Anyone else frustrated with Ford over the next GT500?

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
The zl1 1le is a very factory built car, and it’s awesome. The demon is also very factory built and awesome.

Hey ford, factory build the car to the hilt in at least one configuration such as a gt500 KR that can run 10’s with a stick and really handle a circuit. That’s enough magic to settle all discussions.

With a 100tw tire, and good gearing, 750hp and 3900lbs is 10 second territory. We’ve seen this for 25 years. ~650-700whp in 3600-3900lbs and a decent drive hits 10’s on an r888 around 135-140. Consider that this car will likely get some nice tech to help it set the launch, while those project cars I’m talking about were rarely even running wotbox’s.

Anyways, Ford can bring it in but I don’t think they are comfortable going full tilt. Dodge and Chevy have shown they need to to outpace and over achieve. It makes sense that Ford might have hit the boards again and gone for a moon shoot in this heightened competition era. That or they just said why bother and aren’t going to end up building the car

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Ford needs to make variants.

1.) 1/4 mile machine. Sub 9 seconds consistently.
2.) 1/2-1 mile top speed machine, 245mph+
3.) Road course beast, break all the stateside track records, and conquer the Ring
4.) 4x4 variant to take in the dunes and win the Baja 1000
5.) Ultra light, maximum downforce car that can actually drive upside down.

Anything less than the above, it's a complete failure.

No it doesn’t. Ford needs to make me a sandwich and get me a whiskey on ice for holding up this production for so long or I’m so gone.

10’s with a stick
Quick around tracks
30/60/45 mpg
Seat 12
<$45k

Well 2 of those matter.

Voltwings

Established Member
There is no tire and suspension setup that will deliver the best 1/4 times and the best road course times, they want literally polar opposite things...

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
There is no tire and suspension setup that will deliver the best 1/4 times and the best road course times, they want literally polar opposite things...

Exactly. That's why they need several different variants.

GT500A
GT500B
GT500C
GT500D
GT500E

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
You can have a suspension that does both well but obviously not optimized. I had a 1.72 60’ in my ZL1 on Factory tires last week and if you believe YouTube runs similar lap times to the GT350R.

If you are looking for a Demon at the strip and a 350R at the track, then I agree you will be disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Ford needs to make variants.

1.) 1/4 mile machine. Sub 9 seconds consistently.
2.) 1/2-1 mile top speed machine, 245mph+
3.) Road course beast, break all the stateside track records, and conquer the Ring
4.) 4x4 variant to take in the dunes and win the Baja 1000
5.) Ultra light, maximum downforce car that can actually drive upside down.

Anything less than the above, it's a complete failure.

I'm in.

Exactly. That's why they need several different variants.

GT500A
GT500B
GT500C
GT500D
GT500E

GT500A (Area 27 setup)
GT500B (Bathurst setup V8 supercar ftw)
GT500C (Circuit of the Americas setup)
GT500D (Drag setup)
GT500E (Endurance racing setup, for like 24 hours of Le Mans)

Seems easy.

conceptmachine

Established Member
If ford can build a track pack option, they sure can build a drag pack option as well, but they wont. Not 5 options, just 2. Sounds easy enough, and I'm not asking for ZL1-L1E track times or demon drag times. It would be nice to have a low 10's+ drag pack and a 7.18+ Ring Track Pack. We don't need to be the best at all, but lets get closER at each option.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
The zl1 1le is a very factory built car, and it’s awesome. The demon is also very factory built and awesome.

Hey ford, factory build the car to the hilt in at least one configuration such as a gt500 KR that can run 10’s with a stick and really handle a circuit. That’s enough magic to settle all discussions.

With a 100tw tire, and good gearing, 750hp and 3900lbs is 10 second territory. We’ve seen this for 25 years. ~650-700whp in 3600-3900lbs and a decent drive hits 10’s on an r888 around 135-140. Consider that this car will likely get some nice tech to help it set the launch, while those project cars I’m talking about were rarely even running wotbox’s.

Anyways, Ford can bring it in but I don’t think they are comfortable going full tilt. Dodge and Chevy have shown they need to to outpace and over achieve. It makes sense that Ford might have hit the boards again and gone for a moon shoot in this heightened competition era. That or they just said why bother and aren’t going to end up building the car

Normally I would reply to your message with more clarification but the message I posted before you critiqued it stands on its own nicely.

-never said one tire is going to deliver the best in 2 places.
-I said a great tire like an r888 has already proven itself to hook 3600-3900lbs 650-700whp manual street cars and run high 10’s with a great driver.

High 10’s isn’t a best quarter mile performance. Stock c6 z06’s have gone high 10’s in perfect circumstances.

I emphasized track performance. To put it into context of best as you asserted,

I’d like to say that a tire like the r888 or some nice 100tw tires is a good enough tire for 30-40% of “best” drag strip performance, about a 1.65-1.80 60ft time vs say a 1.35 for a slick and about 80% of “best” circuit performance of something like an r compound slick

Last edited:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I was not happy... looking for another dealer to sure up an order with so I can tell the first one to f off for wasting my time. But I'm in a small market so. ..

Yeah... Unfortunately I'd say you're at least 30% at fault for listening to that shit, when so many people on here told you it was bogus.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Yeah... Unfortunately I'd say you're at least 30% at fault for listening to that shit, when so many people on here told you it was bogus.

I can't blame people for intuitively believing they should listen to dealers. The buildings wear the Ford logo on the front. But unfortunately a great many dealers do a massive disservice to the company with their comprehensive stupidity; and this applies to virtually all brands.

Plenty of dealers don't give a **** what they sell, the franchise is a means to an end, and that has increased with the proliferation of the mega-group.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I can't blame people for intuitively believing they should listen to dealers. The buildings wear the Ford logo on the front. But unfortunately a great many dealers do a massive disservice to the company with their comprehensive stupidity; and this applies to virtually all brands.

Plenty of dealers don't give a **** what they sell, the franchise is a means to an end, and that has increased with the proliferation of the mega-group.

I agree to a point.

I think all states should require some type of 'sales license'. People should be able to believe what a salesperson tells them, as an extension of the dealership, as an extension of the manufacturer, etc. The issue is that some salesman can't even remember to put a belt on in the morning, let alone be up to date on product knowledge and product releases.

DepWraith

Established Member
Extension of the manufacturer? Believe a dealer that says the manufacturers price isn't high enough for the dealer to make a fair profit? I'll never believe a dealer, especially those that charge over MSRP...they are quickly taking over the butt of jokes from lawyers.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Extension of the manufacturer? Believe a dealer that says the manufacturers price isn't high enough for the dealer to make a fair profit? I'll never believe a dealer, especially those that charge over MSRP...they are quickly taking over the butt of jokes from lawyers.

How much would you say a fair profit is for a Ford Fiesta?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
What are you driving in the meantime to scratch the itch?

Starts up at the flick of the key. Has sat untouched for about 14 years.

__1990%20LX%20HO%20coupe.jpg

Right after I sold the GT350 I moved a few things around in my shop. I started it up here and let it run for a bit as it has sat in a corner for a long, long time. Description under the video on the YouTube page.:)

Do you wish you kept the 350?

Let me put it this way - I really liked that car. I really liked the GT500 I had before that too. It hasn't been easy for me but I'm trying to learn how to let things go. I could easily have held onto the GT350 until the day I died. I made the move because I needed to be in a position to purchase a GT500. My wife's brake caliper stud company will use it to develop a stud kit for it and I really don't need a GT500 and a GT350, hence the move. Thankfully, I found the perfect gentleman to take the GT350 further than I did.:)

Users who are viewing this thread