Any issues with LFP Intercooler Reservior

beerformeplz

Kenne Bell Mach 1
Established Member
I purchased one about a year ago and the ring around the cap has corroded so bad. I called them today and they said they havent had any complaints at all about this and then proceded to charge me $10 for a new one plus $8 shipping.:fm:

beerformeplz

Kenne Bell Mach 1
Established Member
Sorry about the bad pic but you get the idea. Im sure if mines this bad others must have issues also.

desktop.gif

AaronK

Established Member
Three of my friends had the EXACT same problem with the caps corroding.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
EVERY one I have seen has done this! And the replacement one is going to do the SAME THING!

The reason that it does this is because of the two dissimilar metals reacting with one another. Throw in water and you just speed the corroding process up! This ring was designed to be used with plastic fuel cells and gasoline. It was never designed to be bolted to an aluminum tank and used with water.

The only way around it is to have it coated.

I ended up having my whole box done in "Black Wrinkle" powder coat to match the Whipple and the ring done in "Silver Metallic" powder coat. I also replaced all the CHEAP nuts and bolts with all stainless steel hardware and new rubber washers.

Here's how it came out.

241664.jpg

241667.jpg

AaronK

Established Member
EVERY one I have seen has done this! And the replacement one is going to do the SAME THING!

The reason that it does this is because of the two dissimilar metals reacting with one another. Throw in water and you just speed the corroding process up! This ring was designed to be used with plastic fuel cells and gasoline. It was never designed to be bolted to an aluminum tank and used with water.

I ended up having my whole box done in "Black Wrinkle" powder coat to match the Whipple and the ring done in "Silver Metallic" powder coat. I also replaced all the CHEAP nuts and bolts with all stainless steel hardware and new rubber washers.

Here's how it came out.

241664.jpg

241667.jpg

:rockon: Nice!

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
yep, as 04 sleeper said.

or, you could just order a TF box. our entire caps is made of plastic so there is NO corrosion on them.

lol at this has never happened before. hell, it started happening to my pfab tank and i live in CA!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

Here's how it came out.

241664.jpg

241667.jpg

Wow, that really came out nice! :rockon: So nice that maybe that is how they should have looked to begin with. Nice that you actually enhanced/improved the overall design. Good work! :beer:

beerformeplz

Kenne Bell Mach 1
Established Member
yep, as 04 sleeper said.

or, you could just order a TF box. our entire caps is made of plastic so there is NO corrosion on them.

lol at this has never happened before. hell, it started happening to my pfab tank and i live in CA!

I saw your thread on them Id consider a black powdercoated one with the mach 1 logo on it if possible.

Tractionless1

Established Member
They are full of it, all of them corrode as they were intended for fuel. Get the new one powdercoated for $15. That took care of the problem for me.

'04 Sleeper

Drive your damn car already!!!!

Last edited:

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
yep, as 04 sleeper said.

Great Job Steve! :thumbsup: Your box is the best one out there for sure!

:rockon: Nice!
Thanks.

Wow, that really came out nice! :rockon: So nice that maybe that is how they should have looked to begin with. Nice that you actually enhanced/improved the overall design. Good work! :beer:
Thanks Bob. I think that this was the only way to keep this from happening without being plastic like Steve's cap. Plus it only cost me $40 from the powder coaters!

i had mine pc'd too. if something happens to my lfp one, i'll take the $18 and put it towards a TF box.

They are full of it, all of them corrode as they were intended for fuel. Get the new one powdercoated for $15. That took care of the problem for me.
'04 Sleeper
Drive your damn car already!!!!
I do normally drive my car every week, but my fractured Tibia and Torn ACL have been keeping my from being able to push in any clutch. :(

M240Bravo

Established Member
yep, as 04 sleeper said.

Do you have a link to your tank?

04SolidSnake

Canadian Snake
Established Member
I've had mine on there for just over a year, and it isn't showing any signs of corroding? Maybe they changed the ring material?? I dunno, but mine looks the same as the day it came in the mail.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I've had mine on there for just over a year, and it isn't showing any signs of corroding? Maybe they changed the ring material?? I dunno, but mine looks the same as the day it came in the mail.
Mine was the same for a few years as well. Just keep a close eye on it because it WILL start to corrode! They did not change anything in the materials in the ring. They still buy regular fuel cell caps made from galvanized steel. You might not see it visually yet, but the process has already started.

Users who are viewing this thread