Any Injuries While Working On Your Car?

zpstang96

Established Member
Did a quick search and couldn't find anything but please delete if there's already a thread like this.

What's the worst injury you've gotten while working on your car? So far I've only managed to hurt the fingers a bit after an old bolt finally loosens and I end up punching something hard :kaboom: happens almost every time I do something involved with the car.

PS: We all know **** happens sometimes, so I'd prefer if we could refrain from bashing someone whether or not their injury is dumb/funny, etc. Let's hear 'em!

EB85

Established Member
Walked into lift posts, hot oil down the hands, arms and shirt, saw a guy cut his arm pretty badly on a heat shield to the point I followed his blood trail to the bathroom. One guy scrambled his brain a little after slipping and falling on ice. I had an inflated tire bounce back and dislocate my finger when I flinched to avoid it.

Richter888

Established Member
Dropped a starter on my pinky while replacing it when I was 16. It was on my cavalier and I was dropping it out, but I had my arm extended and I couldn't control the weight. Dropped right on it and glhad to get 6 stitches.

99-venom

Established Member
When I was 13 my dad was building a dirt track car for my brother. Unknown to me, he had just welded up a piece of the roll cage when I came out to talk with him. Dumb ass me didn't put two and two together and a grabbed ahold of that weld... Holy hell that was a horrible burn.

Said brother had a 65 mustang pin his head to the concrete one day when he was wrenching on the axle housing. The lucky SOB placed the wheels under the axle and that was what kept the car from crushing him. Walked away with nothing but stitches.

el jefe 302

Making all kinds of gainz
Established Member
So many years ago when I was working as a fabricator I was holding up exhaust so it can be tacked (MIG)

The lift is not all the way up so I had to tilt my head, welp a red hot BB went into my ear and burned my drum, clear liquid poured out of my ear for a week. Muffled noise for about six months, pressure issues, popping etc. Saw the doc a year later and everything looked fine. I still get popping every once in a great while. But my hearing is great.

It was a different kinda pain, never felt anything like it before or since and I've experienced alot of physical pain, because i'm a big dummy :p

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
worst thing I can think of was I holding with one hand some stuff stuck together with 3m double sided body tape and separating it with a razor blade. The whole thing turned in my hand and the razor blade went up under the skin on my hand between my thumb and pointer finger. It made a nice little pocket as it went up under which beats it going down that deep. Glued that shut and thankfully wasnt too bad

1QWK96GT

Thats what she said
Established Member
I was dumb enough to use a 1/2" chrome swivel on a 1/2" impact gun and the swivel snapped and spun around with alot of speed and smashed my hand I was pretty sure I broke my hand. I dont use 1/2" chrome swivels with 1/2" impact guns anymore.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Was working on getting the jack in place, holding the handle with one hand and maneuvering it with the other. Handle slipped and cracked me dead between the eyes. Nice bit of blood and a headache.

oldmodman

Established Member
Does "almost" losing a leg count?

I was working on a rear axle problem on a Ford E-300 van and like an idiot I didn't bother putting jack stands under it. It was only supported bu a big 12 ton garage jack.

I had just finished and had gotten my leg out from under it when a neighbor's kid (that I never even notice as being around) turned the valve and dropped the van.

Missed my thigh by less than an inch. The sharp rear brake mounting flange would have cut right through my thigh.

That's the closest I aver came to a serious injury. Now I won't get under anything without putting stands under it first. I even have some 4X4 wood posts that I put inside my BendPak lift posts just in case a cable or lock fails.

zpstang96

Established Member
Walked into lift posts, hot oil down the hands, arms and shirt, saw a guy cut his arm pretty badly on a heat shield to the point I followed his blood trail to the bathroom. One guy scrambled his brain a little after slipping and falling on ice. I had an inflated tire bounce back and dislocate my finger when I flinched to avoid it.

I've also walked into lift posts before...more than I'd like to admit.

CSG

Established Member
Changed water pump under a big oak tree, heard that unmistakable cracking sound and had a 10" diameter limb land on my back. Scared me bad but ended up being ok overall.

ESVEETEE

Established Member
Didn't get hurt but could've been really bad. I was under a mustang swapping the transmission and my wife backed into the ****ing car with her escape.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Smashing knuckles when it's 20* outside and dropping a flywheel on my face once are about the worst I've experienced. I've learned from experience that when I'm trying to break free a stuck bolt and something very solid (I.e. - the ground) are in the direct path of the breaker bar/ratchet/wrench to stop and put on thick gloves before continuing.

Last edited:

4a7191a

Established Member
My bro n law died :/
Year ago here in a few weeks..

Be careful is all I can say.
I know svtp is full of martial art master body builders, but Kendal was 6'10 345 pounds solid. Like undertaker in his youth solid.

Simple light bulb change and jack slippes.. Lights out forever

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
My bro n law died :/
Year ago here in a few weeks..

Be careful is all I can say.
I know svtp is full of martial art master body builders, but Kendal was 6'10 345 pounds solid. Like undertaker in his youth solid.

Simple light bulb change and jack slippes.. Lights out forever

Sorry to hear, that's horrible. I've seen too many close calls in person and online from not properly securing a car on jack stands, I'll never slide under one that isn't.

Draiter

Established Member
Plow truck up on a four point lift. Pin holding one of the arms in place sheared off, arm flung out, truck fell off. Had about two seconds to react. Pelvis broken in four places, right femur broken, compound left ankle fracture. My buddy, fractured skull, broken jaw, broken collar bone.
Damn lucky to be alive..

Last edited:

4a7191a

Established Member
Sorry to hear, that's horrible. I've seen too many close calls in person and online from not properly securing a car on jack stands, I'll never slide under one that isn't.

Thanks and yeah he knew better. He was a mechanic for cat, worked on huge equipment all the time. So I guess he figured it was nothing.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I'm just going to say that every time I touch my car I give it blood.. Every freaking time..

Users who are viewing this thread