Any fresh 2015/2016 SVT Cobra news?

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
So I had the pleasure of talking to one of the engineers that does the testing at the proving grounds this weekend. He wouldnt say a whole lot. It will be a naturally aspirated car and its a little slower than the 13-14. There still working out harmonic issues.

Harmonics with the speculated flat plane crank?

fordsvtaz

AzSVT
Established Member
Slower in what way? top speed, 1320, or road course?

He didnt compare track times or top speed. Just said the hp is less.
The crank was giving them the harmonic issues. They have been trying different transmissions and other things.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Sounds like a flat plane related concern.

Car is shaping up to be a capable beast of a thing, should rightly decimate a z/28's lap times equally tire shod.

I wonder if the new 5.2-5.5(?) will respond to head, cams, and headers well enough to put an honest 550whp down? Would be one hell of a fun track car with those mods and 4.56 rear through a 7spd tremec 9007 dct.

The 9007 is designed for "a wide array of modern performance machines" and has a 662lbs ft torque rating, as well as a virtually dry dual wet clutch setup and accepts a 10,000rpm input speed...

82-8500rpm 5.2-5.5 making 550 crank hp? Would be a phenomenal American engineered motor. If any American mill were to be built as such, I'd definitely say a mod motor dohc is a great starting point.

Also, the official name of the 2007-14 mustang Shelby gt500 cobra is long and all encompassing, but clearly states cobra.

And who the hell would be questioning that the 07-14's are cobras? You'd have to be blind to miss all of the cobra logo's... Like seriously beyond blind, just no.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
^I was gonna bring up how I remember back in 2007 when it came out that the magazines were emphasizing the ridiculousness of the "2007 Ford SVT Shelby Cobra GT500", but it was clear that was the name of the car which of course eventually just shortened to Shelby GT500 to make things easier to say. Doubting its SVT Cobra platform is absurd though. The car is built by SVT as their Cobra but for advertising purposes they call it a Shelby. That doesn't make it any less a Cobra.

TurboBird

Boost Junkie
Established Member
^I was gonna bring up how I remember back in 2007 when it came out that the magazines were emphasizing the ridiculousness of the "2007 Ford SVT Shelby Cobra GT500", but it was clear that was the name of the car which of course eventually just shortened to Shelby GT500 to make things easier to say. Doubting its SVT Cobra platform is absurd though. The car is built by SVT as their Cobra but for advertising purposes they call it a Shelby. That doesn't make it any less a Cobra.

Maybe, but ask anyone who isnt a full on mustang nerd, its a shelby. You say you own a cobra and they tilt their head a bit. You mean like those 90's ones?

Hopeless, maybe i have been gone too long but everyone knows them as shelbys. I found it sad they put his name along the car when it should have been called cobra all along. But thats JMO

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Maybe, but ask anyone who isnt a full on mustang nerd, its a shelby. You say you own a cobra and they tilt their head a bit. You mean like those 90's ones?

Hopeless, maybe i have been gone too long but everyone knows them as shelbys. I found it sad they put his name along the car when it should have been called cobra all along. But thats JMO

Doesn't really matter to me to be honest. I still know it's a Cobra so I see it as one of those little facts you'll hear about 30 years from now when they are doing some piece on 2007-2013 GT500s and say "Little known fact..."

If someone doesn't know that it's made by SVT and is a Cobra then they probably don't know the horespower of each year or changes made throughout each model year. It is what it is.

TurboBird

Boost Junkie
Established Member
LOL it a peeve of mine, i have a custom licence plate that i carry from car to car. It has SVT in it and Its REALLY annoying to have someone go "Thats a shelby not a svt" about 6 times a day. Given up and the plate will be retired from now on.

Ford in aus/nz has FPV which is the same thing as SVT. Ford performance vehicles are badged with a FPV oval which covered all the ford emblem on all their cars. Makes them seem much more upmarket. As well makes the cars look cleaner due to less badging (but there is still too many)

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I actually took the ford oval off of my car on the trunk and put the svt badge in it's place haha.

Pretty cool that fpv completely switches it's badge in place of the blue oval.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Ehh im not so sure about that, we know that the design for this car was finished in December and that the reveal should be in NY next month.

This section may be named "2016" but there have been numerous sources that have said this will be a 2015 model, we will find out in April.

There's a whole bunch of wrong coming from that 6G site right now, but you'll learn that shortly.

Well, where is it? ;-)

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
The whole point in bumping this was to prove how incorrect the people at 6G that were certain the new car would be at New York were.

Stable68

Established Member
No 2015 SVT model huh? Might want to check the order guides recently made available to dealers. That P8J code sure seems interesting to me.

GTMamba

Established Member
Actually the admin there said "I would not bet on it" when asked if it would show in NY, so I'm not sure who you are referring to. Regular members? Who cares?

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php/2015-mustang-gt350-1393.html?p=34731

And given the order banks showing a 2015 SVT, I would think some humble pie may be in order for some people here. Just saying, if you are gonna to be jackasses about it, you deserve to have it rubbed in your faces.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Actually the admin there said "I would not bet on it" when asked if it would show in NY, so I'm not sure who you are referring to.

The person I quoted, who was getting his information there.

And given the order banks showing a 2015 SVT, I would think some humble pie may be in order for some people here. Just saying, if you are gonna to be jackasses about it, you deserve to have it rubbed in your faces.

I still don't understand why this is even an argument. Model year designations don't mean anything, so I don't know why there are "camps" arguing about it.

GTMamba

Established Member
Funny because the camps seem to have been formed in this very thread, by yourself and others. I don't see anyone on 6G talking about who is right or wrong.

And if model year designations meant nothing, why did anyone bring it up? Calling it a "2016 SVT Cobra" seems every bit relevant to model year. If it doesn't, then what does it pertain to?

Seems like a whole lot of back tracking to me. I could care less, except people tend to act like jackasses when they are overly confident.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Funny because the camps seem to have been formed in this very thread, by yourself and others. I don't see anyone on 6G talking about who is right or wrong.

A guy said it was way too early to have 16 mules out. I said it's not remotely too early, which it's not, because there are already cars that will be designated MY17 being driven around. Anything else you read into that response is confirmation bias.

And if model year designations meant nothing, why did anyone bring it up? Calling it a "2016 SVT Cobra" seems every bit relevant to model year. If it doesn't, then what does it pertain to?

I think everyone understands that the model year indicates the model year. Arguing about what year it's going to be means nothing because you could call it 14.5/15/16 and it's still gonna be the same car.

Seems like a whole lot of back tracking to me.

See end of first response.

Stable68

Established Member
Actually the admin there said "I would not bet on it" when asked if it would show in NY, so I'm not sure who you are referring to. Regular members? Who cares?.

The admin there did say that it would likely be shown in NY, but a few weeks before the show he took that statement back.

Keep in mind, DBK is the man, he knows what hes talking about. It may be a 15 model year but i bet we dont see it until late in the run. All that really matters is that we get an awesome supercar killer, and im sure we will.

03svtwantob

Established Member
20140606_155549.jpg
The 2015 mustang at the carlisle ford nationals. Of coarse they arent disclosing much info. I dont think there is going to be an svt this year, however they did say that there will be 1964 50th aniversary editions produced. 1 of which will be a convertable thats getting raffled off. Blame poor pics on android sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread