Are Gt500/KR 50 state compliant.

wearymicrobe

Established Member
Cannot find the answer through search. We have some ridiculous smog and in country import laws to deal with in California.

Does anybody know if the base GT500 is 50 state legal in terms of emissions. Most of the cars that I am looking at are out of state and have sub 7500 miles on them, which means according to the state they are new and as such need to be smogged as new.

Is the gt500KR 50 state compliant as well?

I see a "California Emission" option on some build sheets don't know if they had a 50 state or a 49 elsewhere.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Excellent question. My understanding of GT500's, year 2007 to current, is that they were all 50 state certified. Good luck with your attempted acquisition.

Tob

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
yes they are 50 state legal. ford now days builds just about there entire line on the 50state legal.

wearymicrobe

Established Member
Most excellent. Thanks for the help. I have a 2007 that I like with 705 miles on it that I would like to get.

Going to have to get creative with the modifications, IE CARB intake, ported blower, CNC heads, stuff that I can hide from the CARB police out here. Though I know the KB 2.6 is CARB legal.

Last edited:

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
Most excellent. Thanks for the help. I have a 2007 that I like with 705 miles on it that I would like to get.

Going to have to get creative with the modifications, IE CARB intake, ported blower, CNC heads, stuff that I can hide from the CARB police out here. Though I know the KB 2.6 is CARB legal.

KRs were not made as a 2007 MY

BigDan

Established Member
My nearest Ford dealership in Folsom, Ca had a 08 and 09 KR when I was shopping back in 2010 for a 2011 and there was a sticker on the KR stating "Not for sale in California". I dont know if it got slapped with that because they were sitting on the lot for 2+ years with a ridiculous price or maybe something else happened.

PRP

Established Member
Does anybody know if the base GT500 is 50 state legal in terms of emissions. Most of the cars that I am looking at are out of state and have sub 7500 miles on them, which means according to the state they are new and as such need to be smogged as new.

Is the gt500KR 50 state compliant as well?

I see a "California Emission" option on some build sheets don't know if they had a 50 state or a 49 elsewhere.

All GT500's are CA certified, including the GT500KR.

If memory serves me, the 7500 mile rule only applies to NON CA (i.e. FED or "49-State) certified vehicles.

But DMV may have a different story. They want to keep people from going up to OR and buying a car then not paying any State Sales Tax on it (OR doesn't have Sales Tax). So when you go into DMV to get a "Initial Registration" they may very well want to know the mileage and if it's under 7500, you will pay CA sales tax on the car...at the price you paid for it if you have a bill of sale or at the price THEY say it's worth if you don't.

I know people who have bought out of state vehicles and just told DMV they had over 7500 miles on them so they didn't have to go through all of the DMV BS and pay CA sales tax on top of AZ sales tax. I bought a bike with 4500 on the odo but the reg said it had over 7800 miles on it (and this was from a Registered Auto Dealer!). He went to AZ, bought 5 Harley-Davidson's for him and his friends (to get his dealer cost) and then claimed they all had over 7500 on them.

It's called "Fraud"....if you get caught.

"IF",
Phill

wearymicrobe

Established Member
I am more then willing to pay the sales tax, that part is fine with me its just I don't want to buy a car and have it blacklisted by the state so I cannot register it. The DMV has some super funny rules about stuff like that out here. My Shelby Cobra replica had to be built under the SB100 regs sp they keep a close eye on me I think.

Also picked up a nice older F150 today so I have a bit more time to keep looking for the right car.

Users who are viewing this thread