At What Speed do you just say screw it...

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
its 2am, the road is dark.. youre in your hole and WHAM.. the Radar goes crazy with triple digits..

at what point (speed) do you just say... its not worth it.

2Rare

Against All Odds
Established Member
Yeah, 20yrs ago. State Trooper where I live drive 6.4 Chargers with the low profile bars.

+1. There are a lot of Chargers, Tahoe's and Taurus around here. They use unmarked Impalas as an undercover!

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Crown Vic Tops out at 120 with the light bar correct?
Newer Taurus 131 and 154 in the Caprice?

Incorrect. For the CV, it depends on what year model it is. I have had CV's before that have gone way faster than 120.

Same with the Taurus. Ford offers 3 Police Interceptor models, so the top end will depend on which model pulls out after you. There are NO external differences to tell either.

Chargers, easily in excess of 150MPH top end. Know this firsthand.

Impalas 2011 or older, top end in excess of 140. Know this firsthand, too.

Impalas 2012 and newer, easily see excess of 150. This I know from my 2013 Impala.

Caprice, well, makes everything else look slow.

Also factoid to consider, all manufacturers will put a lower limiter on the vehicles if requested in the purchase contract. Cruisers working in a close city environment will probably never need to see speeds in excess of 100MPH. I know Ford at one point offered the CV with different rear gear ratios for this purpose.

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
Incorrect. For the CV, it depends on what year model it is. I have had CV's before that have gone way faster than 120.

Same with the Taurus. Ford offers 3 Police Interceptor models, so the top end will depend on which model pulls out after you. There are NO external differences to tell either.

Impalas 2012 and newer, easily see excess of 150. This I know from my 2013 Impala.

Also factoid to consider, all manufacturers will put a lower limiter on the vehicles if requested in the purchase contract. Cruisers working in a close city environment will probably never need to see speeds in excess of 100MPH. I know Ford at one point offered the CV with different rear gear ratios for this purpose.

Good info thanks.

Question is still out there... whats the procedure?
(generally speaking.. I know states, even departments differ..)

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Good info thanks.

Question is still out there... whats the procedure?
(generally speaking.. I know states, even departments differ..)

I chase EVERYTHING! No exceptions. Hope that helps too.

9cobra4

Chickennoodlesoup.
Established Member
It depends on the area, if there's hardly any traffic, they're going to chase, they're most likely going to chase unless it's extremely congested, in which case you probably wouldn't be going triple digits anyway. As long as you're not in town and not near a school, you're going to be chased.

JST A HDA

Established Member
Faster you go by me the more I wanna get you. Might outrun me but you wont outrun the radio!

Fastest Ive had the Vic was around 105-110 in the pursuit of a 2011 Toyota Tundra that fled.

Last edited:

Woody6799

Established Member
My CV has hit 127 during a pursuit, but they started putting limiters on the new ones around 122. Im in the Charger now and have not run it past 100 yet.

However, personally, its all about liability. 2 am, running into the trips, assuming its a car, I will probably try to identify it, pull out, and see if I can close the gap and see if he slows down before I light him up. If it is off to the races I am just going to hit the radio and look for the dust cloud or the tire marks...

I wont chase bikes going trips, its just too dangerous and they are just too stupid.

Reminds me of three years ago when a GTR was screaming down the highway. He was doing AT LEAST 130 when he saw me and then I heard the downshift... needless to say he got away...

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Well I hope no cop gives hi speed chase and hurts an innocent person during this selfish pursuit. The authorities should no when to draw the line, if they don't they don't belong in that profession.

Last edited:

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
Well I hope no cop gives hi speed chase and hurts an innocent person during this selfish pursuit. The authorities should no when to draw the line, if they don't they don't belong in that profession.

I notice you say nothing about the persons doing the running...

94Gt5.0

Allgo5oh
Established Member

Your PD has no issues with you doing 140-150+?

highcompression

...who ?
Established Member
If I knew about a punk smart ass officer going THAT fast (endangering the public X2), driving MY cruiser (YES, MY tax dollars) .... I'd raise holy hell. I know many officers in various local PD's ... One a captain, he says (I've asked him "what if - speeding questions) his boys have 60 (or 90 seconds) to call in and get "permission" to pursue, and 98% of the time I tell them NOT to (as long as no other cars are involved, not involved in a crime, etc, .... Said "it's you VS the deer .... Knock yourself out"). We also discussed hot headed cops cops (young and old), are the first to get FIRED. Says it creates too much unwanted and negative public perception ... Nothing more of a headache then a young cop, or even a older one with a chip on his shoulder. My punk ass, change the world neighbor kid cop (long since been fired now), tried to nail me one night on a multitude of charges including fleeing. OK for him and his daddy (still lives at home) to do John Force style burnouts in front of their house. So, long story short, let's just say I MADE him follow me home one night ... And yes, ALL charges were dropped instantly, oh wait ... Bargained a 10 dollar "equipment violation". My point is: you younger, change the world cops .... Watch your ass and don't forget who pays your salary. Wanna get ballsy, got a real set between your legs ? ...... Go pull over a carload of "animals" on the south side of town ... Quit picking of the pretty boys (sober and clean) going a few MPH over.

I don't think some of you cops will ever get it, or will come back highly defensive at me. Before you do, take ONE minute to think about my (our) taxpayers and upright citizens perspective.

Basically what I'm saying is, you want to change your community ? .... Quit picking on "well to do" speeders, and go use your "profiling skills" and get out there and make a difference (again, if you got the balls). I know some of you like to power trip on us "well to do" middle/upper class .... Step outside your realm and make a difference.

Now, my turn to get flamed .... But don't let your emotions blind what I just said, because "some" of it may hold some validity.

highcompression

...who ?
Established Member
Your PD has no issues with you doing 140-150+?

They ought to. "If" that officer decided to take the taxpayers cruiser THAT fast and ENDANGER society FURTHER ..... "If" something were to happen, your PD and local media/community would be all over you guys.

.... I'm biting my tongue so hard, waiting for a "law enforcements" comments. Would prefer a mature one over the age of at least 35 please ..... Smaller community cop should understand more of what I said VS a big city cop.

JST A HDA

Established Member

So the idiot hauling ass is ok if he smashes into someone and causes a death? :bored:

Users who are viewing this thread