Anyone else frustrated with Ford over the next GT500?

5.2Leader

Established Member
Tob, you’re a class act! I don’t know you personally, but it would be an honor! The information is top notch and very very well put! Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

conceptmachine

Established Member
I remember someone on another site, posting there was something else on the hood, this was right after the CGI, guess that is it! He also said 755 + or - 5HP. we'll see

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I remember someone on another site, posting there was something else on the hood, this was right after the CGI, guess that is it!

I went back and looked at the CGI video for the millionth time. As silly as it is it does give a bit of insight as to what we might see. A couple things I take away from it... I mentioned how important I believe it is for a front tow hook. Anyone that has had to add one to their S550 or S197 chassis (or any car for that matter) knows what a pain in the ass it is to try to get under the car to find an anchor point. It is near impossible on the latest performance offerings what with the aero and fairly low ride height. I did use the factory front hook on a 2017 SS 1LE when the battery died and the vehicle needed to be pulled up onto a flatbed and it couldn't have been easier. I touched on this earlier in this thread but I think it fair to revisit.

Some euro-spec S550's come setup with front hook hardware. The bumpers have removable plugs...
before-2-L.jpg

Pop the plug and there is a nut assembly fused to the bumper. Of note, these look to be using a steel front bumper that non-GT350's get. You can see it on the left side of the bumper here, right where the plug on the bumper would be.
dddddddCapture%20%282%29-M.jpg

The CGI video may be faint but if you look closely they show a plug in the appropriate area...
gt500-20bumper-20plug-20for-20hook-l-jpg.1487412

Some of the wrapped development cars show evidence of these in place. Look carefully and you can see the wrap torn open right where the threaded hook insert would penetrate the bumper...
Z%20GT500%20tow%20hook%20hole-X2.jpg

I'm assuming the GT500 will use an aluminum bumper beam assembly similar to that of the GT350. It is extremely light. I had mine off when I fabricated my own front tow hook. This is it...
zzz%200602171951_resized.jpg~original-X2.jpg

If Ford uses an aluminum assembly it'll be interesting to see what they come up with in terms of an anchor point. Regardless, look very closely on the morning this car gets revealed to see if Ford finally manned up or if this useful feature somehow got shitcanned.

Something else on the video I didn't notice before, the vertical aero we see at the front of each wheel opening. I haven't seen any camo cars with it in place, only the "dealer" photos show it along with the patents we found earlier in this thread. I shaded the area in that I'm referring to on one of Ford's patent sketches...
splitter1a%20with%20darkened%20aero-L.jpg

The aero piece was shown on the CGI clip but I don't think anyone caught it as the patent wasn't out yet and it happens very fast and is easy to miss. A still from the clip...
z%20aero%20from%20video-XL.jpg

I think the aero mention is important as Ford may or may not make use of the patents they recently received that we have discussed. This one looks like a go.

rwleonard

Established Member
I hope you are right about the tow hooks. The HPDE organization I usually run with will be mandating tow hooks next year. I am not sure I would be tracking if I would have had to add hooks just to try it.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I have to believe they will happen. No doubt this issue has been a roundtable discussion at Ford with the Mustang in the past few years. Somebody (or some body) keeps killing the idea. Good enough for certain export cars as some countries mandate their use. We don't. Thanks to the Camaro and a shit ton of Mustang enthusiasts that track their cars, I think the pressure exerted is finally there to overcome those who have the power to nix the idea. It is a simple inclusion and it will be rather disappointing if this car doesn't have one. The GT350 damn well should have had one. The Boss 302 as well.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Engine-wise, I also wonder if we are going back to log style, cast iron exhaust manifolds, ala the '07-'14 GT500 or will we see tubular manifolds such as are used on the GT350? Strong arguments can be made for either. I just hope that if we do see a tubular "shorty" that both sides are independent of any catalytic converters that are sure to be just downstream. The Mustang GT uses a manicat on one side and it makes it near impossible for a CARB legal, performance type replacement.

Hopefully when this is announced we get the skinny from someone in the know and not just some androgynous fruitcake with a microphone spewing generic talking points.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Hopefully when this is announced we get the skinny from someone in the know and not just some androgynous fruitcake with a microphone spewing generic talking points.

Way too accurate. But you were the one to say earlier that you didn’t expect too much at launch.

If Ford wants to continue to friend-zone GT500 fans, that’s exactly what they’ll do.

Should allow for 8-9 more months of leading the desperate along.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Ford will have to make it schnappy when the car first rolls on stage and gets introduced.

Screenshot_20181221-085229_Drive-X3.jpg

But they'll have plenty of time in their own display area to break it down. I'd hope at the very least that Ford Media provides enough in the form of photographs where we can pick up everything they fail to talk about.

The live stream will be able to be seen here...
Livestream - NAIAS

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
You mean pins?

Not clear if Ford will initially offer it or hold off on releasing a hotter version later in the year that includes them...

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
@Tob Could it be possible that standard GT500s will get aluminum hoods and a possible R-spec version gets composite? Or do you speculate that all the GT500's will get the carbon hood?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
That's the million dollar question.

"A" GT500 will get the version shown but possibly not all...

Users who are viewing this thread