anyone have a weight reduction break down

c. love

Established Member
A quick search revealed replaced seats of course but not much else came up.

Any one have a break down of what can be removed without creating a car that looks like a chop shop recovery? also listing the weights of those items would be nice too.

Ive always thought 3-400lbs or more off these cars would make them so much better. Although you could remove sway bars and Strut tower braces I like the handling so those must stay. Of course replacing glass with race glass would kill weight but are there some streetable itmes

So what i am looking for--
seat weights?
anyone know the weight of sound deading material?
Are some of the after market hood lighter? ( i want a cobra r hood)
weights of interior panels.
Front replaceable members worth it?
I think i read somewhere about rear axle weights, did i make this up? what is the downside to removing them if i did in fact read that

what else is there. Keep in mind its gotta be a street car reduction not a racecar reduction

c. love

Established Member
better to concentrate on rotating weight first.

Lighter wheels, DS, etc.

Wheels done. Drive shaft might help my power output and response but it alone wont help me or the car feel more stable.

I'm not a drag racer nor will my car ever see a drag strip under my owner ship so reducing weight to go faster in a straight line is of little help to me (although lower weight helps there too). These things handle like a 1970's upright freezer on wheels. A good suspension goes a long way but reducing the weight by my aforementioned couple hundred pounds would make these cars a million times better. I cant imagine how great these cars would be at 3200 lbs or less

SCalla1384

Established Member
Aluminum driveshaft for sure. That was one of my first mods and my favorite. 18-20lbs

Lighten/polished gears - 6lbs (less drivetrain loss)

Tubular K/A arms - 35-40lbs

Corbeau seats - 40-45lbs

Full exhaust - not sure? Imagine about 75lbs?

Rear suspension, tubular LCA/UPC/PHB will shed weight

Any sound deadening, engine bay etc..

Pull trunk stuff

Tubular radiator support. No sway bar. I didn't notice a difference when I pulled my sway bar off. Felt the same.

Coil overs will shed weight.

Plenty more things, just what I can come up with off the top of my head.

Deranged2013

Established Member
Aluminum driveshaft for sure. That was one of my first mods and my favorite. 18-20lbs

Lighten/polished gears - 6lbs (less drivetrain loss)

Tubular K/A arms - 35-40lbs

Corbeau seats - 40-45lbs

Full exhaust - not sure? Imagine about 75lbs?

Rear suspension, tubular LCA/UPC/PHB will shed weight

Any sound deadening, engine bay etc..

Pull trunk stuff

Tubular radiator support. No sway bar. I didn't notice a difference when I pulled my sway bar off. Felt the same.

Coil overs will shed weight.

Plenty more things, just what I can come up with off the top of my head.

Just to add a couple things to this list,

Rear seat delete kit should save about 30 to 40lbs.

Weight transfer, like moving the battery to the trunk. I've been thinking about doing this soon.

Anyone know where i can get gears ligheted and polished and know how much it costs?

Curious as well. I also think this will help get rid of gear whine after installing a UCA and alum DS.

c. love

Established Member
I don't promote plagiarizing, but somebody should copy/sticky this over here so people can add too it: WWW.S197FORUM.COM

Unless you are really ambitious I wouldn't go for the sound deadening on the floor. There is about 7lbs to be had and it is free, but it sucks digging it out: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/13272007-post76.html

havent read article ....yet. Sound deading is pretty easy usually you throw dry ice on it and done. However, these cars are pretty new and I bet it wont be that easy

Deranged2013

Established Member
We offer gears with a lightning and polishing service.

Motive 8.8 Ring and Pinion - Justin's Performance Center

But just to be clear you will notice more gear noise with the polishing then you would otherwise notice. But if you've got a tolerance for noise then it's not a big deal.

I don't doubt you because you guys do this stuff for a living, but every site that I Googled on REM finishing stated that one of the benefits is less NVH.

I have had my rear seat out and I don't see how it would be 30-40 pounds. Maybe 15 if you pulled the seatbelts too.

I was just going by what American Muscle advertises with their Rear Seat delete kit. They say up to 30 lbs. Either way, my rear seat is never used so it's coming out soon.

ExTurbo

Established Member
I was going to make a post about this earlier as i was looking around for a list. I made my own just to get an idea of what was possible. even if you arent drag racing the car, taking weight off the front end will at least improve the weight distribution on the car.

K member 18lbs
A-arms 11lbs
radiator support saves 8 lbs
front and rear bumper supports save 24lbs
remove jack and spare (id keep it in except for track days) not sure but id guess at least 30-40lbs...if someone could weigh it that would help)
rear seat delete, say 20-30lbs
wheels and tires, if you are drag racing im told this can save almost 70lbs with skinnies
aluminum DS 20lbs

Im thinking exhaust could save a few lbs, headers i cant imagine being that much lighter than the stock manifolds as they arent cast iron. maybe a cat delete could save weight.

Aluminum flywheel, not sure how much weight savings is possible there, depends on your budget and how much drivability you are willing to give up

race brakes, expensive but unsprung and rotating

Id say you can do at least 150-200lbs before you start getting really expensive. and it depends on what you are willing to do. A lot of things are "off road" use only. personally that wouldnt hold me back but i know for some it definitely would

twistedneck

Established Member
CF tiger racing hood is an 18lb save and gives you less drag at high speed.

Light weight lithium battery is only 9lbs and its streetable. saves 21lbs.

Girodisc rotors save 5lbs per front wheel and 3.5lbs per rear wheel and handle heat better.

Front strut brace is almost 10lbs and doesn't do much for stiffness in an S197. We need torsional stiffness improvement more than lateral. if anything the slight amount of strut flex adds steering via decreased camber - at the expense of precision.

Of course the aftermarket front bumper support. Not sure i'd remove the rear one for a street car. 12lbs

Don't do tube a-arms they usually cant hold up to street use on S197.. not all vendors of course but that is the trend. K-members are great but to get them off is a major pain and probably only should be done when you are going to pull the motor for some other reason.

twistedneck

Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread