgraded from the P1 to a D1 over the last year. I have forged rods/pistons, stock heads/cams and the D1SC. I maxed out my 42lb injectors at 5500 rpms where it made 517 to the wheels. Next I'm going to install the 60lb injectors and finish the tune and see where I'm at. Wish I'd upgraded to the D1 years ago. My interest in my SN95 has been renewed and I'm excited again. I may not make the power that a KB terminator makes, but I'll be in the car that I've had now for 13 years! I will stick with my SN95 Cobra!

03DOHC

Established Member
97 made 400/374
04 makes 452/472
Then assuming your 04 is running right it should stomp all over your 97.

Dont get me wrong, I love the car, but it just doesnt feel like the 97 did, but I spent a lot of time and $$ to get the 97 where I wanted it
I understand. Post your 97 dyno graph and compare it to my old graph since your 04 makes the same power (assuming it is running correctly right now) and you'll see what I am talking about.

Your ass-o-meter just needs to be re-calibrated for the linear power delivery. Believe me when I say you will get into to trouble really fast with this car because it doesn't "feel" fast, well that's relative, but you know what I'm talking about, LOL.

Mustang Matt

Established Member
I went the swap a "terminator powerplant in my 98" route and you're right it did nickel and dime me to death. Dollar wise I would have been better off buying an 03/04 but I like my car a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread