Anyone trade in a modified Terminator?

Konaboss302

Funtime!!!
Established Member
Hey all, a couple dealerships around me have Boss 302s on the lot and before I get the itch too bad I was wondering if anyone had traded in a modded Cobra and how the mods worked with trade in value? Mines a pretty simple 2.2 Kenne Bell car, nothing crazy. 45k miles and in great shape aside from some small rock chips on the front bumper. Any insight would be appreciated!

jojomofo21

Twin Screw Yourself
Established Member
Better off selling outright. Trade in always sucks, no matter what car it is.

Sent from my iPhone while I should be working.

LSX_Terminator

Established Member

+1...Dealerships dont care whats done to the car. You will never get your money back out of a trade in. I know from experience.

Colt .45

Established Member

I traded my whippled 03 cobra in on a 13 boss and I got 15k for it. Mods did not increase the value and the dealershiP told me they would prefer if it was stock.

2004silvercobra

Established Member
It depends on the dealership.. I got 22k 2yrs ago for my kb2.2 with nitrous and I traded it because it got hit and even with it getting fixed I just didn't want it but it was clean and the manager loved it... it did sit on there lot for a few because they wanted a shit ton but it eventually got sold...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

postalbunny

Established Member
You're better off selling private party... but if you're going to trade it in at least visit kbb/nada and get an idea of what to expect for "trade-in value".

I'd take it to carmax and get a "good faith estimate" so you at least have one offer to counter with when they low-ball you. Don't expect to get any $ for the mods you've put in. That value comes from private party, and even then some people prefer stock.

ChrisMustang

Established Member
I used to work for a Ford Dealership. They prefer stock cars, and dont pay extra for mods. They do all their homework of book values and auction values.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Definitely sell it private. I would only trade it if the dealer were offering you a super trade. I've only seen that once here, though. And that was because the manager just absolutely wanted the car. Probably for himself.

black 10th vert

Established Member
Honestly you will fair the best if you take some time to put it back to semi-stock (Eaton blower). You will get a minimum of $2k just for the blower separate from the car, and it won't likely bring a dime more than a comparable condition, stock Eaton car would sell for. There is no way in hell that I would sell mine as is, unless someone wanted the car in it's current form, and understood the value of the work, and mods in it (and of course was willing to pay above the current market price of a comparable, stock Cobra).

'03snkbt

Call it like I see it....
Established Member
private sale ONLY if car is modded!
car dealers won't give you squat but make a killing (most of the time) on the flip!

oldmodman

Established Member
I watched a friend asking the same question when he wanted to buy another car.

He pulled off every aftermarket part and sold everything separately.

Once the car was stock he got 2K more than they offered modded, plus he sold the polished Whipple, BAP, Billetflow intake and TB, pillar mount and gauges, MGW shifter, aluminum tanks, put the stock tune back into the car and got rid of his SCT 3, stainless exhaust, X pipe with cats, put the stock 10 spline shaft and factory clutch back in, and got more than seven thousand for all the parts.

So it was really worth it to go back to stock. At least for him, since he could do all the work himself.

black 10th vert

Established Member
I watched a friend asking the same question when he wanted to buy another car.

He pulled off every aftermarket part and sold everything separately.

Once the car was stock he got 2K more than they offered modded, plus he sold the polished Whipple, BAP, Billetflow intake and TB, pillar mount and gauges, MGW shifter, aluminum tanks, put the stock tune back into the car and got rid of his SCT 3, stainless exhaust, X pipe with cats, put the stock 10 spline shaft and factory clutch back in, and got more than seven thousand for all the parts.

So it was really worth it to go back to stock. At least for him, since he could do all the work himself.

That's exactly the type of situation I was talking about. It all comes down to how desperate to sell, or how much time you have to prepare the car for sale. If someone is just plain sick of the car, or doesn't still have the stock parts, they will just cut their losses and let it go as is. Literally, the only parts that I can't undo are the welded in FLSFCs, rear STB, and FTBR bushings, but everything else on the car is completely reversible.

SpectorV

Established Member
some banks give you a period of time after purchase before the loan is closed so you can sell your car then use the money to pay down on the load. You pay interest in the middle of that time, its like 90 days or so. I did it (but didnt need it) but if the car wont sell in that time then you have the entire loan amt to deal with~

nol300

Established Member
I gave a customer I think good money about 2 years ago a customer of mine traded a 2004 vert 8k miles 3.4 whipple and all the goodies older guy. I gave him 28k trade but he did have all original parts and all paperwork. I did sell it for 32 but after you add in tax savings he would have only gained a 1000 by selling himself and I had it on the lot for 4 months.

Pic of the one he traded
photobucket-1945-1322711777026.jpg

Last edited:

Konaboss302

Funtime!!!
Established Member
I got the deal done yesterday. They ended up giving me 17k, and in reality I didn't view that as bad. Selling the car in Montana would ha e been slow going anyway. I'm sorry to see her go, but the new steed is definitely up there on the fun factor!
dyqamadu.jpg

black 10th vert

Established Member
Congrats on getting what you wanted. As long as you are comfortable with what they offered that is what counts. For me personally, just knowing that I could have netted an extra $2.5k, from just swapping the blower back to stock, and selling it separately would have been unsettling, but that's just me.

Sweet looking new ride, though!:beer:

quad

Established Member
I traded my whippled 03 cobra in on a 13 boss and I got 15k for it. Mods did not increase the value and the dealershiP told me they would prefer if it was stock.

Damn that was a ripoff. You got hosed by over 10-15k. Why did you not just sell it? The extra effort would surely be worth 15K. That's over 600 hours at 25 per hour or almost 4 months work?!

How many miles on the car?

nextime

Termi? Read Signature
Established Member
Mods on a trade-in can hurt the value. Take off the mods if possible and sell or trade them outright.

Like others say dealers don't care for mods unless they are factory option mods.

Qwk GT

Established Member
congrats on your new ride.

You could've demodded it and traded it in. Or you could've done that autotrader gauranteed trade in thing. The dealer has to give you what the offer is as long as the car is as described.

But thats where they try to get you I guess in the "as described". But I know when you do that gauranteed trade the value goes down if its not stock.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
Hey all, a couple dealerships around me have Boss 302s on the lot and before I get the itch too bad I was wondering if anyone had traded in a modded Cobra and how the mods worked with trade in value? Mines a pretty simple 2.2 Kenne Bell car, nothing crazy. 45k miles and in great shape aside from some small rock chips on the front bumper. Any insight would be appreciated!

An average dealer generally will lower the price on modified vehicles, doesnt matter how nice they are. Specalty dealers will work with you, but like someone already said, sell it private party instead of trading it in.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread