Anyone Own Their Own Business?

65fastback2+2

Established Member
thats a huge question. businesses can be started for cheap or 100's of thousands of dollars.

You thinking about starting one?

george.arnold

Established Member
I own my own business. Tejas Land Services, Inc. I'm an independent petroleum landman. $300 to file the papers with the state. That's all it takes.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
i co-owned a business with a friend.

my advice to you...no matter what follow this.

1) dont use investors. they will suck the life out of you. they make the money, not you.
2) dont partner with your best friend.

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
I've always been interested in electronics and video technology. So I started to buy broken but current video gear and repairing it myself. Then I used to just resell it. But after the first few phone calls asking me if I had any of the stuff for rent that's exactly what I started doing. I would go to all the broadcast equipment auctions and buy up decks, mixing consoles, monitors and anything else that was available. Bring it home and service it, then put it up for rent or lease. After the fifth year I was doing all the business that I was interested in handling. Must have started at just the right time, and gotten tired of working at just the right time too. Now I only work a few hours a week.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
i co-owned a business with a friend.

my advice to you...no matter what follows this.

1) dont use investors. they will suck the life out of you. they make the money, not you.
2) dont partner with your best friend.

good advice. Never do business with best friends of family.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
Yah I am looking at opening my own bar.

for a bar....assuming all correct amenities to make it an actual bar worth going to (TV's, food, etc.)....I would say for a decent one, I would expect startup costs somewhere in the $300-400k range (not including land or building, obviously)

65fastback2+2

Established Member
good advice. Never do business with best friends or family.

you can.....if you set it up properly. the problem comes that most think "oh, its a friend or family so there wont be issue" and fail to setup the business properly. then they have no legal protection for anyone and then thats where the issues happen.

DHGTerminator

aka The "Bullsnake"
Established Member
My dad is in the process of starting one right now, "Bullitt Firearms" about a mile from my house. We have been avid gun collectors and owners for year, and it's his passion, not to mention he has a job making 100k+ per year, so his life won't be dependent on it, but he should make good money, especially when Democrats get voted in ;).

Only bad part, is that with the name of the company, he'll be all over wanting to drive my car as some sort of 'Mascot'. So we're in the process of trying to find a Terminator in the meantime that I can drive when this happens :-D

boxinabag

Established Member
My dad owned a Landscaping company for 12 years.

It is a very easy business to start, he just started with residents, and two years in his income was past 75K a year, and he only worked 6 months out of the year for most of them.

Than before we knew it he was able to afford commercial mowers, than got some contracts, and was making a retarded amount of money mowing grass... The downfall to the business was his age. It is hard work, and a 67 year old doesn't want to do that all day than handle paperwork all night.

He had no money when he started, he had just retired from the Corvette plant in Wentzville, so he was ok for a bit.

Now he is a park ranger, and couldn't be happier.

I think it cost less than $300 to get the licensing.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
I also did wedding videography for about 7 years. 98 to 2005. start up was about 10 grand. had a home office and studio. i just did it as a side business to supplement the income. I only did maybe 2-3 wedding per month at 1,500 to 2 grand per wedding. i really enjoyed doing that. after i left my wife, 2 weeks had passed and i went to get all my video equipment and it was gone. dont know what happened to it. she wouldnt say in court. I didnt have the funds to get back in it. i did all my own advertising. after my first year, i stayed booked 6 months in advance.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I've had my part-time gasket making business for over 6 years now. Start-up costs were moderate (for me). Around $8K for the steel gasket templates, $7K for the workshop and furnishings. Advertising and marketing was/is minimal as I just didn't/don't have the funds. Can't put a dollar number on my research and development work as I did it all myself. If you're doing a local business then your advertising/marketing costs should be lower than they would be if you're selling on a website. Actual costs for starting a business depends, of course, on the type of business.

WHITESVTCOBRA

Established Member
Had one renting out projectors and screens for pharmaceutical companies, wasn't anything big but made some pretty good cash on the side since i was waiting tables at the restaurant where they were being rented from.

16kOrBust

Established Member
I had my own business teaching private music lessons (legit business and lessons, unlike a lot of what you see out there in this field...). I started out with a lesson room, then realized I could get a lot more business offering to travel to some students (at appropriate rates, of course), then eventually got strictly into traveling to students. Rent was a couple hundred a month for the lesson room I had near my home. Advertising was pretty cheap, more involving legwork, word of mouth, internet advertising, etc. I did need some equipment for the room when I had it that I had to buy, so say a few hundred there (nothing crazy). Had to buy my own insurance, etc, and that wasn't cheap.

The business was actually going really well but surprisingly, I just didn't enjoy it at all. The scheduling was beyond hectic and it was also sucking all of the creative, musical energy out of my life. So when I was offered a good paying, permanent job with full benefits and a schedule I love, I couldn't say no even though it wasn't at all music related. At one point I was in the process of putting an actual music school/store plan together but after seeing how the scheduling and everything was going to be with the lessons and such, I just decided it wasn't what I wanted to be doing long-term.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread