Anyone with a 2.7L EB F150 regret not getting the 3.5?

stang910

Established Member
I've owned both, currently own a 3.5 eco. Overall I think I would go with the 2.7 because the gas mileage is a lot better. No doubt the 3.5 is faster, but there isn't a huge difference unless your talking about tuned trucks.

Coiled03

Established Member
I've owned both, currently own a 3.5 eco. Overall I think I would go with the 2.7 because the gas mileage is a lot better. No doubt the 3.5 is faster, but there isn't a huge difference unless your talking about tuned trucks.

How much is "a lot" better?

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
My company vehicle is a 2018 F150 XLT Supercrew with a 3.3L. That truck is no slouch and I'm more than happy with the engine in it. I imagine the 2.7L EB would be more than enough.

Honestly, if I got one for myself, I would probably just get a 5.0L since it wouldn't stay stock and has more potential.

nxhappy

Established Member
You DONT want the older EBs IE pre 2013. The older EBs have timing chain issues. I believe after 2012 is when they stopped having issues. Get a 14+ for sure ...

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
It all depends on how the truck treat's me these next three years. The buy out would be around 29k.

The crappy part is, Minnesota uses salt on the roads in the winter. So it's just a matter of time before any daily driver gets rust.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Same here in Ohio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Same here in Ohio.

That's why it sucks having a nice daily driver. You can spend 50k on a new vehicle and if you plan on keeping it for sometime rust will show. I've seen trucks only 6 year's old that have rust on them

This is the first new vehicle I've ever had. At the end of the lease I'll have to make a decision on if I want something new again, and have a full warranty so no money out of my wallet. And just keep having a truck payment, which kinda sucks. But I'll tell you, driving something new is very nice.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
That's why it sucks having a nice daily driver. You can spend 50k on a new vehicle and if you plan on keeping it for sometime rust will show. I've seen trucks only 6 year's old that have rust on them

This is the first new vehicle I've ever had. At the end of the lease I'll have to make a decision on if I want something new again, and have a full warranty so no money out of my wallet. And just keep having a truck payment, which kinda sucks. But I'll tell you, driving something new is very nice.

I’ve thought about the lease. But would have to buy it out at the end. With my work commute and driving I average 20k miles a year. I’ve been looking at 16 XLT Sports with the 2.7. They have some with the 5.0 but haven’t seen any with the 3.5.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I’ve thought about the lease. But would have to buy it out at the end. With my work commute and driving I average 20k miles a year. I’ve been looking at 16 XLT Sports with the 2.7. They have some with the 5.0 but haven’t seen any with the 3.5.

I only put 6-7k miles a year, and minimum mileage I could do was 10,500 per year. So I'll be cruising in the F-150 often to get the miles on.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
I just can’t get over how the 2.7 is damn near the size of a 4-banger.

A 4-cylinder full size? What is this, Europe?!

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

JpL4K3

Established Member
You DONT want the older EBs IE pre 2013. The older EBs have timing chain issues. I believe after 2012 is when they stopped having issues. Get a 14+ for sure ...
I would argue not to buy any year prior to 18+ since they finally added direct and port injection to the 2.7L in 2018. Not sure about the 3.5L though.

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
my brother in law has a 2.7EB and it's a rocket. He's had it a couple years now and it's been a great truck. It's a great daily driver engine if you're not going to be towing something like 10k+ pounds. His truck averages about 1.5 mpg overall more than my 2013 5.0L Super Crew, even with his 35" LT tires.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
We have a few 2.7 at work. Peppy engine for sure, but always feels like it needs to be at full boil to get anything out of it. Fuel mileage goes to $hit anytime the turbos are working, but that's standard for all the EB engines. Curious how it will hold up in the long term.

Coiled03

Established Member

Yeah, I've considered leasing, too. But then, you're always paying the most
Hell you can drive everything on the lot where I'm at.

Not me. They ask you for your life history, run a credit report, etc. Soon as I tell them I'm not interested in buying it, the put away the keys.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
We have a few 2.7 at work. Peppy engine for sure, but always feels like it needs to be at full boil to get anything out of it. Fuel mileage goes to $hit anytime the turbos are working, but that's standard for all the EB engines. Curious how it will hold up in the long term.

That's my biggest complaint. Get into boost and good bye fuel mileage. Another reason I like the 5.0 over them all.

I wish they put the 5.0 in the Ford Edge Sport! I do like the 2.7, but I just like the 5.0 so much more. It has power through all the RPMs.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.

Hunter98SVT

Maximum Over Rustle
Established Member
Not me. They ask you for your life history, run a credit report, etc. Soon as I tell them I'm not interested in buying it, the put away the keys.

I'm a salesman at a small family owned Ford dealership. All we ask for is copy of DL and I put a D-plate on. That's it.

How else are you supposed to find the right pick-up if you can't drive your options?

Anyways I have a 3.5L in my 13 FX4 and I love it. Mostly gets bad mileage because I can't keep my foot out of it. I got Ford Performance upgraded turbos and a tune and it moves! Can't go wrong with either the 2.7, 3.5, or 5.0.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
What a great truck.

Personally, I would go with the 2.7 if you don't need the extra power to tow. I'm pretty sure unloaded it's the quickest to 60, or at least it used to be on the PI/DI 3.5s.
Thanks, my salesman had to look all over for this one. Unfortunately, I won't be towing and it has the trailer assist, and 36 gallon tank. Either way it gets better mileage than my 03 5.4 F-150.

RX1Cobra

Established Member

I have a 15 XLT Sport SCab with the 3.5. It's got a ton of power. So far I've only towed a two place sled trailer with one sled on it but didn't even know it was back there. Got about 15 mpg's at 75.

Truck.jpg

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
For the guys who seem to do pretty rough fuel mileage wise, what rear end ratios do you have?

My RS at like 72 would do 30-32 mpg, but at 80 it was like 23-24. These little engines don't like RPM.

Users who are viewing this thread