Anyone ever deal with Detroit Wheel & Tire in Troy, MI?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
When I bought my 2016 Edge Sport, it came with the standard polished 20" wheels. Now, 7 months later I am thinking about switching to the optional black 21" wheels, but the dealer pricing is way high. I haven't found an aftermarket 20"-21" black wheel that I like as much as the 21" factory black wheel. Has anyone ever dealt with Detroit Wheel & Tire? They re-coat factory wheels and their prices are much cheaper. But does the quality of their wheel coating hold up? Is their customer service good?

I'm basically looking for info on the company, as well as any other recommendations or suggestions you might have.

This is the factory wheel that I have installed.
fd79e9e0244040d7c0e9a4b823cf152dx.jpg

This is the factory wheel that I would prefer.
4aea25c2b33a44cb8e67e687d41b03b0!20170323060257000.jpg

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Subscribed, I want those wheels as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

04MysticCobra

Established Member
Hey Bob,

Don't know much about Detroit wheel and tire but some here have bought the OEM 13/14 Shelby wheels from Midwest wheel/tire and have been very happy. The prices at Midwest are better for that wheel and I checked the shipping cost that would be the same from either company. Midwest wheel is in Auburn Hills Mich. which is real close to Troy and outside of Detroit.

https://detroitwheelandtire.com/hol-10048-black-pvd-ow.html

http://midwestwheelandtire.com/product/ford-edge-2015-2016-10048h-alloy-wheel-rim

The ebay link that 13COBRA posted above does have a lower sale price but I would make sure they are the same wheel. That ad says Gunmetal Hypersilver and the Detroit and Midwest sites say PVD Black. They could be the same wheel. Good luck with your search and post pics if you end up getting them.

M91196

Established Member
Bought a set of their factory Ford wheels refinished in PVD with new tires. No issues with transaction, packaging or service. Shipping is not cheap but it's not to bad when you factor the effort to package the stuff to safely make it thru big browns gauntlet to your front door.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
check on the cost of tires before you pull the trigger. 21" is an oddball size which not too many options available.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Hey Bob, don't know much about Detroit wheel and tire but some here have bought the OEM 13/14 Shelby wheels from Midwest wheel/tire and have been very happy. The prices at Midwest are better for that wheel and I checked the shipping cost that would be the same from either company. Midwest wheel is in Auburn Hills Mich. which is real close to Troy and outside of Detroit.

https://detroitwheelandtire.com/hol-10048-black-pvd-ow.html

http://midwestwheelandtire.com/product/ford-edge-2015-2016-10048h-alloy-wheel-rim

The ebay link that 13COBRA posted above does have a lower sale price but I would make sure they are the same wheel. That ad says Gunmetal Hypersilver and the Detroit and Midwest sites say PVD Black. They could be the same wheel. Good luck with your search and post pics if you end up getting them.
Thanks for that link to Midwest Wheel & Tire. Yeah, I noticed the finish name difference right away, which is a red flag until and if I can confirm it's indeed the OEM finish.

Bought a set of their factory Ford wheels refinished in PVD with new tires. No issues with transaction, packaging or service. Shipping is not cheap but it's not to bad when you factor the effort to package the stuff to safely make it thru big browns gauntlet to your front door.
Thanks. I'm going to call them on Monday and ask a few questions.

Thanks Nick. That is a great price if the finish is the same as the factory OEMs.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
check on the cost of tires before you pull the trigger. 21" is an oddball size which not too many options available.
That seems to be true, Steve. Tire Rack has only 2 all-season tire options for the 21", and 12 for the 20".

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
That seems to be true, Steve. Tire Rack has only 2 all-season tire options for the 21", and 12 for the 20".

i also read complaints from people about the stock 22s riding really stiff. small sidewalls make for a stiff ride. i thought about putting 22s on my exp sport but it rides stiff enough as it is lol.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Hey Bob, I purchased an OEM wheel from them for my F-150. I was pleased with them and would buy again.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
You mean these wheels.....
00cd87b0d1426b43bae22bf041a93f0e.jpg

Worth every penny for the looks. Truck is just sinister. Ride isn't bad at all either. Our first edge sport(buy back) had the 20's and it rode the exact same. You do feel the weight a little more in the steering but not enough to warrant not getting them.

Tires are a mofo though. $400+ per tire from last I checked for a decent summer tire. We ended up buying a set of 18" winter wheels and tires from tire rack since I knew the all season tires would be worthless in any indication of snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
i also read complaints from people about the stock 22s riding really stiff. small sidewalls make for a stiff ride. i thought about putting 22s on my exp sport but it rides stiff enough as it is lol.
Yes, the ride is stiffer with the larger wheel. That is a trade-off. I just tallied up the cost for a set of four (wheels, tires, shipping, installation) and it's just over $3K. I love the darker wheels, but do I want to spend that much. If I keep the wheels I have and mount snow tires for the winter (which I would do), that's another $1200.00.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Bob, have you looked on Craigslist?

Doing a quick search from Boston, expanded search area, I saw three sets of 22's, some with tires, for decent money.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
The wheels are 21" on the new Edge Sports. The older model had the 22's.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
you could rock the 21s/22s during spring/summer and then put snow tires on the 20s for the cold months. depending on how much driving you do the tires could last you.

M91196

Established Member
For my application I purchased the highest profile narrowest Blizzak and cheap alloy wheels from Tire Rack for winter driving, this was surprising reasonable solution that works so much better than the 255 wides.

Users who are viewing this thread