Anyone else frustrated with Ford over the next GT500?

C0bra99

Established Member
I for one am all over this. Glad about only one car and no R version. DCT is again another advancement of the breed. Hopefully we get more specs today.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

C0bra99

Established Member
I wanted a demon type GT500. Street/strip. And not for $100k. A mclaren 720 will run 9's. But so with a turbo fox with the correct setup. See my point?
Then get a Demon. All other manufacturers are done with the one trick pony cars. I'm greedy and want it all in a car.

Monster5.0

5.0>Terminator
Established Member
Then get a Demon. All other manufacturers are done with the one trick pony cars. I'm greedy and want it all in a car.

They are too heavy. You can make a similar car without making it 4500lbs.

Colleton

Established Member
No, I'm pleased with what I've seen.

I owned an '09, an '11, a '13 and finally a '14 GT500. My favs were the '11 and the '14. Wish I'd never sold them. That said... My '15 5.0 GT out handled any of the GT500s and was more fun to drive. My '17 GT350 takes that to another level. The only way Ford is going to get me back into a GT500 is to offer at least GT350 level handling along with the HP grunt the GT350 lacks.

boduke0220 (up above) is right when he says that the new GT500 has to run with the Camaro ZL1, and that includes the track as well as the street or strip.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Any time line for the Bronco reveal? This year by chance?

Yes, this year.

Any facts / data to back that up?

What were the times?

Let's just stick to monetary bets. Same day same driver, verifiable standardized conditions. It will be easy to make happen. Name whatever price you feel comfortable with. Track pack GT500 vs. current ZL1 1LE.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Let's just stick to monetary bets. Same day same driver, verifiable standardized conditions. It will be easy to make happen. Name whatever price you feel comfortable with. Track pack GT500 vs. current ZL1 1LE.

Who is arguing the 1LE will be faster?

Nonsense. The 500's DCT alone will close any gap on a road course and make manually shifted cars seem slow.

paluka21

Established Member
I honestly like what I see with the car; the aero, DCT, 2650 TVS, wider more competent wheels, Magnaride, etc. Looking forward to hearing actual numbers regarding weight, power, performance, and of course price points.
Not sure I care for the rotary dial for gear selection either, but would have to drive one. Probably a non-factor in the end and just something to get used to.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Yes, this year.

That seems a little advantageous, to say the least.... lol.

Okay, I’ll bite.

Here is my bet... TP 500 will not put up a time 0.5 faster than the 1LE at VIR, once car and driver gets a hold of it.

I’ll put $100 on it.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
That seems a little advantageous, to say the least.... lol.

Okay, I’ll bite.

Here is my bet... TP 500 will not put up a time 0.5 faster than the 1LE at VIR, once car and driver gets a hold of it.

I’ll put $100 on it.

Car and Driver is not a good bet because they just do not employ any kind of decent methodology to their testing. They publish times from various times in the day when ambient and track temps can be very different. You can get one car tested at 8 AM when it's 65* and one at 2 PM when it's 85*. It's a rotating cast of drivers even on the same day. Some are faster, some are slower; all are way off of a pro and are way more affected by the type of car. Big power downforce cars require a level of talent that is getting harder and harder for a magazine to accurately represent. You have guys being asked to keep their foot to the floor at 170 mph in a bend in a car that isn't theirs, without a cage.

Even knowing that, I *think* C&D would still be likely put up more than 0.5 seconds between GT500 and 1LE because the DCT eliminates one of the most driver-dependent functions in the car, especially at such a high speed track.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Car and Driver is not a good bet because they just do not employ any kind of decent methodology to their testing. They publish times from various times in the day when ambient and track temps can be very different. You can get one car tested at 8 AM when it's 65* and one at 2 PM when it's 85*. It's a rotating cast of drivers even on the same day. Some are faster, some are slower; all are way off of a pro and are way more affected by the type of car. Big power downforce cars require a level of talent that is getting harder and harder for a magazine to accurately represent. You have guys being asked to keep their foot to the floor at 170 mph in a bend in a car that isn't theirs, without a cage.

Even knowing that, I *think* C&D would still be likely put up more than 0.5 seconds between GT500 and 1LE because the DCT eliminates one of the most driver-dependent functions in the car.

I understand that, but it is the best way I know off, that both cars will be getting tested in almost identical conditions, relatively soon, by an unbiased source.

Let me know if you would like to accept my terms and we can lock in that bet.

blk02edge

Established Member
Who is arguing the 1LE will be faster?

Nonsense. The 500's DCT alone will close any gap on a road course and make manually shifted cars seem slow.
Only for average drivers, fast shifting doesnt amount to a lot on track. The 1LE is still set up like a race car, it wont be a murder show. I think C&D will destroy the 1Le with the 500 but the Randy P hot laps not so much. I'll guess >1sec @laguna

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Here's a much better look, including the rotary knob ;)

Thank you Knob Man.

After 3 years and hundreds of bunk insider leaks, you finally got one for us a couple of weeks before the debut. It's easily the most important part of this car and was definitely the information that we cared about.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member

Even knowing that, I *think* C&D would still be likely put up more than 0.5 seconds between GT500 and 1LE because the DCT eliminates one of the most driver-dependent functions in the car, especially at such a high speed track.

Are you at liberty to say how close in performance Ford let this car get to the GT?

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
I understand that, but it is the best way I know off, that both cars will be getting tested in almost identical conditions, relatively soon, by an unbiased source.

Let me know if you would like to accept my terms and we can lock in that bet.

That's as much a bet about C&D as it is about the cars though. I'll think about it.

Are you at liberty to say how close in performance Ford let this car get to the GT?

I do not know anyone at FP or FMC that makes any consideration between the two. The entire expenditure of GT was related to getting on the podium for 2016, so outside of that, it is what it is.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
That's as much a bet about C&D as it is about the cars though. I'll think about it.

I do not know anyone at FP or FMC that makes any consideration between the two. The entire expenditure of GT was related to getting on the podium for 2016, so outside of that, it is what it is.

With your resources, I’ll think about it likely means (take 500 to VIR and get data)... lol.

Alright man, let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread