Any Injuries While Working On Your Car?

Klay

Established Member
I was jacking up my mustang so I could change the oil. When i put the jackstand under the rear of the car, I started to remove the jack. Apparently, the jack stand was slightly off center and it flew out as the car went down. My shoulder was still under the car and the wheel well hit my shoulder on the way down. At first, my shoulder was numb and I thought i broke it or something. After I started to move it around, it hurt but overall I was ok. I never went to the doctor but I'm guessing I tore something because it hurt to move it for a while. Definitely scared me though.

NastyNate420

Established Member
I have the normal knuckle cuts and bruises.
Also when I was welding in my torque arm i was wearing cotton thermals like a dumbass. (thought I should changed but figured it was only a few tabs) Sure enough first weld caught my arm on fire !
Also when I had the car up on jack stands I lower one side to the ground and the rear sway bar must of hit the lever on the jack stand when it was at the extreme angle and the fuugger dropped all the way down. Didnt get hurt but could have been nasty!

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
Some stitches here and there....but one time I lifted completely off the skin/folded back all 3 middle fingers on my left hand. I about passed out. Crazy three damn finger nails hurt worse than any other injuries I can think of. Took 7-8 months to get them back.

Watched a buddy with a breaker bar punch the inner fender/frame breaking a bolt lose and broke his pinky and ring finger on his right hand.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Didn't get hurt but could've been really bad. I was under a mustang swapping the transmission and my wife backed into the ****ing car with her escape.
Holy crap
My bro n law died :/
Year ago here in a few weeks..

Be careful is all I can say.
I know svtp is full of martial art master body builders, but Kendal was 6'10 345 pounds solid. Like undertaker in his youth solid.

Simple light bulb change and jack slippes.. Lights out forever

Sorry Bud. I remember one of our members (Purdue Ranger) died a few years back when his car fell on him.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
If you cant handle a little blood. You should never ever work on your car.

4a7191a

Established Member
Plow truck up on a four point lift. Pin holding one of the arms in place sheared off, arm flung out, truck fell off. Had about two seconds to react. Pelvis broken in four places, right femur broken, compound left ankle fracture. My buddy, fractured skull, broken jaw, broken collar bone.
Damn lucky to be alive..

Holy hell you and your buddy are dammed lucky.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
and posts in this thread is why I always take forever to get the car situated on stands, always afraid its somehow gonna fall

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Hurrying around a truck on the hoist to answer the phone, and ran into the hitch. Not sure what knocked me out, the hitch or banging my head on the floor. Only 15 stitches, five in front, 10 behind.

Adower

Established Member
Not much besides busted knuckles from trying to loosen tightened bolts. Now I wear a set of thick gloves whenever I am trying to get a bolt loose and anything is in close proximity that my knuckles will get busted on.

mnewxcv

Established Member
Not much besides busted knuckles from trying to loosen tightened bolts. Now I wear a set of thick gloves whenever I am trying to get a bolt loose and anything is in close proximity that my knuckles will get busted on.

worth quoting. it's always a good idea to wear gloves when not doing delicate work. the difference between busting knuckles and breaking fingers isnt much.

Gravik

Established Member
Almost got a hernia helping tighten the pitman arm on my friend's 6.4. Lol kidding.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
When I worked at a dealer I was doing an alinement on a Escape. When I was losening the rear toe link the wrench slipped on the jam nut and hit me right in the eye. Luckily it was just bruised and I got a black eye out of it and some swelling no permanent damage.

mnewxcv

Established Member
Some guy posted a pic on here of his finger geting ringed by his supercharger!

I remember that. he didnt know how to upload pics so I offered. Still have the pics too, I will post one that isnt too graphic:

IMAG0281.gif

ViciousJay

Established Member
broke my thumb while putting cat deletes on 3 days before my wedding to my ex wife. She got in a tif with my my mom on the phone and came out and kicked me under the car and my thumb went between the K member and a breaker bar. I guess theres a reason why she's my ex LOL

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Just the standard cuts and bruises on my hands. Had a few close calls but nothing that really sticks in my memory. One recent was running a grinder with wire wheel full tilt on something, and I was having to do it one handed while holding something and laying on my side, I had bumped it and the wheel caught a bit, so I knew it was a good idea to go put on my big thick leather welding gloves. Sure enough, the wheel caught and went straight up my arm, scuffed the leather pretty good but I was fine.

I'm always super paranoid about jacking up a vehicle and jack-standing the shit out of it.

That's what I get for growing up in a farm and big truck family. Been working on equipment as long as I can remember.

Users who are viewing this thread