Anyone running livernois shortblock? Who's running what?

svteezy

Established Member
I am in the process of trying to pick out the best rotating assembly for my coyote fox body. I destroyed the motor after going turbo only 3 days after it was tuned. Broke 2 rods, Bent 1 rod, and broke 2 pistons. Also destroyed the block. I just picked up a good stock shortblock to start my build with. I have been looking at livernois's h-beam and livernois custom pistons and just wondering if anyone is running this combo? I'm not trying to go super crazy with power because I dont want to get into caving in the cylinder walls. Looking to be around 750-800 rwhp with my baby PT71/75 billet wheel turbo.

Torchy

Established Member
What power level were you at when that happened? I'll be interested to see the responses here too. In a similar boat as you. Building a motor.

CPRsm

I'd look into livernois. They have a good rep, so does JPC w RGR engines. I've had good experiances w MMR also. But you will have a hard time making that power w that turbo.

grnenvy

Established Member
I have been doing some research on this and I don't think u can go wrong with any of the kits sold. If your building the block locally I would worry more about the shop doing the hone on the cylinders more then the parts your using. Ring seal is very important so make sure u buy a kit that requires a 5 over hone. I would also buy it unbalanced and let your local shop do it as long as they know what there doing. U maybe better off selling the block u have and buy a finished short block. All the aftermarket setups are stronger its just about how much u want to spend. I have been kicking over the Diamond piston setup but I'm not sure the extra money spent is any better then the Manley setup sold buy MMR. Both setups seem to be doing awesome in a couple diff cars.

OveRBoreD

Established Member
I am in the process of trying to pick out the best rotating assembly for my coyote fox body. I destroyed the motor after going turbo only 3 days after it was tuned. Broke 2 rods, Bent 1 rod, and broke 2 pistons. Also destroyed the block. I just picked up a good stock shortblock to start my build with. I have been looking at livernois's h-beam and livernois custom pistons and just wondering if anyone is running this combo? I'm not trying to go super crazy with power because I dont want to get into caving in the cylinder walls. Looking to be around 750-800 rwhp with my baby PT71/75 billet wheel turbo.

Hey man I'm in the biloxi area. I have hellion twins on my 2011 and would love to see the coyote fox. I believe I have seen your fox before at the track and talked to you at a car show awhile back. You were with the guy in the white boss. What the heck happened? I have heard great things about livernois and have seen their name more and more lately.

Edit: Nevermind you are the one with the boss.

What power level were you at when that happened? I'll be interested to see the responses here too. In a similar boat as you. Building a motor.

Same question for you torchy...what happened? The hellions went on about a week ago for me. Good luck.

Last edited:

svteezy

Established Member
The car made 596hp and 560tq and the run was cut short to 6300rpms. That's was with my 4r70w and 275 Mickey T radials. This was on 10# of boost. The Reason we couldn't run the car to 7500rpms was because I had a 3.27 gear in the car and it was getting so much mph on the dyno the tires grew into the front of the rear quarter panels and started eating up my tires. I think 750hp is possible if I turn up the boost on it. It wasn't hardly in its efficiency at 10psi... I'm thinking 10:1:1 compression and 15psi on pump gas

That is me I'm from Ocean Springs. My dad has the white Vortech Boss. I'd love to see your twin setup and also get you out to sonic and put the hurtin on the ls crowd.

stang8psi

Established Member
if you bought a stock block, no need for a .005 over piston.. All the companies/vendors use either manley (mmr,BBR,) or Ross (MMR,Livernois) pistons and they all have them in std bore 3.630-3.631 size, so no machine work will be needed.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Is a torque plate hone required with these blocks when freshening up or will they seal as well without the plate? My last build the machinist ordered a torque plate just for my build but something went wrong with that engine, not going back there.

Eric@jpc

Established Member
Is a torque plate hone required with these blocks when freshening up or will they seal as well without the plate? My last build the machinist ordered a torque plate just for my build but something went wrong with that engine, not going back there.

you really should use a torque plate so the cylinder will stay true in the Hone/Bore Process

When done with out a torque plate on a aluminum block the cylinder tends to "open up" at the top

Also if your using a used block i would check the walls to see if a .005 over or .010 over piston will be needed

If the walls are mint you might must need a quick hone to promote good ring seal

stang8psi

Established Member

yes... I wouldn't go to a machine shop that wouldn't use one.. also provide your machine shop a extra head gasket.. either side so it can also be used with the torque plate.

svteezy

Established Member
I talked to Livernois the other day and for $1,999 I can send them my short block and they will put the Manley H beams and their custom coated pistons. I've heard rumor they are made by diamond. Sounds like a pretty sweet deal. Just have to pay shipping there and back which sucks

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Just talked with Eric @ JPC for a bit, they've got a good short block program going. Bummer I have to ship across the country but that's all part of the game.

D.T.R

Established Member
I talked to Livernois the other day and for $1,999 I can send them my short block and they will put the Manley H beams and their custom coated pistons. I've heard rumor they are made by diamond. Sounds like a pretty sweet deal. Just have to pay shipping there and back which sucks
you're basically that $1999 will cover parts and labor ? all you have to provide is the block and crank?

Eric@jpc

Established Member
Just talked with Eric @ JPC for a bit, they've got a good short block program going. Bummer I have to ship across the country but that's all part of the game.

Good talking to you today man. Im seeing what i can do on a Core block now

Thanks boss!!

:beer:

svteezy

Established Member
you really should use a torque plate so the cylinder will stay true in the Hone/Bore Process

When done with out a torque plate on a aluminum block the cylinder tends to "open up" at the top

Also if your using a used block i would check the walls to see if a .005 over or .010 over piston will be needed

If the walls are mint you might must need a quick hone to promote good ring seal

Good talking to you today man. Im seeing what i can do on a Core block now

Thanks boss!!

:beer:

Eric, I need to talk to you also about the short block build. I've got a friend that has a motor built by your builder and he is very happy.

Users who are viewing this thread