Any 6.4 PSD Experts? How Screwed am I?

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
So in other words, 6.0 > 6.4 :p

A 6.0 can at least be "fixed" and be pretty reliable for a long time. 6.4's are just ticking timebombs, they're good for making a bunch of power really easily but that's about it.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
A 6.0 can at least be "fixed" and be pretty reliable for a long time. 6.4's are just ticking timebombs, they're good for making a bunch of power really easily but that's about it.

Here's to hoping my 6.4 holds up for many years to come. I stay at stock power levels and am boarder-line obsessive about maintenance. It does tow heavy quite often though.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
6.0 always better than 6.4, but 6.'4s are power monsters. Buddy blew his 6.4 up and rebuilt it. now makes 770hp and 1400 ft lbs of torque. only mods are big single turbo, injectors and a tune

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Here's to hoping my 6.4 holds up for many years to come. I stay at stock power levels and am boarder-line obsessive about maintenance. It does tow heavy quite often though.

Deleted/studded and on stock power level is the best chance that a 6.4 has at living a long life, IMO. Even then it seems like it's total luck of the draw.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
takes a brave man to drive a 6.4L. Regardless of mileage/maintenance you are always just 1 stuck injector away from a melted piston and a $15k rebuild.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
takes a brave man to drive a 6.4L. Regardless of mileage/maintenance you are always just 1 stuck injector away from a melted piston and a $15k rebuild.

That's pretty much any diesel. Just ask Duramax owners, early ones were notorious for injector problems.

Dusten

Established Member
You mean, "No studs... yet." It's coming someday whether you want it to or not, lol
Lol, ask me how I know...
35f83190b81a11742fd7e572c1028525.jpg

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Hmm, no reply from the OP yesterday.

Didn't realize the issues the 6.4's had until Rotor_powered build threads and well this thread.

SirShaun

Established Member
Guy literally just picked it up. Hopefully get compression test results today, and a game plan together. All diesel's have their problems. The only scenarios you typically find online are bad lol. I'm sure a lot of people never have problems. I think with a 6.4 if you get rid of the emission stuff DPF/EGR early enough, it should be as reliable as a 6.0, they are almost the same motor.

SirShaun

Established Member
Not all diesels are time bombs. My buds have 03 & 04 cummins. Unbelievably reliable with great mileage. All stock.

Just gotta worry about the cab falling off, death wobbles, dodge problems. Perfect truck would be Ford Body, Cummins Motor, Allison Transmission.

I know you can get the F450+ with a Cummins if I'm not mistaken.

awful knawful

Established Member
Just gotta worry about the cab falling off, death wobbles, dodge problems. Perfect truck would be Ford Body, Cummins Motor, Allison Transmission.

I know you can get the F450+ with a Cummins if I'm not mistaken.
Well these guys work their trucks daily since new. Logging contractor and equipment contractor.

Users who are viewing this thread