Anyone else frustrated with Ford over the next GT500?

Smooth

Well Seasoned
Established Member
95575aba7fcdfcd194e83fd3f28bf452.jpg

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Ok, you just wasted your time and ours fella! Why not just look at the OFFICIAL photos FORD has posted. Nothing about what your suggesting is present.

I woke up thinking about this and realized how bad I feel about wasting your time. After a good ball scratch I went through as many development photos I could find that everyone has poured over way too many times. I noticed the pins were not where I sensed they were.

z1%20no%20pins-L.jpg

z2%20no%20pins-XL.jpg

Then it happened.

tenor.gif

Well looky here...

20181219_220547-XL.jpg

20181219_220620-XL.jpg

Screenshot_20181219-222659_Gallery-X3.jpg

Gentlemen, looks like there may be at least one version of the GT500 that utilizes some additional hardware on the hood.

Goodnight.
:)

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
Ok, you just wasted your time and ours fella! Why not just look at the OFFICIAL photos FORD has posted. Nothing about what your suggesting is present.
It isn’t wasting someone’s time when all of us are speculating. If you think it is then I have a $50,000 Honda Civic to sell you

DepWraith

Established Member
Official PHOTOS? Oh shit. The wraith will be depped in 3.....2......1.....

Kaneda, I mentioned they weren't official and got scolded for it...so for you to use those saying there aren't hood fasteners is rather amusing. ;)

As for composite being used for a hood, when aluminum is so prevalent and certainly can provide the rigidity needed to eliminate hood flex, makes no sense.

Those "hood pins" look like an overhead light reflection to me.

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
As for composite being used for a hood, when aluminum is so prevalent and certainly can provide the rigidity needed to eliminate hood flex, makes no sense.

Those "hood pins" look like an overhead light reflection to me.

As always - no.

This isn't about "prevalence" and I already spoke to the lineage with respect to this specific body component. The point about reducing flex has everything to do with pinning in a strategic location. Look again at where the pair of pins are versus a central (single), hood latch alone.

A composite hood makes perfect sense. These will undoubtedly be low volume. Composite body panels are often made into a single piece versus multiple, joined panels (or assemblies) when done in steel or aluminum. In essence, consolidation. Much simpler across the board.

Tooling costs are reduced. The tooling cost of a given composite piece can be as much as 50% to 70% less than that of steel or aluminum, depending on volume. Saves time and money, something every manufacturer strives to do.

Composite panels have superior impact strength compared to similar pieces in steel or aluminum. They are not prone to small dents and dings like their metal counterparts are either. They handle things like hail whereas steel and aluminum may not. Repairs are often simpler.

Composite panels have a very high strength to weight ratio and can be designed to be stronger than their metal counterparts. They also don't corrode.

You will see a composite hood on the upcoming GT500.

Users who are viewing this thread