Anyone else frustrated with Ford over the next GT500?

DepWraith

Established Member
How much would you say a fair profit is for a Ford Fiesta?

Whatever FORD says. The MSRP isn't just for consumers, but as a guideline for dealers and a reasonable profit for that particular vehicle is considered and is built into every MSRP by the manufacturer. If you aren't happy with what your dealer product selection, then look at higher end vehicles which have a higher selling point. Lower priced vehicles have lower profit margins and higher priced vehicles have higher profit margins. There is ZERO reason other than greed for a dealer to mark a vehicle up over MSRP. That's exactly why Dodge said they would build the MSRP vehicles before the orders with ADM...because they understand the customer is getting ripped off and it's a way to discourage dealers from charging mark ups they feel are unfair.

We all know it's just like a movie theater, the ticket seems like the main purchase, but all the profits come from the add ons (candy, popcorn, drinks...much like financing, extended warranties, protection packages, etc)

68fastback

Need DOHC Alloy Big Block
Established Member
I think that's what has to be ...2 versions/packs. And Magnaride is the magic that can enable both great launches and track management.

Ford invented the shaker rig for the original FGT -- programmed with the characteristics of Le Mans and several other tracks. It was near rocket-science at the time even figuring out how to record (high-speed multi track tape) the fire-hose of sensor-based track data. Now every major NASCAR team has one and every manufacturer uses one to shake out handling characteristics long before a prototype even sees a track.

Integrating engine/drivetrain with real-time suspension management is now where it's at -- integrating active aero is starting to happen (e.g. current FGT and the new mid-engine 'vette) but will also soon be based on real-time airflow and chassis dynamics data. The emerging technologies are amazing and can't be too long before they come down to the top-dog pony cars.

The OEMs have been very active patenting new active aero and total vehicle real-time integrated systems management ...only question is when a check box might first appear on an order form ...likely just a few years too early yet.

Snoopy49

Established Member
The dealer is put into a position where they have to push the less desirable models in order to get the higher profit more popular models. This forces the dealers to reduce the price of the less desirable cars to avoid paying the flooring charges. In other words the dealer has to have a continuous clearance sell on the slower mover models.

MSRP - Manufactures Suggested Retail Price
I am sure that if most dealers could sell every car they have at MSRP, there would be a lot of happy dealers.

Whatever FORD says. The MSRP isn't just for consumers, but as a guideline for dealers and a reasonable profit for that particular vehicle is considered and is built into every MSRP by the manufacturer. If you aren't happy with what your dealer product selection, then look at higher end vehicles which have a higher selling point. Lower priced vehicles have lower profit margins and higher priced vehicles have higher profit margins. There is ZERO reason other than greed for a dealer to mark a vehicle up over MSRP. That's exactly why Dodge said they would build the MSRP vehicles before the orders with ADM...because they understand the customer is getting ripped off and it's a way to discourage dealers from charging mark ups they feel are unfair.

We all know it's just like a movie theater, the ticket seems like the main purchase, but all the profits come from the add ons (candy, popcorn, drinks...much like financing, extended warranties, protection packages, etc)

Last edited:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

I get what you're saying, but I don't think you're pushing the same train of thought both directions.

Fiestas are not sought after, and I have NEVER seen one sell for MSRP. At full MSRP, the first day on the lot, a Fiesta profits less than $600. If you buy any of the Fiestas I have in inventory at my online price, I'm making $118, paying my salesman $150.

MSRP is a suggested price, and a place to start. Vehicles that aren't sought after, obviously are priced lower...and the ones that are in high demand, are priced higher at some dealerships.

I think it would be considered greedy if dealers had 100s sitting on their lot asking huge adms...but at the rate these cars sell, the demand covers the added adm.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Is it out yet?!!? lol
Lost interest in the new GT500 actually. I still think the 2013/2014 GT500 cars are incredibly good looking and good performing. Just a brute of a car.
Maybe once I see the new GT500 my mind will change?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Is it out yet?!!? lol
Lost interest in the new GT500 actually. I still think the 2013/2014 GT500 cars are incredibly good looking and good performing. Just a brute of a car.
Maybe once I see the new GT500 my mind will change?

It will.

C0bra99

Established Member
I get what you're saying, but I don't think you're pushing the same train of thought both directions.

Fiestas are not sought after, and I have NEVER seen one sell for MSRP. At full MSRP, the first day on the lot, a Fiesta profits less than $600. If you buy any of the Fiestas I have in inventory at my online price, I'm making $118, paying my salesman $150.

MSRP is a suggested price, and a place to start. Vehicles that aren't sought after, obviously are priced lower...and the ones that are in high demand, are priced higher at some dealerships.

I think it would be considered greedy if dealers had 100s sitting on their lot asking huge adms...but at the rate these cars sell, the demand covers the added adm.
Aren't you already making money at msrp? Most people don't have issues paying list. It's when it has a 20k markup on top of it that makes it seem greedy.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Aren't you already making money at msrp? Most people don't have issues paying list. It's when it has a 20k markup on top of it that makes it seem greedy.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
He’s talking about Fiestas. But as much as I hate ADM, I don’t blame dealers for it. If the market supports a $20k ADM by all means go for it. But when the market gets artificially inflated by dealer to dealer sales is where I have a problem.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Starts up at the flick of the key. Has sat untouched for about 14 years.

View attachment 1469588

Right after I sold the GT350 I moved a few things around in my shop. I started it up here and let it run for a bit as it has sat in a corner for a long, long time. Description under the video on the YouTube page.:)

Let me put it this way - I really liked that car. I really liked the GT500 I had before that too. It hasn't been easy for me but I'm trying to learn how to let things go. I could easily have held onto the GT350 until the day I died. I made the move because I needed to be in a position to purchase a GT500. My wife's brake caliper stud company will use it to develop a stud kit for it and I really don't need a GT500 and a GT350, hence the move. Thankfully, I found the perfect gentleman to take the GT350 further than I did.:)
That'll keep you interested until the next one!
After swapping the engine/trans/fuel/EFI from a clean '93 Cobra into a friends clean '84 GT, it's both refreshing how easy to work on but frustrating to see the inconsistency of old school OEM.
While painfully slow after being used to new school power, the light go cart feeling and raw driving experience makes a Fox with mild smart mods a great stop gap.
And "MY WIFES BRAKE CALIPER STUD COMPANY"....words I never expected to read :)
Thanks for the vid man.
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I think that's what has to be ...2 versions/packs. And Magnaride is the magic that can enable both great launches and track management.
While it's fun to make a crazy wish list for this car, reality is there will likely be one car with an optional package for track use.
The base car with simple suspension optomization for drag use is good enough for most. Just swapping tires and making some drive mode changes will probably be as far as they go to help street/strip guys.
In the leaks they showed 'drag mode' in a Ford document.
A full on 'Drag Pack' would be awesome but doubtful.
I'd gladly sign all that Demon style waivers.
The road course guys really need help cooling and aero and crazy track compound rubber so I see that as the likely 'Performance package' vs OEM drag radials.
Now a separate car like a GT500R or 500KR would be the ultimate (I'd prefer KR for the nostalgia) but that is also likely to be the easiest for Fords new management to cut.
I started this thread about 9 mos ago.
I love the 350R styling package and see huge potential in the 5.2/TVS2650/DCT combo so at this point I'm happy with ANY GT500 variant for next summer.
-J

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
Figured I had nothing to lose... It's nbd to me as I'll have an order either way. The slight glimmer of hope was worth the time spent. At least it was a nice day for a drive;) .

Yeah... Unfortunately I'd say you're at least 30% at fault for listening to that shit, when so many people on here told you it was bogus.

Snoopy49

Established Member
I have a fix for the ADM's. Ford should treat the new GT500 the same way they did the Ford GT. Sell the car at MSRP directly to the customer and require the new owner sign a binding contract preventing them from selling the car for 24 months. Require a 50% down payment before the order is accepted.
That should prevent the flippers and dealers that buy the cars for their own use and then flip it for a large personal profit.
stickpoke.gif

Last edited:

DepWraith

Established Member

You're trying to justify ADM's on higher demand vehicles due to your lower end products bringing less profit and that's not fair to the consumer.

Yes, MSRP is a suggested price...by the manufacturer that takes dealer profit and cost into consideration. Like I said, it's just greed on the dealers part and it's pushing FORD buyers away from Ford.

Let me give you and example of how it's strictly greed:

Lets say I buy the next GT500 for MSRP plus $30k markup.

I drive the car for a couple weeks and decide it's just not what I want, so I return to your dealership to trade it in.

Can you honestly say you're going to give me blue book plus $30k for it?

No you won't, we all know that.

Greed.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
While it's fun to make a crazy wish list for this car, reality is there will likely be one car with an optional package for track use.

That's more than likely what will happen. Like you said, we're all having wishful thoughts. An actual GT500R is highly unlikely. A GT500KR could happen, though. Which way they go with it is anybody's guess. The original KR was a street brawler. The last KR was supposed to be a track car. With the success and desirability of the GT350s, it would make sense for Ford to continue to ride that wave of momentum and make a KR that is a track monster.

Whatever they decide to do, if they release the GT500, they have NO CHOICE but to exceed the ZL1 at a minimum. If they offer a track package, it has to exceed the ZL1 1LE. Their reputation is riding on it.

I have a fix for the ADM's. Ford should treat the new GT500 the same way they did the Ford GT. Sell the car at MSRP directly to the customer and require the new owner sign a binding contract preventing them from selling the car for 24 months. Require a 50% down payment before the order is accepted.
That should prevent the flippers and dealers that buy the cars for their own use and then flip it for a large personal profit. View attachment 1469805

You must be forgetting the Mustang demographic. They already complain about the prices and ADMs on top dog Mustangs. Requiring a 50% down payment would make their heads explode. The internet would get hit with a tsunami of the already never ending "for that much money, I could buy a Mustang GT and put a [blower | tire | suspension] on it..." comments. I don't think they'd move much inventory, requiring that kind of a down payment on a Mustang.

bpmurr

Established Member
That should prevent the flippers and dealers that buy the cars for their own use and then flip it for a large personal profit. View attachment 1469805

50% down is crazy but I'm cool with the rest. Keep in mind though the real problem with the GT350 was bigger dealers buying up cars from smaller dealers driving prices up.

Users who are viewing this thread