Anybody regret selling their first car?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
**** no. Lol

1995 3.4L v6 camaro.

I've always basically upgraded. The only car I miss is my 02 Z06. Had a H/C/I/n2o setup with full bolt-ons and many other upgrades. I miss driving it. Loved driving it with the cam.

It's nice knowing my stock ZR1 is just as fast stock. Lol. And I plan on doing a cam setup with this one too to get that feeling back.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
I regret getting rid of my 03 GT mainly because it put me on a whirlwind of modding my jeep, and then buying other car's to replace the fun factor of driving a mustang all the time. Since the GT left, I've had an integra, Cobra, BMW and WRX, so had I kept the GT and just had fun with it, I could have saved myself a TON of money. Especially since it was paid off.

ssssnake

Established Member
Nope. My first car was a 1964 Rambler Classic 660. We left it at the apartment complex we lived in.

Now, I do miss my 1972 Mach 1, 429 Cobra Jet. Not original, but a whole lot of fun. I wonder what it's doing now....

GeorgiaSnake

Established Member
Hey Nitemare that 65 Fairlane could be a nice car. Only thing is the 65 is a one year only body style and some of the parts can be really hard to come by. Guess you know that.

The Snake

billsigf1_zps0d79b1a4.jpg

Last edited:

HandBanana

Established Member
I cried when my Stealth RT TT got loaded up on the trailer and shipped out to Cali. That was my dream car during my teen years and I searched for over a year to find it. Ended up making $5k on it so I couldn't complain. I still miss that car but would've still sold it today.

The car I regret letting go of the most was my 05 STi. I LOVED that car. I poured my heart and soul into that thing and did all of the mods myself, sometimes to my detriment. If I could do it again, I would've kept it and spent some of my mod money on a beater to keep the miles off the Subie.

Now that I finally have a Cobra, I don't envision ever selling this thing. I want it to sit next to a Viper in my garage one day.

raustin0017

Established Member
OP...find a way to keep your baby! If you sell her...you will always regret it. You can always find another one but, it wont be the same.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Not my first car. It was a 74 Mustang II. Didnt mind seeing it go at all.

My second car, 94 Tbird 4.6, didnt mind seeing that one go either, big fat POS of a car. Only got it because at the time my parents wouldnt let me get a 4.6 mustang, so i had to settle on the "next best thing". Shouldve tried to push for a fox 5.0.

My third car I definitely regret selling. 98 Eclipse Spyder GST. Had 48k when I bought it from a BMW dealership who had it listed for less than a standard non-turbo coupe, so I swooped it up. Paid $7500 for it when it was worth an easy $13k at the time. Broke alot of hearts (evo16g, ecmlink, fuel & support mods, maybe $3k invested) and only broke once (alternator). Sold it because at the time everyone was getting out of dsm's and moving to other platforms, sold it with 66k on it for $9500, parted out the mods for $2k. Worst move ever, that car was almost perfect, and the next owner riced it/donked it out.

HandBanana

Established Member
My third car I definitely regret selling. 98 Eclipse Spyder GST. Had 48k when I bought it from a BMW dealership who had it listed for less than a standard non-turbo coupe, so I swooped it up. Paid $7500 for it when it was worth an easy $13k at the time. Broke alot of hearts (evo16g, ecmlink, fuel & support mods, maybe $3k invested) and only broke once (alternator). Sold it because at the time everyone was getting out of dsm's and moving to other platforms, sold it with 66k on it for $9500, parted out the mods for $2k. Worst move ever, that car was almost perfect, and the next owner riced it/donked it out.

I have been and always will be a DSM fan but I have yet to own one. Closest I came was a couple of 3/S RT TTs and VR-4s. Those cars seem like they are hit or miss. Some of them have minimal mods like your's did and run like champs and pull hard and others seem to get full builds, big turbos and get spanked by bolt-on Evos, STis, SRTs and such. I've never encountered a car that is more emotional than a DSM, they seem to rely on a strong owner connection to right correctly.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
I say pass on the deal and keep it over the winter. Unless your in a situation where you really need the cash, why sell if you aren't 100% sure your ready to let it go?

Blk04Snake

Established Member
My first 'car' was a 1979 Jeep CJ-7. Actually got it a couple months before turning 16 then started driving it once I got my license. During the few months that I had it I discovered it was a complete Bondo bucket and Fred Flintstone mobile so I sold it the following July and got a 1985 CJ-7 that was in much better shape. I still own that to this day and hope to have it restored to its former glory in the next year or so. So no, I don't regret selling the bondo buggy. I actually don't regret selling any vehicle I've ever gotten rid of.. When it's time, it goes bye bye, and if it's something special like the Jeep, then I keep it. Still on the fence with the Cobra.. For the right price I'd probably let that go and upgrade to something else in the future.

RX1Cobra

Established Member
Wouldn't know, first car I ever bought was my 01 Cobra. Bought it new in October of 01 and still own it. Hopefully I'll never need to sell it.
Edit: I did sell my first motorcycle and snowmobile though and have zero regret about those sales.

Last edited:

Gravik

Established Member
First car was an '82 Volvo 240 station wagon. That car took one hell of a beating. I ragged on it more than I do the Mustang lol.

Don't regret selling it though, since my dad still has two 240 wagons.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I have been and always will be a DSM fan but I have yet to own one. Closest I came was a couple of 3/S RT TTs and VR-4s. Those cars seem like they are hit or miss. Some of them have minimal mods like your's did and run like champs and pull hard and others seem to get full builds, big turbos and get spanked by bolt-on Evos, STis, SRTs and such. I've never encountered a car that is more emotional than a DSM, they seem to rely on a strong owner connection to right correctly.

Its all in the person doing the modding.

Alot of people buy them, put $5k into mods, never get it running to its potential, lose to cars the shouldnt, blame it on the car itself, never do preventitive maintenance, break down, blame it on the car itself, part out the mods, sell the car, repeat.

Or the guys that spend $5k on a mod list + built motor, do three passes without dialing it in and not being satisfied, part out and repeat the next year.

The Evo is a powerful bolt-on machine though. Theres alot to be said about the technology in cars like the STI/SRT/Evo that wasnt around in 1990 when the dsm was created. The stock ecu's of those cars have way better capabilities of making power , keeping knock away, etc than the ecu used in the dsm. Better flowing intakes, exhausts, heads, etc. all play a major role.

But they are tempermental. Some days they will seem to pull strong, other days it feels like you have a gaping boost leak and have half the power. Though I daily drove both my Spyders and didnt have much issues that wasnt my fault.

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
I wouldn't sell it, you seem fairly unsure. I bought my mustang when I was 18 (almost 10 years ago) and still have it. I'll probably never sell it. The enjoyment I get from it is greater than the money I'd get out of it.

trxcobra

Established Member
I say pass on the deal and keep it over the winter. Unless your in a situation where you really need the cash, why sell if you aren't 100% sure your ready to let it go?

I think this Might be the route I go. I told the buyer that I need some more time to think but I may hold onto it. At my young age it's obviously not the wisest decision to have two sports cars but I am doing pretty well and will get by. If I ever get into a bind for money, then I will really know what to do.

For now, I will spoil myself and hang onto the cobra. Thanks guys

Mike L.

Established Member
My first car was a '61 Ford Starliner 390 ci tri power four speed. 401 hp. I loved the car and wish I had it back. Had to sell it as I got married at 18 and needed the money. Don't regret selling it but wish I had it back.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
Mine was an 84 Mustang LX

Converted it to a 5 speed and to a carbureted car! Full bolt on's and GT40 P heads

My dad talked me into selling it after I blew a cylinder. I still miss that car :whine:. I would probably still own it if my dad would have kept his mouth shut :nonono:. LOVED that car.

JMoraru

Established Member
Not my first, but I got rid of the mustang I built up and did everything to. Well, I traded it for a 98 Viper GTS. Long story short, regretted it so hard I bought the car back..too bad that wasn't before he destroyed one of my super rare shelby forged wheels. Cant find another set. Still not sure if they can be remade, but hopefully I get them back. Still miss those lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread