Any 6.4 PSD Experts? How Screwed am I?

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Guy literally just picked it up. Hopefully get compression test results today, and a game plan together. All diesel's have their problems. The only scenarios you typically find online are bad lol. I'm sure a lot of people never have problems. I think with a 6.4 if you get rid of the emission stuff DPF/EGR early enough, it should be as reliable as a 6.0, they are almost the same motor.

They're pretty different. The 6.4 has serious issues with pistons and cam lobes. When a 6.0 breaks, it usually just breaks one part or one subsystem When a 6.4 breaks, more often than not it's totally trashed.

Dusten

Established Member
They're pretty different. The 6.4 has serious issues with pistons and cam lobes. When a 6.0 breaks, it usually just breaks one part or one subsystem When a 6.4 breaks, more often than not it's totally trashed.
The cam question is why I asked about doing an aftermarket cam while I do hg

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Motor has to come all the way out to do a cam, it goes in from the rear. I put a cam in when I rebuilt my motor, its a regrind with lobe ramps that aren't as steep, supposedly adds some power but who knows.

Dusten

Established Member
Motor has to come all the way out to do a cam, it goes in from the rear. I put a cam in when I rebuilt my motor, its a regrind with lobe ramps that aren't as steep, supposedly adds some power but who knows.
I did not know that.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I think the powertrain engineers at International are sadistic bastards and they'd probably be serial killers if they weren't engineers.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
It’s a pain in the ass. Especially getting the gear off the old cam and onto the new one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beau t

Established Member
I think with a 6.4 if you get rid of the emission stuff DPF/EGR early enough, it should be as reliable as a 6.0, they are almost the same motor.

from all of the issues i have seen from my buddies 6.0 trucks this comment shouldn't give anyone any warm fuzzy feelings

SirShaun

Established Member
I dunno I feel the 6.4 gets a bad rap just because they did not make for good service vehicles. I think the EGR system caused a lot of the problems, Regen heating up the pistons, pistons cooling off, pistons cracking. EGR can be blamed quite a bit for cam lobes too. Oil dilution with diesel fuel is a big problem if your not deleted. These trucks just do not do well idling. Maybe with a high idle switch and more oil pressure, they would fair better.

The DPF didn't help either, created a lot of back pressure, and furthered high EGTs.

Beyond that, front cover cavitation and radiator issues can be annoying I guess. It's hard for me to say the 6.4 is worst than the 6.0. Maybe stock for stock because of the DPF...

I think the people screaming stay away from them, are the ones working on service vehicles all day. A lot of hours, without the mileage to match.

If you get them deleted, keep them moving, oil changed every 5k, fuel filters every 10k, they should last. I'd love to have a 6.7, but they have quite a few problems too if you go looking. I don't think there is anyway around it. Emission restrictions are Fing diesels all to hell. Compound Turboed 7.3's for all.

I haven't heard anymore on mine. Shit, I cant even talk while mine is in the shop. I'm afraid to even find out, honestly. I'm hoping like hell they tell me I got a built motor, capable of 1000hp, and an injector had just come unplugged. Wishful thinking, right?

Last edited:

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I dunno I feel the 6.4 gets a bad rap just because they did not make for good service vehicles. I think the EGR system caused a lot of the problems, Regen heating up the pistons, pistons cooling off, pistons cracking. EGR can be blamed quite a bit for cam lobes too. Oil dilution with diesel fuel is a big problem if your not deleted. These trucks just do not do well idling. Maybe with a high idle switch and more oil pressure, they would fair better.

The DPF didn't help either, created a lot of back pressure, and furthered high EGTs.

Beyond that, front cover cavitation and radiator issues can be annoying I guess. It's hard for me to say the 6.4 is worst than the 6.0. Maybe stock for stock because of the DPF...

I think the people screaming stay away from them, are the ones working on service vehicles all day. A lot of hours, without the mileage to match.

If you get them deleted, keep them moving, oil changed every 5k, fuel filters every 10k, they should last. I'd love to have a 6.7, but they have quite a few problems too if you go looking. I don't think there is anyway around it. Emission restrictions are Fing diesels all to hell. Compound Turboed 7.3's for all.

I haven't heard anymore on mine. Shit, I cant even talk while mine is in the shop. I'm afraid to even find out, honestly. I'm hoping like hell they tell me I got a built motor, capable of 1000hp, and an injector had just come unplugged. Wishful thinking, right?

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the 6.4 is actually just that bad. The pistons have cavities in the casting which is what causes cracked pistons. The cam lobes have too steep of a ramp which is what kills rockers and wipes cams. Obviously the DPF/regen don’t do it any favors either. The one redeeming feature, and why everyone loves them (including myself), is that they make a ton of power very easily. For as much as mine has pissed me off, I can’t help but love the thing again every time I fire it up.

nxhappy

Established Member
trade that turd in, get a 3.5 EB, you will never go back...

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
trade that turd in, get a 3.5 EB, you will never go back...

Until the first time he lays into the skinny pedal or tows something, then it will be very obvious that he’s missing half the truck he had. Lol

B0B

Established Member
stepped "down" from a 2014 Ecoboost to a 2006 6.0. Had the Ecoboost tuned and it was a great truck, but I like my 6.0 better.

Thump_rrr

Established Member
stepped "down" from a 2014 Ecoboost to a 2006 6.0. Had the Ecoboost tuned and it was a great truck, but I like my 6.0 better.
Nobody hates Dodge more than I do.
I've owned A Dakota and 3 Rams for my company between 2003 and 2013 along with a 2008 F-250.
All were gassers.
All the Dodge trucks were turds as far as electrical issues, TPMS sensors, differentials, center bearings on driveshafts, etc.
The F-250 5.4 didn't cost me a penny.

If I have to buy a diesel pickup for any reason it will be a Dodge.
The Cummings can't be beat.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
A studded, deleted, Bullet Proof diesel equipped 6.0 is quite a good engine. The oil coolers and Ford Gold coolant are what killed 6.0s.

New ARP stud kit, fresh Ford head gaskets (assuming engine and head decks check ok and no piston issues), Oil to air oil cooler, deleted EGR or a BPD EGR cooler and Diesel rated coolant bring the reliability up near the 7.3. Injectors and injector Drivers can be an issue, but if properly addressed with upgraded parts (BPD for the win), its a bitching truck. Id love to have one someday, lol the 6.0s will be cheap enough because of their bad rep but can be turned into awesome rigs.

_Snake_

Established Member
Guy literally just picked it up. Hopefully get compression test results today, and a game plan together. All diesel's have their problems. The only scenarios you typically find online are bad lol. I'm sure a lot of people never have problems. I think with a 6.4 if you get rid of the emission stuff DPF/EGR early enough, it should be as reliable as a 6.0, they are almost the same motor.

They're actually very different motors.

Users who are viewing this thread